Apple ARM is superior?

Hawkeye27

then I will always use desktops mainly and maybe laptops also but just for portability. I feel like apples cores are like a train that can handle instructions that are less Radom and coded directly for the cores better. sure its "faster" but its limited and needs to be coded for the cores. desktop cpus are like a car, they can go anywhere and do anything unlike a train that only stops at certain places and can only handle certain instructions that are made for it. so deskop cpus are "slower" in that regard. like the bullet train in japan is fast as hell, but you can only get off at certain stops and go certain places, a car can go anywhere and is more free and more things are accessible with a car. 

23 hours ago, emosun said:

aren't much faster in similar tasks i wouldn't consider them that far ahead.

They absolutely destroy anything else in h.265 4:2:2 video editing. even threadripper builds or the maxed out mac pro can't play it back smoothly. the macbook air can (but obv not the eor r5 or sony a1 8k footage, that can be handled by the macbook pro)

that's cause any other GPUs and CPUs out there only have h.265 4:2:0 encode and decode ad lack 4:2:2

or at least as of two months ago

But, not everyone video edits and very few of those people have sony a7siii/a1 or canon eos r5 footage so it's a pretty niche problem

Edited by ryan_lennoxbradley
A correction

I see a lot of people put their computer here

Mine is an m1 macbook air xD

base model

planning to get an m1x mac mini when it exists for heavier video editing

Switched to mac from windows cause most of what I do is either internet browsing, photo editing or video editing and wanted Final Cut cause that magnetic timeline is NOT the same as ripple editing in resolve/premiere/vegas pro (a sad excuse of a NLE btw) and is much faster for MY workflow

MacMini M1: the ultimate SFF pc

also drawing at max less than the custom PC at idle 

also it’ll be interesting to see the next 2-3 years of pandemic prices for PC parts make Macs a more and more interesting value proposition (assuming Apple + TSMC have their supply chain act together better than the rest of the industry)

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

MacMini M1: the ultimate SFF pc

also drawing at max less than the custom PC at idle 

also it’ll be interesting to see the next 2-3 years of pandemic prices for PC parts make Macs a more and more interesting value proposition (assuming Apple + TSMC have their supply chain act together better than the rest of the industry)

Watch the video again lol the mac mini got shredded

30 minutes ago, papajo said:

Wow, a system that costs over 2x as much and is like 10x larger totally shreds it. Um, okay... That's like arguing Volvo A45G totally shreds Ford F150 at carrying capacity. No shit Sherlock.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Wow, a system that costs over 2x as much and is like 10x larger totally shreds it. Um, okay... That's like arguing Volvo A45G totally shreds Ford F150 at carrying capacity. No shit Sherlock.

Its cheaper but yea it is larger but still slick last but not least apple people are the ones trying to get into our faces that we live in the stone age..  taste some stone 😛

45 minutes ago, papajo said:

There’s a part where he says that’s the best machine in that compact form factor.

There’s no denying that in terms of

- performance per liter of volume

- performance per watt

- performance per dollar

it’s on another level and it’s a really-small-form-factor-PC lovers’ dream

Now, if the GPU in the coming years will get the kind of yearly improvement we see on iPhones and iPads...it could become something... (of course you still wouldn’t be able to swap it out like on a custom PC)

17 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

There’s a part where he says that’s the best machine in that compact form factor.

There’s no denying that in terms of

- performance per liter of volume

- performance per watt

- performance per dollar

it’s on another level and it’s a really-small-form-factor-PC lovers’ dream

Now, if the GPU in the coming years will get the kind of yearly improvement we see on iPhones and iPads...it could become something... (of course you still wouldn’t be able to swap it out like on a custom PC)

ok I guess blind people can not see...

It is slower in everything not just in the Graphics department. 

and you can make a very small factor zen 3 

as for the price it may hold true only including the recent events that skyrocketed prices with older prices or MSRP in mind thats not true at all

1 hour ago, papajo said:

Its cheaper but yea it is larger but still slick last but not least apple people are the ones trying to get into our faces that we live in the stone age..  taste some stone 😛

I'm using 5800X and I still acknowledge how impressive M1 is...

On 2/15/2021 at 2:04 AM, Hawkeye27 said:

ARM, when Apple first decided to start using it, had really crappy memory bandwidth, and no ability to engage in out of order execution of instructions, and a very bad GPU.

"ARM" is not an SoC or a silicon manufacturer so this statement doesn't mean anything. There are a huge variety of ARM implementations and while Apple was the first to release a product with some features like the 64-bit extensions they were only first by a matter of weeks, with the standard having been defined by ARM and therefore being available to everyone else at roughly the same time.

The part about the GPU definitely doesn't make any sense since other manufacturers (namely, uh, nvidia) have produced plenty ARM SoCs with high performance GPUs throughout the years, often outperforming Apple, and the GPU itself isn't really tied to ARM.

18 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

And it’s gonna be glorious if we extrapolate current performance-per-watt to a desktop thermal envelope. 

Yeah but you can't do that. A lot of what makes the M1 fast relies on it being a tightly integrated SoC as well as the dedicated FPGA. Adding cores is definitely going to improve performance in some areas, in which competitors like AMD currently have it beat by the way, but not in others. Anything that relies on the coprocessors is going to be mostly unaffected by increases in clock speed or core count and adapting it for desktop use might require a lot of changes to the design to accomodate for things like external graphics cards or expandable memory.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8o3_tp3ums

Disclaimer: May be slightly biased 😜 

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

1 hour ago, papajo said:

ok I guess blind people can not see...

No duh.

1 hour ago, papajo said:

It is slower in everything not just in the Graphics department. 

Slower compared to that. Is it slower compared to a mini PC, or a Core i3, or a Pentium, or a Celeron?

1 hour ago, papajo said:

and you can make a very small factor zen 3 

Like in the Velkase Velka 3?
Yeah, but it's a lot easier to just buy a computer preassembled then struggle with SFF PC building.

1 hour ago, papajo said:

as for the price it may hold true only including the recent events that skyrocketed prices with older prices or MSRP in mind thats not true at all

Do you have proof of that? The M1 Mac Mini's MSRP is $699. I'd like to see you try and build a PC that outperforms it in the same form factor for that price, based off of MSRP prices.

elephants

12 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

then I will always use desktops mainly and maybe laptops also but just for portability. I feel like apples cores are like a train that can handle instructions that are less Radom and coded directly for the cores better. sure its "faster" but its limited and needs to be coded for the cores. desktop cpus are like a car, they can go anywhere and do anything unlike a train that only stops at certain places and can only handle certain instructions that are made for it. so deskop cpus are "slower" in that regard. like the bullet train in japan is fast as hell, but you can only get off at certain stops and go certain places, a car can go anywhere and is more free and more things are accessible with a car. 

No, that's not the case. Apple's M1 is a generic CPU like the one found in your desktop, with some extra dedicated chips for some specific tasks (like video decoding/encoding).

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

A lot of what makes the M1 fast relies on it being a tightly integrated SoC as well as the dedicated FPGA.

Just a minor nitpick: the M1 has no fpga built in, instead it has proper fixed-function coprocessors.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

13 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Do you have proof of that? The M1 Mac Mini's MSRP is $699. I'd like to see you try and build a PC that outperforms it in the same form factor for that price, based off of MSRP prices.

That's generous towards the PC since the M1 Mini could most probably be about half the volume it currently is.

Just now, Spindel said:

That's generous towards the PC since the M1 Mini could most probably be about half the volume it currently is.

Hey - he wanted to operate off of MSRP, he can operate off of MSRP.

elephants

11 minutes ago, igormp said:

Just a minor nitpick: the M1 has no fpga built in, instead it has proper fixed-function coprocessors.

I thought I remembered them marketing a dynamically reprogrammable fpga...?

18 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Damn, are you saying a hobbyist working with standard off-the-shelf components can't make a computer that is as small as a model from an OEM that can get a custom PCB and chassis made according to their spec? Incredible, such a revolutionary achievement from Apple...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I thought I remembered them marketing a dynamically reprogrammable fpga...?

21 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I guess you might be confusing with some other marketing news haha

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Damn, are you saying a hobbyist working with standard off-the-shelf components can't make a computer that is as small as a model from an OEM that can get a custom PCB and chassis made according to their spec? Incredible, such a revolutionary achievement from Apple...

No, but there's similarly sized cases, such as the Velkase Velka 3:

https://www.velkase.com/products/velka-3
The ITX A60 Black:
https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/case/mini-itx-nuc/itx-a60-black

And probably a few others.

elephants

3 hours ago, papajo said:

Didn’t have to watch the video to see that.  Running an 8gb machine with internal graphics against a 16gb machine with a discrete card it’s not a question of shredded it’s a question of how shredded.  I stopped watching when narrator said the memory on the Mac mini could be upgraded.  This is wrong.  Memory on m1 macs is internal to the cpu.  You want more memory you need a different cpu. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

No, but there's similarly sized cases, such as the Velkase Velka 3:

https://www.velkase.com/products/velka-3
The ITX A60 Black:
https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/case/mini-itx-nuc/itx-a60-black

And probably a few others.

You're missing the point. I can't just go and slap a laptop form factor graphics card on a mini-itx build or have it built in to the processor on request. The only direct comparison you coud make is with a NUC but those haven't been updated in a while. The mac mini isn't competing against anything, it occupies its own market space. If for some reason you must have a very small desktop with reasonable performance then you can't really get anything else.

I question why anyone would have that kind of space restriction and not just go for a laptop though... perhaps there's a reason nobody else makes something like that. Intel tried and clearly it went nowhere, even though when they came out NUCs were significantly faster than the mac mini of the time. I think the only allure of the mac mini is that it's the cheapest mac, with the form factor being nice but ultimately irrelevant in the costumer's choice.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

You're missing the point. I can't just go and slap a laptop form factor graphics card on a mini-itx build or have it built in to the processor on request. The only direct comparison you coud make is with a NUC but those haven't been updated in a while. The mac mini isn't competing against anything, it occupies its own market space. If for some reason you must have a very small desktop with reasonable performance then you can't really get anything else.

I question why anyone would have that kind of space restriction and not just go for a laptop though... perhaps there's a reason nobody else makes something like that. Intel tried and clearly it went nowhere, even though when they came out NUCs were significantly faster than the mac mini of the time. I think the only allure of the mac mini is that it's the cheapest mac, with the form factor being nice but ultimately irrelevant in the costumer's choice.

That's the point I'm trying to make to @papajo- while you can make a better PC with the same price point, what you can't do is make it in the same size.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

That's the point I'm trying to make to @papajo- while you can make a better PC with the same price point, what you can't do is make it in the same size.

Yeah but it's a meaningless point, the vast majority of people considering one of those options have all the space they need to accomodate a small form factor custom desktop. To me this is no different than saying you can build a better PC at the same price point but it won't have an Apple logo on it; it's true but it's mostly irrelevant.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Mini has one thing that can be but isn’t always an advantage over a laptop:  separate screen.  You can get a big big screen and place it ergonomically. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I question why anyone would have that kind of space restriction and not just go for a laptop though

From what I've seen, those people have enough space for a monitor + peripherals, but no actual space for the pc case itself. Something like a mac mini is really easy to tuck behind the monitor or leave at the desk corner without using much space.

With a laptop you would need to choose between having no peripherals (as in, just using the laptop in the table with its tiny screen), or needing enough space to have laptop + peripherals (and a mac mini would need less space in this scenario while being faster).

Lenovo N23 Yoga

13 hours ago, ryan_lennoxbradley said:

They absolutely destroy anything else in h.265 4:2:2 video editing. even threadripper builds or the maxed out mac pro can't play it back smoothly. the macbook air can (but obv not the eor r5 or sony a1 8k footage, that can be handled by the macbook pro)

that's cause any other GPUs and CPUs out there only have h.265 4:2:0 encode and decode ad lack 4:2:2

or at least as of two months ago

this is considerably contrived , i'm not sure i'll change my stance at all as far as what I previously said going forward.