Lord Szechenyi

SNES VS MD/Genesis  

21 members have voted

1. 1. (question above)

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    • Sega Genesis/Megadrive
    • I like both equally
    • i'm too young for this

(Note: please don't fight, both are great consoles, i just want opinions from people)

So as we know, the peak of console wars was the 16 bit era, and you had to choose a side, Sega or Nintendo.

Which would YOU side with?

For me, it's a bit hard, but i think i'd choose SNES because it aged just a bit better than the Genesis.

But very simply put, i think the Genesis is more an Arcade console, which represents everything before the early 90s, whereas the SNES has more game with longer playtime, defining what was to come later.

Also i just love A link to the past and super metroid < 3

SNES controller has more buttons, so it's better!

/s

I think both consoles are great, it's just the great games on the SNES are better than what you find on Genesis.

Personally I like the sound signature of the SNES games better. The Genesis sounds are still great, but the harsh thumping sounds just don't do it for me most the time.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Where's "I was too poor for any of those" answer?

Tank on a Dendy clone was the luxyury...

I edit my posts more often than not

Just now, minibois said:

I think both consoles are great, it's just the great games on the SNES are better than what you find on Genesis.

Don't be too much of an instigator

Personally I like the sound signature of the SNES games better. The Genesis sounds are still great, but the harsh thumping sounds just don't do it for me most the time.

The thing is, the genesis only had ONE sample channel, (the rest is FM).

However, it also really depends on the composer, for me the Genesis is much more unique in sound to the SNES, because a lot of snes soundtracks could really be identical to .mods

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Where's "I was too poor for any of those" answer?

You're telling me none of the people you knew had any of these?

or just played them in a store?

or something similar idk

3 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

You're telling me none of the people you knew had any of these?

or just played them in a store?

or something similar idk

Mortal Kombat on Sega Megadrive does bring back memories... of paying, for playing 10 minutes at a time.

So I guess Sega, for being only variant.

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Mortal Kombat on Sega Megadrive does bring back memories... of paying for playing 10 minutes at a time.

So I guess Sega, for being only variant.

what about nowadays? you can get emulators you know

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Don't be too much of an instigator

???

Only people looking to argue/flamewar would think me stating my preference is an instigation.

If your topic is "SNES vs. Genesis", I will state my preference reasoning. If you don't agree with that, that's fine; it's my vs. your opinion after all.

So to double down, there are great games on both consoles. It's just if I made a top 10 of both individual consoles and then would compare those two lists, the top 10 on the SNES is stronger then the top 10 on the Genesis side.

That is my opinion, which anyone is free to disagree with.

*of course I haven't played all games on both consoles

3 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

However, it also really depends on the composer, for me the Genesis is much more unique in sound to the SNES, because a lot of snes soundtracks could really be identical to .mods

I was mostly comparing the actual implementation of the music.

For example, in the doom soundtrack you hear a lot of the "low sound" in the first song played, which I find less enjoyable to listen to.

That doesn't take away that the Genesis has some games with amazing soundtracks.

If I can include the Sega CD attachment too, Sonic CD holds one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

what about nowadays? you can get emulators you know

Not so nostalgic, I would maybe even prefer Tank to Mortal Kombat now..

Tank was one of the best games on Dendy clone.

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Not so nostalgic, I would maybe even prefer Tank to Mortal Kombat now..

Tank was one of the best games on Dendy clone.

And? doesn't have to be nostalgic you know

11 minutes ago, minibois said:

I was mostly comparing the actual implementation of the music.

For example, in the doom soundtrack you hear a lot of the "low sound" in the first song played, which I find less enjoyable to listen to.

That doesn't take away that the Genesis has some games with amazing soundtracks.

If I can include the Sega CD attachment too, Sonic CD holds one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

yeah sorry about "instigator" after looking at the definition that's not the word i wasnted to use.

Doom doesn't count because that's the 32x, and the 32x is a piece of shit 😄

Sonic CD US or JAP?

16 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

yeah sorry about "instigator" after looking at the definition that's not the word i wasnted to use.

Not sure what word you wanted to use to call me by, but I think it's still weird to - basically - tell me to calm down on voicing my opinion on a thread where you're asking for opinions.

But maybe I'm just seeing your actions in a weird way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doom doesn't count because that's the 32x, and the 32x is a piece of shit 😄

It was just the easiest example to show the sort of sounds I am talking about.

Sonic CD US or JAP?

JAP. Always JAP.

Or PAL version for me really 😛

"Stardust Speedway Bad Future" JP/PAL is - in my opinion mind you - so much better than the US version. But again, as opinions go; everyone is free to disagree with that idea.

34 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Sonic CD US or JAP?

24 minutes ago, minibois said:

JAP. Always JAP.

JAP sountrack for the win. The US soundtrack just feels out of place...

As far as the question in this post, I'm more of a Genesis fan. I love arcade-style games, so it's obvious that the Genesis would be better for my tastes compared to the SNES. I've also never been a huge fan of Nintendo or their games just because of how closed off they are. If I want to play a SNES game legally in 2021, my only option is to own the original hardware or drop $300 on a switch and play a select portion of the library on that. SEGA makes their Genesis games much more accessible on whatever platform you may own (source: I own the entire genesis classics library on Steam, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection on the Xbox 360, and Sonic Mega Collection plus on the PS2).

But my preference on the two really comes down to the games they have and how accessible they are. I've never owned or played any of the games on the original console, as much as I'd love to, so I can't have an opinion on the console itself.

Oh, and also I love the general stylistic choices SEGA made with their music and sound effects in Genesis games.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

As far as the question in this post, I'm more of a Genesis fan. I love arcade-style games, so it's obvious that the Genesis would be better for my tastes compared to the SNES. I've also never been a huge fan of Nintendo or their games just because of how closed off they are. If I want to play a SNES game legally in 2021, my only option is to own the original hardware or drop $300 on a switch and play a select portion of the library on that. SEGA makes their Genesis games much more accessible on whatever platform you may own (source: I own the entire genesis classics library on Steam, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection on the Xbox 360, and Sonic Mega Collection plus on the PS2).

But my preference on the two really comes down to the games they have and how accessible they are. I've never owned or played any of the games on the original console, as much as I'd love to, so I can't have an opinion on the console itself.

Oh, and also I love the general stylistic choices SEGA made with their music and sound effects in Genesis games.

Ok so just so you know, the emulator itself is 100% legal, so you can get snes9x anytime.

What's not AS legal are the roms, but if you find cheap snes cartridges then you can download any from the internet cause you own the original 🙂

22 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Ok so just so you know, the emulator itself is 100% legal, so you can get snes9x anytime.

What's not AS legal are the roms, but if you find cheap snes cartridges then you can download any from the internet cause you own the original 🙂

Yeah, I'm totally aware of that option. I just wish nintendo would put in the small effort to officially port at least some of their older games to PC. At this point, anyone interested in playing NES/SNES games has either played on the original hardware, played it through switch online, or just straight up pirated it in an emulator (if they didn't buy a cartridge to feel better about it). They don't have anything to lose from porting those older games to PC. It makes them more money, and allows more people to enjoy their games.

You could argue that they want the exclusivity to give people incentive to buy their hardware, but noone is actually paying $300 for a switch just to play SNES games. It's just an added perk of getting the console, but not a deciding factor for pretty much anyone.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

20 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Yeah, I'm totally aware of that option. I just wish nintendo would put in the small effort to officially port at least some of their older games to PC. At this point, anyone interested in playing NES/SNES games has either played on the original hardware, played it through switch online, or just straight up pirated it in an emulator (if they didn't buy a cartridge to feel better about it). They don't have anything to lose from porting those older games to PC. It makes them more money, and allows more people to enjoy their games.

You could argue that they want the exclusivity to give people incentive to buy their hardware, but noone is actually paying $300 for a switch just to play SNES games. It's just an added perk of getting the console, but not a deciding factor for pretty much anyone.

Honestly, just pirate them, it's not THAT big of a deal.

Lots of snes games are now abandonware anyway

I love both of them but I have to give an edge to the SNES for all the great RPG on the system. Stuff like Crono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV and VI, Super Mario RPG, Shadowrun, Earthbound. Then some kind of out there games like Actraiser and Uniracers. My favorite racing game ever made in F-Zero. Plus classics like Super Mario World and Zelda A Link to the Past. Don't get me wrong, Genesis was loaded with amazing games like Sonic 1 & 2, Golden Axe, Shinobi 3, Mickey Mouse and the Castle of Illusion, Donald Duck Quackshot, Gunstar Heroes, Earthworm Jim (way better on Genesis than SNES), etc.

On 3/5/2021 at 9:50 AM, WaggishOhio383 said:

SNES Classic is pretty nice and run about $120 on the used market. Even if you don't want to hack it the included games are pretty great, between Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Castlevania, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, and Street Fighter II Turbo (best console fighting game ever made IMO). It does have the crap version of Ghouls and Ghosts though, Genesis version is far superior. Controllers feel just like the real thing and the emulation is excellent, only good emulation I have ever found for Super Mario World. Every other SNES emulator I have ever tried has too much lag to pull off the quick jumps you need to enjoyably play Super Mario World. Even the official version of the game on the New 3DS XL Virtual Console wasn't as good compared to how well it runs on SNES Classic.

My first game I ever played was Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on the Genesis. Played a lot of Sonic with Mom.  Also played a fair bit of Mortal Kombat. 

Tes, my parents let me play what was essentially the poster child of violent games at 3-4 years old. 😝

Sonic Spinball was quite difficult, though I somehow got to the third level at age 4. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I had when I was a kid, and still have, a SNES, so obviously I'm team SNES.

The SNES indisputably has the best controller. The D-pad, the shoulder buttons instead of the 6 all together, and the 6 button Megadrive/Genesis pad wasn't even available at launch.  

as a Mario Fan, SNES definetely wins. Genesis was good, but i always loved mario

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

On 3/8/2021 at 10:34 PM, Monkey Dust said:

I had when I was a kid, and still have, a SNES, so obviously I'm team SNES.

The SNES indisputably has the best controller. The D-pad, the shoulder buttons instead of the 6 all together, and the 6 button Megadrive/Genesis pad wasn't even available at launch.  

for 2d games yes.

because i can't imagine myself playing a 3d game without a joystick/mouse