Is it safe to run PC overnight?

Mahbub

So last night i discovered that molex to sata cables can catch fire.. i had one in my pc..  today i threw it away and used the normal psu cable instead of the molex to sata..  but now my OCD is going wild.. i cant stop thinking that my pc might catch fire if i keep it on overnight.. how safe is it to keep pc on overnight? For stuff like downloading games and stress tests etc?

Any PC you trust to run for 10 minutes is one you should be able to trust for hours, including overnight.

I have ran my PC overnight hundreds of times and many people on this forum will tell you they run their PC 24/7/365.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

My machines (with a few exceptions) run 24/7/365. My main desktop actually has a molex to dual SATA adapter in it - it's been that way since I built the machine in 2019. No issues yet. Unless your computer has a serious issue (yours does not) you don't have to worry at all about leaving it on. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

11 minutes ago, minibois said:

Any PC you trust to run for 10 minutes is one you should be able to trust for hours, including overnight.

I have run my PC overnight hundreds and times and many people on this forum will tell you they run their PC 24/7/365.

8 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

My machines (with a few exceptions) run 24/7/365. My main desktop actually has a molex to dual SATA adapter in it - it's been that way since I built the machine in 2019. No issues yet. Unless your computer has a serious issue (yours does not) you don't have to worry at all about leaving it on. 

Thanks to both of u.. phew.. makes me feel better..

Anything can catch fire. Doesn't mean it will. If it was a quality connector there's no reason to throw it out (though I don't know why you'd be using it if you already had the native cable on the PSU). I don't turn off my PC. I've never had a fire.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I've probably seen a combined 4 million hours of PC uptime (yes.. many computers, 24/7, several years), and in all that time i've seen *two* fire incidents. both with a faulty sata cable.. in fact both with the SAME BATCH of faulty sata cable.. so in a sense it could be seen as one incident... caused by a supplier cheaping out too hard on the plastics in their cable.

moral of the story? dont use cheap freaking adapter cables.

actually.. no, i've had a third incident.. my home server caught fire once, because it was a 10 year old motherboard where every capacitor was bulging, and i decided to run *that* 24/7 at 100% load. but that's sort of like saying "i broke my arm when seeing if falling of a roof hurts"

I personally tend to take certain precautions, like with any electric equipment left unattended.

Use separate low current fuse in outlet it is connected to, make sure nothing easily flammable (paper, cloth) left close to it, use full metal case for stuff that runs overnight etc.

Someone might call it stupid, but IMO totally worth tiny bit of trouble. House fires are no fun and they happen when people get careless with stuff.

That said i never had an incident at home when something really caught fire. Burned components - sure, but shorted/burned capacitor or melted connector is one thing, actual fire is another one.

The only incident with, let's say "open fire" I've seen was ibm storvize v7000 extension PSU blowing up when I was working on some cable management in a rack near those with storage system. Made loud "bang", the fan immediately spun up to max RPM and whole bunch of magic smoke with capacitor innards and fire came out. Startled me "a bit" and for few seconds i was standing there and thinking "So what do I do now? Try to pull half-burning PSU? Or just cut the power to whole rack, which will obviously be bad?". Thankfully the thing detected "PSU fault" and turned it off (or some protection was triggered in PSU itself and then "PSU fault" happened - i do not know)... the smell was there for few weeks though... but again - no actual fire in the end, just a "jumpscare"...

I never run any of my devices overnight, and even then, if I want to download a game on my laptop, I ask my dad to help queue it up while I'm sleeping so it's ready the next day.

I don't see my dad downloading stuff and leaving his PC on the entire night, so I don't know what'll happen, but just take precautions and make sure that nothing can unexpectedly blow up.

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

I have a phenom system that ran for 12 years almost on continuously, never caught fire. used the same shitty 650w antec PSU for most of the time it was alive. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6