What would help me loose weight faster? Running OR Homeworkout using Apple Watch to do HITT or whatever?

WolfLoverPro

Honestly I know nothing about fitness and what’s better and stuff 

would running or doing them home exercises be better? Specifically just looking to loose weight tbh 

I have Apple Watch with the fitness+ that has all these hitt or homeworkouts 

Whatever you enjoy doing more, but it would be good to do a mixture of different exercises if only just to prevent you from getting bored of doing the same thing.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Honestly, I always recommend a mix.  Running is great (I've worked myself from not running at all two and a half years ago to prepping for my third half-marathon in April and hopefully my first full marathon sooner rather than later) but mixing in recumbent biking and bodyweight work (since I'm still holding off on returning to the gym) helps break monotony and spreads out the work.  I was able to drop about 80-85 lbs within about 12-18 months and now it's about working on building up the muscle and toning things evenly.

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

59 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

would running or doing them home exercises be better?

Find an aerobic exercise you enjoy and indulge in it regularly for the rest of your life.

Nothing wrong with including a little anaerobic exercise too.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Running objectively, but do something you can keep up for a long period of time (i.e. 3-5 days per week, rest days other days).

If you purely want to lose weight, simply cutting your calories will do the job. You can expect about 1lbs of lost fat per week just doing that. Keep in mind that losing weight and working out, don't go together. It's one or the other. You can workout and burn that fat over a loooong period of time all while building muscles (with a proper protein rich diet), but you cannot lose that fat and expect to gain any muscles in the short term without a proper diet either (sounds similar, but they aren't).

Here's the only "fat loss" article that matter on the internet, which will explain to you all that you should do.

There's no "right or wrong" with dieting, you don't need to cut back on frozen pizza, you don't need to cut all fat and carbs (should probably cut back a bit on sugar and drinks that are not Water, though)...

It's all about regulating your portions properly and not exceeding your calories for the day. Cutting down to 1225~1500 Cal per day is relatively easy to do. First few days will be hard, and it often means no snacking.

Alternatively, you can just get started on replacing your lunch or dinner (not both), with a high protein meal replacement shake/bar or something (protein to prevent muscle loss, too little protein and it's not just fat that you will lose).

This will lower your caloric intake to about 200~250kcal for that meal, giving you a good 1000kcal remaining for the next big meal where you could literally eat an entire thin crust frozen pizza and still lose weight in the end (don't do this... it's just an example...).

Replacing ALL your meals with shakes will work and you WILL shed the pounds FAST... But it's a sad life. My mom lived it for a few months before her cancer got the best of her since she couldn't eat hard food anymore (liquid diet only), at 6 meal replacement shakes per day(210Cal each), she went from 160 to 110 in less than 6 months. Granted, the cancer probably contributed a lot to that. Really should've taken more.. but she wasn't able to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

@WolfLoverProYou don't lose weight by exercising. You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you take in. If you have been at the same weight for, say, 3 months (+- 4lbs maximum in the last 3 months) then adding in exercising of, say, walking 2.5 miles a day, would get you losing 1 pound every 2 weeks. That assumes you also eat the exact same stuff in the exact same amounts that you do now.

How many calories you need depends on your sex (not your gender, your sex. Sex is genetic. Gender is social / physical with surgery.), age, and height. The amount you exercise in a day also factors in (if you work construction, at an amazon warehouse, or some other 'always on the go' job, then you'd check a box for 'high activity level / exercise daily' on the various online calculators; but if you go on a 1 mile walk once a day, you'd check 'sedetary' or *maybe* 'light exercise, 1-2x a week', even though you walk 1 mile daily).

You can either use an online calculator, or websites like myfitnesspal or loseit. After that, there are only a few rules (assuming you're a 5'6-ish male around 25):

1. Do not eat less than 1000 calories in a day. Technically i mean gross calories here (so, if you eat 1200, then exercise 300, you'd be at 900 net calories. This is technically ok, but not a good idea. One day, or even one week, of < 1000 cals/day won't hurt you. One month if it every day probably will.)

2. Do not eat less than 35g of fat in a day. You'll start getting headaches/migraines and not understand why. Trust me...avoid this! Get AT LEAST 35g of fat every day! If you're 6 foot+, make that more like 45g. 60g/day is a much safer target to aim for though.

3. Do not eat less than 80g of protein per day. (Long term, 2-3 days in a row of < 80g) You'll feel like shit, have no energy, and be sore if you do try to exercise. If you want to try keto, go for it. Meats tend to be packed with a lot of the vitamins and minerals you need anyway. If you eat a Rotisserie chicken over 2-4 days, you'll easily hit

4. ALWAYS stay at or under that calorie budget. There's a huge psychological value in having a streak going and not wanting to break it. If that means you go on a 1 or 2 mile run at 11pm because you're about to end a day over calories, then you get those feet moving!

If you aren't sure how many calories your exercising burned off, just assume 0. "But...why exercise then!?" Because you enjoy it. I ride my bike because I love riding my bike, not so I can stuff another cookie into my mouth. Adopting this mentality will help you form healthy habits with exercise and eating, rather than a self-abusive loop where you shame yourself into working out / not eating. It's cliche, but a healthy mind really is a healthy body.

Some easy exercise metrics that are 'close enough' though:

- Walking: 100 calories per mile.

- Biking: Somewhere between 35 and 50 calories per mile, depending on how much time you spend coasting and how hard you work to move (riding in a low gear at 2mph burns a LOT less energy than pushing wind resistance at 10mph)

I go on diets every 1-3 years and lose about 15 kilos in 3 months or so. I do it through a combination of diet and exercising. I only feel hunger during the first week or so, depending on how excessively I ate and drank before I started the diet. I'm currently 195cm tall and I weight 105kilos (I was 118kg when I started my last diet). 

I exercise every other day and I usually do high intensity cardio home trainings for 30-45 minutes. These can be intense shadowboxing exercises, complete workouts like what you'd find on the Popsugar Fitness youtube channel, or just hard 45 minute sessions on the exercise bike. Usually I'm covered in sweat by the time I'm done. I'd like to exercise more often, but if I do I inevitably get sick after awhile and have to refrain from training and take antibiotics, which screws up my diet. 

During the diet, I eat two meals a day, with each meal being about 200-250 grams in total. Most of these meals are entirely comprised of meat (usually poultry, pork, or fish), rice, potato, eggs, and cheese. I occasionally eat 200grams of homemade popcorn instead of a meal, as I love popcorn and it doesn't interfere with my diet. If I really crave sugar, I eat a couple coffee spoons of homemade honey. I also drink about 6 mugs of milk per day, 3 cups of black coffee, and two lemonades. I also eat one bowl of soup a day as well, but I prepare my soups without noodles in them, only veggies. In social situations, I drink tea or diet coke. All of this food is highly energizing, so I never feel hungry or out of energy despite the seemingly small meals. 

During the diet, I do not:

Eat any junk food

Eat any bread or bread-like products

Drink alcohol

I'm allowed one cheat meal every 2 weeks, and I usually prepare this cheat meal myself because that makes it feel more significant, more like a milestone. 😄

Hope this helps!

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

In a nutshell the most intense diet I have ever done was the 75 hard challenge.  I tried doing it a second time and didnt finish.  What I learned however - and I had heard it before but hadnt "lived" it is that your body is 70% made in the kitchen (food) 30% in the gym (exercise).  I was in the best shape of my life - but I had worked out like that for many years and never once was as cut as I was until I ate true paleo for 75 days.  When I finished 75 hard I stopped exercising for a month to get my body some rest and relax - maintained the diet and I continued to get more and more lean.

Get that diet right, and exercise however you find that is fun - the weight will come off.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

What would help me loose weight faster?

Working out is fine and dandy,but eating right is important too.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 3/2/2021 at 7:31 PM, WolfLoverPro said:

would running or doing them home exercises be better? Specifically just looking to loose weight tbh 

How heavy? Makes a difference. Running can be bad on your knees, but doing workouts wrong can do damage too, depending on the weight amount.

If you don't have weights, then do both. Do push ups, crunches, supermans, squats, basic home muscle building. I'm assuming you don't have weights right now because the worlds supply of heavy objects has ended.

But everyone else is right, dieting is the bigger part.

16 hours ago, Benji said:

Exercise itself is useless to lose weight when your diet is still inappropriate for what you want to achieve.

My personal diet is eat half a homemade cheesecake and sit on my ass. To this day I'm still underweight.

#Muricaparrotgang

To repeat what has been said by others:

It’s basically impossible to exercise away weight.

If weight loss is the goal you need to keep your calorie intake under checks. And don’t do crash diets, this will only lead to yo-yo weight. It takes time, just do a small reduction in calorie intake.

Slightly reduce portion sizes and be prepared to be on a multi year journey.
For most people one of the biggest culprit is snacking so stop snacking (and if you are thirsty you quench the thirst with water).

Unlike popular belief, what you eat isn’t as important as to how much you eat. You can have the healthiest choice in food and still gain weight because you over eat.

Also allow yourself to be hungry in between meals, it is not dangeroua and won’t kill you.

With that said keep excersizing, you might not lose that much weight but it is good for your general health. A tricky thing with exercise is that the body is damn good at making you hungrier if you start a hard exercise regime, thus it is pretty normal that you actually cover the entire calorie deficit caused by exercise by just eating a bit more (without really noticing it).

I lost 7 stone a couple of years ago and by far the one thing that helped the most was reading the labels on food, and trying to make a better choice. I was surprised to fine what has a lot of calories and what doesn't. I'm also a big fan of apple cider vinegar with mother, I drink it inb the morning not because it's some miracle cure but more  more as a switch to put your brain in the right gear.

Pete

18 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Running can be bad on your knees

I always love when I see people say this.

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

19 minutes ago, CrowTheRobot said:

I read/heard this as well. But I do wondering how Native Hunter Gathers in Africa deal with this?

41 minutes ago, CrowTheRobot said:

It's true. Walking is way lower shock. Especially if you're larger, like 350 lbs. I have shit joints, running makes them hurt. I can walk or bike significantly farther, and I'm rail thin.

16 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I read/heard this as well. But I do wondering how Native Hunter Gathers in Africa deal with this?

They don't run marathons. They walk a lot. Do you assume they all just do 15 mile sprints every day?

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

It's true. Walking is way lower shock. Especially if you're larger, like 350 lbs. I have shit joints, running makes them hurt. I can walk or bike significantly farther, and I'm rail thin.

They don't run marathons. They walk a lot. Do you assume they all just do 15 mile sprints every day?

Hello No!!! I avoid making an Ass Out of You and Me...

On 3/2/2021 at 9:31 PM, WolfLoverPro said:

Neither by themselves. 

If you want to lose weight, you need to eat less than you were eating before (less calories, specifically). 

You should exercise for your long term health, *NOT* as a way to lose weight. 

Further to that, you need a well rounded exercise routine that covers all aspects (upper body, legs, core strength, cardio, etc). Just running will only get you lots of cardio. 

If you’re serious about starting to get fit, using an App system like with the Apple Watch and fitness+ home workouts is a great place to start. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

18 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

If you are out of alignment, you will hurt. Been there, done that..

I weigh 217 lbs, and I should weigh in at 320 lbs

I'm 6ft 7inches tall, and my calorie intake is supposed to be 3800-4200/day

BMI does not apply to me because of my muscle mass (outside the index)

What do you mean you should weigh 320? I'm 6'6" and supposed to be around 180. If it's muscle then that figure only applies to bodybuilders.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

I'm not a body builder.

I have always kept my weight to around 292-296lbs, but right now I'm around 217, and I'm very skinny.

The BMI cannot see anything, it depends on user input.

320 at 6'7" is not skinny. Muscle or otherwise. Me at 180 I would be very toned or slightly pudgy.

#Muricaparrotgang

4 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

BMI (body mass index), which is based on the height and weight of a person, is an inaccurate measure of body fat content and does not take into account muscle mass, bone density, overall body composition, and racial and sex differences, say researchers from the Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215

But that doesn't change the fact that 320 isn't skinny, unless you're actually wolverine and your bones are coated in adamantium.

#Muricaparrotgang

6 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Mostly correct, those "products" at the end are actually bs.

Not specifically talking about the fitness tracker or smartwatch per se, but rather the structured, guided workouts. Most people don't know what the hell they are doing - particularly noobs who are just starting. Having a workout guide to follow (telling you what workouts, how many sets and reps, what days of the week, etc) can be incredibly useful.

Having a device that helps you keep track? Sure maybe useful to some, and not useful to others.

2 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

I'm currently at 217lbs, so that makes me over 100 lbs underweight.

I highly highly doubt you're over 100 pounds underweight at 217 pounds. You're 6'7, right? According to my searches, the healthy range for that is roughly 200 to 240 pounds.

Why do you think you should be weighing 320 pounds? Can you elaborate on how you "got" to that number?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Look into biking as a hobby, and a form or transport. I honestly wouldn't exercise if it weren't for bikes.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I highly highly doubt you're over 100 pounds underweight at 217 pounds. You're 6'7, right? According to my searches, the healthy range for that is roughly 200 to 240 pounds.

Why do you think you should be weighing 320 pounds? Can you elaborate on how you "got" to that number?

Considering my 2 brothers are about my height, about his height, but much heavier, 320 is body builder or metal infused bones. Unless he's aiming to be fat. I have no idea what metric he's going by. My fat brother is fat and I'm pretty sure he's not 320. My really fat brother would be "slimmed down" at 320.

#Muricaparrotgang

12 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

I'm currently at 217lbs, so that makes me over 100 lbs underweight.

... this is so f****ing american lol.

At 6 foot 7 and 216lbs you are toeing the line of healthy and overweight.

Underweight for your class starts at 171. To be 100lbs underweight you would be dead.

Does America use some overweight weighted scales or something?