4-pin to 8-pin PSU issue?

Valont
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The 4 pin CPU connector is rated for up to around 200 watts of power  (2 pairs x 12v x 9A per pair = 12x18 = ~ 216 watts)

The 8 pin CPU connector is rated for 4 pairs x 7A per pair x 12v = 336 watts  (each pair is de-rated for safety from 9A to 7A due to having so many wires so close together in the connector)

Your 3400g consumes around 50-60 watts, and maybe peaks at around 80 watts or so in heavy cpu benchmarks.

Basically, even if you abuse the CPU and overclock it a bit, you'll barely reach HALF of the capabilities of the 4 pin CPU connector. You're perfectly safe with just the 4 pin CPU connector from your power supply - adapters will only add potential failure points and they're not needed for your system.

Hi all,

Have just started building a PC to be used for work (no gaming), and have run into a small potential issue.
I have an Asus Prime-B450M-A II motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3400G, and a Be Quiet SFX power 2 400W power supply.
The MoBo has an 8-pin CPU connector, while the PSU only has a 4-pin.
Will this be an issue? I know there are adaptors that I can use but I don't know if they're worth it (like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CBPW10-15BK-Power-Supply-Adapter/dp/B0051Y0B0Y), or if I can just plug it straight in?

PC will only be used for general bits, internet browsing and office, so no overclocking or anything like that, just turning on XMP to get the 3200 MHz the RAM can output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Max

6 minutes ago, Valont said:

Hi all,

Have just started building a PC to be used for work (no gaming), and have run into a small potential issue.
I have an Asus Prime-B450M-A II motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3400G, and a Be Quiet SFX power 2 400W power supply.
Will this be an issue? I know there are adaptors that I can use but I don't know if they're worth it (like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CBPW10-15BK-Power-Supply-Adapter/dp/B0051Y0B0Y), or if I can just plug it straight in?

PC will only be used for general bits, internet browsing and office, so no overclocking or anything like that, just turning on XMP to get the 3200 MHz the RAM can output.

Thanks!

Max

In that case there shouldn't be much of a problem. Generally doing that isn't a good idea- It's a 4 pin for a reason- but because you're just using this for light tasks and you're not overclocking, It should be fine. The Adapter won't help deliver more power or anything, and I highly doubt It's necessary or will do anything if you don't get that adapter, though. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

3 minutes ago, Valont said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Max

I think the adapter or a different PSU would be the best bet, afaik most PSUs should come with a 4+4 pin connector. I have a few year old cheapo PSU, and it has a 4+4 connector

It won't do anything, I've run systems like that with no issues. As long as you aren't trying to overclock, nothing bad would happen. Using an adapter like that will do nothing to help.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It won't do anything, I've run systems like that with no issues. As long as you aren't trying to overclock, nothing bad would happen. Using an adapter like that will do nothing to help.

From what I have seen from the 8pin cpu pinout is that there is a sensor that detects that it is actually plugged in

1 minute ago, Latvian Video said:

From what I have seen from the 8pin cpu pinout is that there is a sensor that detects that it is actually plugged in

There is, but as long as there is a power connector in there in general, the system will turn on and work, especially if you're just planning on doing office work and nothing super intensive. If you're that worried about it, get a new PSU, but it should work no problem. 

For context, my friend ran a system with an overclocked FX 8320 for 3 years with a PSU that only had a 4pin EPS on a board that had an 8 pin with no issues whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, Valont said:

and a Be Quiet SFX power 2 400W power supply

Does the case you're using require you to have an SFX (small form factor, for the smaller generation of PC cases) power supply...?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

from what i understand, you can plug in 4-pin EPS into a 8-pin socket and it'll still work as is, just that the current delivery capability is limited

so i dont think you'll need an adapter in that case

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

The 4 pin CPU connector is rated for up to around 200 watts of power  (2 pairs x 12v x 9A per pair = 12x18 = ~ 216 watts)

The 8 pin CPU connector is rated for 4 pairs x 7A per pair x 12v = 336 watts  (each pair is de-rated for safety from 9A to 7A due to having so many wires so close together in the connector)

Your 3400g consumes around 50-60 watts, and maybe peaks at around 80 watts or so in heavy cpu benchmarks.

Basically, even if you abuse the CPU and overclock it a bit, you'll barely reach HALF of the capabilities of the 4 pin CPU connector. You're perfectly safe with just the 4 pin CPU connector from your power supply - adapters will only add potential failure points and they're not needed for your system.

26 minutes ago, Valont said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Max

You don't need a cheap Chinese firestarter. Just line up the 4-pin over the right part of the connector, plug it in and get on with your day.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

14 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Does the case you're using require you to have an SFX (small form factor, for the smaller generation of PC cases) power supply...?

It does, yes. Using a tiny case to fit in a small space.

2 minutes ago, Valont said:

It does, yes. Using a tiny case to fit in a small space.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#t=10&B=100&sort=wattage&page=1

SFX units that have an 8-pin (4+4) CPU power connector; that page can be further filtered to fit other criteria you need to meet - in case you need to swap your unit out for a more appropriate on, if you feel it will give additional peace of mind.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!