Microsoft’s Power Automate Desktop is now free

WkdPaul

Summary

Microsoft announced that it is making Power Automate Desktop, its enterprise-level tool for creating automated desktop-centric workflows, available to all Windows 10 users for free. 

Quotes

Power Automate Desktop is what Microsoft calls its “attended Robotic Process Automation” solution, but you can think of it as a macro recorder on steroids. It comes with 370 prebuilt actions that help you build flows across different applications, but its real power is in letting you build your own scripts to automate repetitive and time-consuming tasks.

Power Automate Desktop originally launched last September. It’s based on Microsoft’s acquisition of Softomotive in early 2020, but Microsoft has since extended Softomotive’s technology and integrated it deeper into its own stack.

[...] it’ll become part of Microsoft’s Insider Builds for Windows 10 and then eventually become a built-in part of Windows 10, all the way down to the standard Windows Home version.

My thoughts

That could be useful for some users stuck doing repetitive tasks, I'm probably going to have a look at it now that it's free and see what it's all about and if it can be useful for me, and if I find any utility to it, I might look at what uses it can have at work.

Sources

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/02/microsofts-power-automate-desktop-is-now-free-for-all-windows-10-users

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/desktop/

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Played around with it a bit.

I see that it has a "desktop recording" feature as well, so you don't have to use the left side menu to pick and choose what you want to automate, you can just "do it" to make it learn what to do that way.

But it's not perfect, it doesn't seems to work all the time and it cannot pick up anything if it's not on the Host system.

Tried to make it do something simple from Host to interacting with a software inside a VM and it failed. It couldn't recognize anything. That was unfortunate, but expected.

It did work to make a very simple and rudimentary auto clicker, though.

For now, I don't have any use for it, but I might keep playing around with it. Will see if it's possible to automate things like checking stock prices just for the fun of it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Convenient, but it's going to take forever for me to understand how to use.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Hmm I'll to give it a go once I have some free time since it sounds like it could be very useful. Is it similar to Auto Hotkey at all?

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Is that like macOS's Automator? Rad. I've been wishing for a software like this since at least 2007. 

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

7 hours ago, n0stalghia said:

Is that like macOS's Automator? Rad. I've been wishing for a software like this since at least 2007. 

Now they just need something like preview

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I am curious, anyone here use it or something similar regularly?

Do you have any examples on what you use it for?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

I am curious, anyone here use it or something similar regularly?

Do you have any examples on what you use it for?

I might set it up to convert video files. Right now I do it in plain old Python, maybe this offers some easier tools to do it. 

I definitely see a use case for batch-renaming files, provided it accepts regex patterns as input (right now I'm using Python to do it as well)

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

We actually use this at work for some sharepoint, teams, and SCSM integrations. Interesting to see it become free!

Looking forward to digging into it!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!