Sorry. Your gaming laptop sucks now. - Asus Flow X13 Review

AlexTheGreatish

By harnessing the power of AMD Asus has created a new class of laptop with the Flow X13 - the "Ultrabook that is more powerful than laptops much larger than it" (not the official title).

Check out the Asus Flow X13 at https://geni.us/JT73j

Buy MSI GE66 Raider (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Ohwp

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Bet.

Anything is a laptop if you're strong enough.

Preach it Brother!

errr...sister?

https://www.theportablepc.com/apolloa4.html

http://acmevideosystem.de/products/megapac-l2/

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I remember buying a notebook way back in 2008 that had, guess what? A HDMI "input".

Here's a radical idea - why not combine that external GPU brick and use the notebook's own display with it. Not everybody can or wants to sit in front of a desktop monitor and this would be a more portable solution too.

Heck, it could be done with almost any thin and light. Whack a desktop 3090 in a slightly larger external GPU box and you have yet more performance on tap. And since it's an accessory, you don't need to take it with you when you don't need it, making the argument for thin and lights still valid.

It would be very easy to standardize too since all you need is a notebook with thunderbolt and a HDMI iniput - both have been around and available for years. Same with those external GPU boxes.

In my case this would be an alternative to a traditional big 17 inch desktop replacement notebook. I could get by with integrated graphics when doing 2D stuff and grab that external GPU brick for doing heavy lifting. Of course the biggest advantage would be the ability to upgrade that graphics card in the future, or even drop in a Quadro and enjoy the benefits of a mobile workstation.

Yeah, if notebook manufacturers weren't sitting on their laurels we would have already seen this stuff on the market. This is what happens when innovation DIES.

53 minutes ago, Luscious said:

Here's a radical idea - why not combine that external GPU brick and use the notebook's own display with it.

You can.  The performance is slightly lower but it works pretty good.

so close to being the perfect laptop for me.

keyboard deck looks like it has a bit too much flex. would have to try the KB out myself.

the one thing i really wish ALL ultrabooks/thin and lights had is actual fan control (not just fan profiles that dont really do anything). I'm more than willing to have increased noise to reduce case temps. but unfortunately nothing but gaming laptops have this. And with undervolting now being locked out it's almost impossible to control any of the cooling on non-gaming laptops

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

the one thing i really wish ALL ultrabooks/thin and lights had is actual fan control (not just fan profiles that dont really do anything). I'm more than willing to have increased noise to reduce case temps. but unfortunately nothing but gaming laptops have this. And with undervolting now being locked out it's almost impossible to control any of the cooling on non-gaming laptops

Recently had someone send me an undervolting guide for the XPS 15.  Apparently undervolting is locked bc it can be used to hack your laptop (I think this is a dumb fix but at least there is a good reason you can't do it).

5 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Apparently undervolting is locked bc it can be used to hack your laptop (I think this is a dumb fix)

Agreed, it is a pretty stupid fix, at least give people the option to remove the lock. I think most people who undervolt do so because they are a bit more savvy and therefor less likely to encounter a situation where plundervolt can occur.

Hell my current laptop with a 7500U can still undervolt because Lenovo never bothered to implement this fix on their older stuff.

Give me full fan curve control or give me undervolt ;-;

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'm so into this laptop. I personally don't care about the external GPU though, especially considering its price. For $1500 you can get a decent gaming desktop in normal times, and actually even adding a bit more money would be a better investment. I do understand that many people would be interested in this though.

My only concern is the manufacturer. Asus usually tends to screw things up in one way or another so I'd like to wait a bit to as I'm pretty sure people will start reporting issues at some point. But anyway, I think this shows that it's not that hard to make a Macbook killer and add in some ports!

With that said, the most interesting thing for me is that the GPU is being upgraded in Q2 of 2021. Does it mean that Nvidia is releasing new GTX cards shortly?

It really bothers me how AMD still hasn't managed to get an actual ultraportable laptop with their ryzen CPUs and no gpu whatsoever. All of the products that they managed to get into still have that "gamerrr" feel and look awkward. 

I hope that there will be a ryzen-based XPS or lg gram in the future.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

12 minutes ago, Benji said:

That isn't AMD's fault

I'd say that it partially is, because as you said:

12 minutes ago, Benji said:

And due to the fact that AMD basically sells itself not primarily as a "professional product" but rather gamer-y

They could've tried to at least make a partnership with one of those companies for a more premium laptop. The closer we have to that nowadays is the hp envy, but its build quality is still not as good as the spectre's.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 hours ago, igormp said:

It really bothers me how AMD still hasn't managed to get an actual ultraportable laptop with their ryzen CPUs and no gpu whatsoever. All of the products that they managed to get into still have that "gamerrr" feel and look awkward. 

I hope that there will be a ryzen-based XPS or lg gram in the future.

HP Made a Envy 13 with one!  I think Lenovo has one too but its more on the budget end of the spectrum

11 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

HP Made a Envy 13 with one!  I think Lenovo has one too but its more on the budget end of the spectrum

Indeed, it's something! But as I said before:

1 hour ago, igormp said:

The closer we have to that nowadays is the hp envy, but its build quality is still not as good as the spectre's.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

image.png.ebadddb46f3f8ecd0a5f93e3f4eb3cb9.png

ouch. those are some high idle temps.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

17 hours ago, Arika S said:

image.png.ebadddb46f3f8ecd0a5f93e3f4eb3cb9.png

ouch. those are some high idle temps.

I don't consider these numbers high. The hottest point has the same temperature as the human body.

Honestly I think I will be fine with my ASUS TUF A15 with a 4800H and a 90 watt RTX 2060 for a little while.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

I don't consider these numbers high. The hottest point has the same temperature of the human body.

Yeah, those are pretty normal. The only one of my laptops that don't idle that low are some of my older ones like my X230 or T430 (even then, idle temps are in the 40s).

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of Moron Tech Tips:

It has 4803 points in Cinebench R20 (obviously not R23 as this would show throttling) for one or two runs. What a masterpiece!

What do we have here though?

https://www.kitguru.net/lifestyle/mobile/laptops/luke-hill/ryzen-9-5980hs-hands-on-asus-rog-flow-x13-performance-and-throttling/

Sorry, your shitty youtube channel sucks Linus. That would be the correct title for this video!

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for a portable gamer solution as a truck driver... I swap trucks a lot so I have to use a sub 300 watt power inverter that can plug into the vehicles 12 volt socket. The ones in trucks rarely let you take it much over 200 watts. I'm also planning to get into bitwig. I was actually looking at the GPD Win 3 thinking the portability factor is what will make me the most productive while happily sacrificing display quality. Then I got to thinking, in just about every situation I can imagine, I could make a 2 in 1 work for gaming. It'll awkwardly prop up on the dashboard of my Toyota Prius while I'm in the driver seat. I can fix it with Velcro straps to the back of any headrest while riding in the backseat of a car, and I could easily imagine something similar for an airplane seat. So, just get a 2 in 1 and an xbox controller, easy fix right? All I really play is rdr2, and so far, windows PC is the only reliable way to play the game in a portable format. USHIP is another way I make money and their app is useless on Android, I need a windows device to search all the loads and set the filters adequately. The Flow X13 will just serve all these purposes better than anything else on the market. To be completely fair, it's what every laptop needs to be for anyone who travels a lot. That is, it's portable, versatile, and powerful enough. However, the fact that it looks as though it may never be available has put me right back to the drawing board. The way I felt when changing my mind about the Win 3 is the way I feel again after looking everywhere for this item to no avail. Now I'm left with items that just barely cut it for red dead... Nitro spin... HP spectre... Surface book... Etc... Everyone calls off work so much these days that it leaves manufactures in a position where production is futile. Nothing worth having is in stock,  while governments are handing out money for every person alive so they can compete with each other for all the limited supplies. Are they doing this deliberately to teach people a lesson on economics, or have those in charge really just become that out of touch with reality? Even I as a truck driver knew the results of their decisions, so I would hope that the big boys, with 10 year economics grads at their disposal realized the effects of these poor decisions. Yet, this could teach people a valuable lesson, if we get money for not working, then the things we would've made at work will become unavailable to buy with the free money we've received. Not that I want a pat on the back, but I said this back before the first stimulus check was issued. This will only get worse, and the rebound will only become harder to catch. Luckily, China is preparing to be the only country left capable enough of stocking the world with some things they'd like to spend their free money on. We can all just make China our slaves lol. That is, until our money is so worthless that not even the Chinese want it anymore.