Another day, another try, another kind of fail

vladNMP

hi, 

i.m trying to make this 3x 3090 rig to work for a few days

the video shows starting with 1 gpu only on x1, 3 separate pcie 6 pin cables for each connector, 1 for riser, 2 separate ones for the gpu

the same thing happens when I try 2 gpus, exactly the same

mobo: asrock h110 btc+

psu: segotep gp1800g 1700W 

intel 2 core 4 th

8gb ram

6 pin risers

any.. ideas?

20210202_232746.jpg

20210202_232758.jpg

20210202_232809.jpg

I don't think that PSU can supply 1700W on the 12V rail - it has multicolored cables and a nonmodular interface.

Also, this specific model isn't on the PSU tier list.

elephants

You got a psu unit that is known to struggle delivering stable steady power so yeah no wonder. Also 6pin power? The 3090's need 8 pin on them.

12 minutes ago, vladNMP said:

mobo: asrock h110 btc+

intel 2 core 4 th

What CPU exactly. Also I'm not sure I see the power supply on the riser board.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You got a psu unit that is known to struggle delivering stable steady power so yeah no wonder. Also 6pin power? The 3090's need 8 pin on them.

i meant, 6 for riser, another 2 cables for gpu (with all 8 pins plugged in)

yeahhhh i guess i.ll trade the psu in for another.....dont know for wich yet

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

What CPU exactly. Also I'm not sure I see the power supply on the riser board.

G5420

what do you mean at the end?

80 Plus is not a standard for quality but I don't trust psu's with fake 80 Plus logo's.

14 minutes ago, vladNMP said:

3 separate pcie 6 pin cables for each connector, 1 for riser, 2 separate ones for the gpu

You want to power the videocard with two 6 pin?

Just now, --SID-- said:

80 Plus is not a standard for quality but I don't trust psu's with fake 80 Plus logo's.

You want to power the videocard with two 6 pin?

forgot to say but yeah i plugged both cables with the whole 8 pin connectors

2 minutes ago, vladNMP said:

G5420

That CPU isn't supported by the mobo.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

F@H

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, vladNMP said:

please dont tell me i damaged my motherboard or something

Probably not won't know till ya get a supported one like a g4650 plenty of those around on the used market from older budget builds

So, a few things.  As others have already pointed out.

1.  WAAAAAAYYYY to cheap/garbage PSU to power one 3090.  Never mind two or three.  Just because a PSU says "1.2 Jiggawatts" on the label, doesn't even mean it can do half that.  It's also not even 80 PLUS Gold.  There IS NO GP1800G anywhere to be found on the 80 PLUS website.  I actually question whether or not that PSU is actually even made by Segotep and not some counterfeit.

2.  Where are you located?  What are your main's voltage?  That PSU is only supposed to work with 230V mains.  But, like I said, it's garbage and should be used as a doorstop.

3.  CPU not compatible with motherboard.

Get the correct CPU and get either a Corsair AX1600i, Enermax MaxRevo 1500W, SuperFlower Leadex 1600W, EVGA P2 1600W and call it a day.

3 hours ago, --SID-- said:

how do you know its fake? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

58 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

There's a website... It's "80plus.org".  You go there.  You look for the unit in their database.  It's not there.  There's nothing even close to it there.

Also, Google the PSU model. The logo they use isn't even 80 PLUS!  It says "90+ EFFICIENCY AT 50% LOAD" and it's "GOLD" in color!!!!

image.png.c9f0990a3eca508f5f2fcdc14f6cfa59.png

This PSU is the fakest fake fakity fake fake piece of crap fakeness you could possibly buy.  The only thing more fake would be a bar of chocolate wrapped in a gold wrapper with "80 PLUS" stamped on it... and I would RATHER have that.

37 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Because it says 90+, which is not part of the 80+ scheme.

20210203_131415.jpg.2f4aa2bab71f6bb0142193242ec99028.jpg

Now, that doesn't mean that the PSU isn't 90% efficient at 50% load as that badge would suggest. Just means that it's not an official 80+ rating, hence why people called it a fake badge. It's just their own thing they made up and slapped on the box. It could mean absolutely nothing and they just slapped it on the because they thought it would look good and sell more units. Or maybe they just didn't want to pay the fee to have it properly certified.

Keep in mind 80+ Gold requires at least 90% efficiency at 50% load (115VAC). Since the PSU states 220v input, for it to qualify for 80+ Gold rating it would need to be at least 92% efficient at 50% load. So 90%+ efficiency at 50% load isn't really that impressive.

4 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I don't think that PSU can supply 1700W on the 12V rail - it has multicolored cables and a nonmodular interface.

Also, this specific model isn't on the PSU tier list.

That's not how this works. The colour of the cables had absolutely nothing to do with how much power it can deliver. Just because it doesn't have black sleeved modular cables doesn't automatically mean it's shit. There's plenty of good power supplies that look plainer than your Grandma on a Tuesday but are built to very high standards. For example look at stuff like the Dell workstation power supplies and they'll have fixed ketchup and mustard cables, won't even be powder coated, but still be absolute tanks made by Delta, able to output 1000w+ with 80+ titanium efficiency ratings.

Black/sleeved cables and modular cables are just extra features customers want that adds to the cost of the unit. When it comes to mining PSUs do you think miners care if the cables are sleeved or not? All they care about is the big number before the W and how many PCIe cables it has.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

This thread starting off with "3x 3090" and then reading the rest is a hell of an adventure. Trying very hard not to say something snide.

@vladNMPI strongly recommend you set everything aside and do more basic research before you actually destroy any of the hardware you've clearly spent a great deal of money on. You have thousands of dollars invested here but your posts give the impression you have less knowledge than the average person doing their very first budget build. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

That's not how this works. The colour of the cables had absolutely nothing to do with how much power it can deliver. Just because it doesn't have black sleeved modular cables doesn't automatically mean it's shit. There's plenty of good power supplies that look plainer than your Grandma on a Tuesday but are built to very high standards. For example look at stuff like the Dell workstation power supplies and they'll have fixed ketchup and mustard cables, won't even be powder coated, but still be absolute tanks made by Delta, able to output 1000w+ with 80+ titanium efficiency ratings.

Black/sleeved cables and modular cables are just extra features customers want that adds to the cost of the unit. When it comes to mining PSUs do you think miners care if the cables are sleeved or not? All they care about is the big number before the W and how many PCIe cables it has.

Fair.

But almost every single high-wattage PSU that's designed to go into a regular ATX computer I've seen has had either a modular interface or black cables.

I'll keep this in mind, though.

elephants

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

There IS NO GP1800G anywhere to be found on the 80 PLUS website.  I actually question whether or not that PSU is actually even made by Segotep and not some counterfeit.

Segotep.com isn't loading for me, but there's a product page for it on segotep.my under mining PSUs.

https://segotep.my/gp1800g/

Judging by the image and 140mm fan the PSU appears to be 160mm long. Must be a very dense PSU if it's 1700W. Unfortunately no internal photos on that website.

Also speaking of websites not loading, Jonnyguru aye?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

why spend a fortune on graphics cards and cheap out on the power supply, if you have 1000s for graphics card you probably have 1-200 to spend on something that is at least mid teir or so. these new high end gpus suck so much power have have spikes. ive never gotten the best of the best psus by any stretch but I try to stick to legit stuff that's name brand that has a good amount of overhead for my use case. If you get something higher quality having lots of overhead wont be as important because you will be able to push it closer to its limit. The psus from that brand that I have seen on newegg have real 80 plus ratings which makes it VERY sus, on paper that psu should be fine but the fact that it looks way cheaper than my 50 dollar white rated units that at least have sleeved cables makes me uneasy, with the gpu market the way it is now you dont want to be blowing up top teir cards or any card for that matter. 

4 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

why spend a fortune on graphics cards and cheap out on the power supply, if you have 1000s for graphics card you probably have 1-200 to spend on something that is at least mid teir or so. ive never gotten the best of the best psus by any stretch but I try to stick to legit stuff that's name brand that has a good amount of overhead for my use case. If you get something higher quality having lots of overhead wont be as important because you will be able to push it closer to its limit. The psus from that brand that I have seen on newegg have real 80 plus ratings which makes it VERY sus, on paper that psu should be fine but the fact that it looks way cheaper than my 50 dollar white rated units that at least have sleeved cables makes me uneasy, with the gpu market the way it is now you dont want to be blowing up top teir cards or any card for that matter. 

He's trying to maximize his profit margin. He heard you can make money from mining with powerful GPU's and he really knows next to nothing about PC's besides that. Not trying to attack the guy, just stating what's fairly obvious from his posts. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

He's trying to maximize his profit margin. He heard you can make money from mining with powerful GPU's and he really knows next to nothing about PC's besides that. Not trying to attack the guy, just stating what's fairly obvious from his posts. 

I dont even know a lot about psus and avoid answering questions in the psu subfourm because of that, but I can spot a cheapo when i see one and cheap power supply's and 3090s don't mix, especially fake cheap power supply's that are way worse than name brand cheap power supply's that at least deliver close to their rated power and have protections. op sell the cards or get a real power supply and throw that garbage away or try and return it depending on were you bought it from. 

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Because it says 90+, which is not part of the 80+ scheme.

Ah, I didn't see that... yeah, I know 90+ doesn't officially exist.

I was just asking because I've seen people say 'fake' for 80+ units and I was honestly wondering how they'd know (I guess one could look it up though if it's a registered psu or not...) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity