do you need ethernet for wifi? or can you use an wifi usb stick ??? help pls

watacukrowa

im just confused cause i just built my new pc and it wont let me connect to wifi without ethernet ???? and i cant do that cause my mom needs it for her work!

1 minute ago, Bartandroid123 said:

not all motherboards have onboard wifi. You might need a pcie or usb add on card.

okay thanks

Just now, Benji said:

No, WiFi does not require Ethernet being present. Pretty much all thin-and-light laptops nowadays have no Ethernet adapter yet still perfectly working WiFi. My laptop's WiFi works perfectly fine without even having an Ethernet port (although it apparently does have a controller for it, lol). The motherboard you bought most likely just has no integrated WiFi, or the integrated WiFi card is an Intel AX200 for example for which Windows doesn't have integrated drivers. What motherboard did you install?

b450m plus micro atx 

1 minute ago, Benji said:

And there you go, that board has no integrated wireless adapter.

sooooo.... mind telling me what i have to do to get wifi ?

Buying a wireless adapter, which has previously been mentioned. WiFi is not just thin air that every device supports. I would suggest an integrated one that plugs into the PCIe x1 slot on the motherboard, like the Gigabyte GC-WBAX200.

okay thanks

in theory : modem > USB wifi stick > mobile data > "network cable" > PC

That way you don't need wifi in ur PC but still use a wifi connection, but I'm honestly not sure what you're even asking. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, watacukrowa said:

okay thanks

Cheap and easy way to go...

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Mini-Wireless-Supports-10-9-10-14/dp/B07PB1X4CN/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=usb+wifi&qid=1614365223&sr=8-4

There are more expensive ways to go, as linked in previous posts.  All depends what you want to pay and how far the router is.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

5 minutes ago, watacukrowa said:

sooooo.... mind telling me what i have to do to get wifi ?

Pretty much any USB wifi adapter will do the job. Just pick one.

You'll probably want AC600~AC1300 or higher.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

And before that question arises: The x1 slot should be overlapped by the GPU and thus unavailable, but x1, x4 and x8 devices can still be installed in PCIe x16 slot, and your board has an additional one of those available.

That has literally nothing to do with the topic. He just assumed that every device supports WiFi which this board by default doesn't.

*Cheap and easy with usually terrible reception, but in practice it should still work, even though it is less than optimal.

pls im so confused just please put links on what i need to buy for wifi because my english is really bad im confused

3 minutes ago, watacukrowa said:

so if i understand what you  mean if i plug something like this in my pc, it would work or do i still need pcie https://www.google.com/url?

4476597.webp 16.21 kB · 0 downloads

Get a USB one, like in the image you sent. If you dont understand that not every device comes with wifi, installing a PCIe card might be difficult for you. You dont need a pcie one, USB will work just fine.

This is a good option, just plug it into the back of your computer and you should be fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-desktop-10-9-10-14-Archer-T2U/dp/B07P5PRK7J

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

And before that question arises: The x1 slot should be overlapped by the GPU and thus unavailable, but x1, x4 and x8 devices can still be installed in PCIe x16 slot, and your board has an additional one of those available.

That has literally nothing to do with the topic. He just assumed that every device supports WiFi which this board by default doesn't.

*Cheap and easy with usually terrible reception, but in practice it should still work, even though it is less than optimal.

the router is literally like 20 feet away 

That has literally nothing to do with the topic.

Thats literally how I got wifi on my pc that didn't have wifi chip tho... 

2 minutes ago, watacukrowa said:

pls im so confused just please put links on what i need to buy for wifi because my english is really bad im confused

what router do you have? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Thats literally how I got wifi on my pc that didn't have wifi chip tho... 

what router do you have? 

wasjhdfkjlsd i dont know 

2 minutes ago, starry said:

Get a USB one, like in the image you sent. If you dont understand that not every device comes with wifi, installing a PCIe card might be difficult for you. You dont need a pcie one, USB will work just fine.

This is a good option, just plug it into the back of your computer and you should be fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-desktop-10-9-10-14-Archer-T2U/dp/B07P5PRK7J

thank u so much these people are confusing me

1 minute ago, watacukrowa said:

thank u so much these people are confusing me

There's nothing confusing here, everyone told you to get a USB wifi adapter, or a PCIE wifi adapter because your motherboard doesn't have wifi ... 

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, Hakemon said:

Now the question, do you know the network name and password?  Honest question since you were confused about this, I want to ensure you at least have those details.

my wifi password ? i have frontier/verizon or whatever u call it

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

There's nothing confusing here, everyone told you to get a USB wifi adapter, or a PCIE wifi adapter because your motherboard doesn't have wifi ... 

yes but i dont speak lots of english so thats why i am confused

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

I'm sorry to call you out on it, but that has literally nothing to do with "not speaking English" because none of these technical terms are actually being translated. Even in Mandarin Chinese they'll still say PCIe or USB. We say "Get this and that, these parts have certain advantages/disadvantages" and all of a sudden you're "confused" because you "don't speak english very well". I am starting to wonder why you decided to build a PC for somebody, given the fact that you seem to not have that much experience. Getting a pre-built computer or even a laptop probably would've been a way better option in your case because you'd at least have a customer support and warranty.

the computer is for me and its a lot fucking different in polish 

4 hours ago, Benji said:

I'm sorry to call you out on it, but that has literally nothing to do with "not speaking English" because none of these technical terms are actually being translated. Even in Mandarin Chinese they'll still say PCIe or USB. We say "Get this and that, these parts have certain advantages/disadvantages" and all of a sudden you're "confused" because you "don't speak english very well". I am starting to wonder why you decided to build a PC for somebody, given the fact that you seem to not have that much experience. Getting a pre-built computer or even a laptop probably would've been a way better option in your case because you'd at least have a customer support and warranty.

Wow, thats a real dick response. Way to be condescending.

On 2/26/2021 at 8:09 PM, watacukrowa said:

the computer is for me and its a lot fucking different in polish 

Ok chcesz po polsku to masz. Musisz kupić albo adapter do usb albo to pcie. 

np. taki: https://allegro.pl/oferta/adapter-wlan-usb-tp-link-archer-t3u-ac1300-8728596765

Mam nadzieje że pomogłem/Hope it helps!

On 2/26/2021 at 6:38 PM, Blue4130 said:

Wow, thats a real dick response. Way to be condescending.

He has a point tho, condescending or not.  People linked wifi adapters and explained what he needs.

The links we sent can be translated in the browser easily.  Also, it's true about terms like PCIe or USB.  

His beginning posts are very clearly written in English, even if they're translated from Polish... he knows how to do that.

I even sent him a cheap and easy USB wifi button.  Plug it in, and go.  What about that is confusing?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi