YouTube Defaulting to 480p/720p on desktop

Go to solution Solved by amintha1992,

it seems to be back to normal now. I didn't make any changes. fixed it self, my favorite kind of fix,

anyone else having issues with YouTube defaulting to low quality on desktop?

Iv checked my internet connection and it is normal. usually can handle multiple 4K streams.

restarted the computer and the usual stuff. 

no change. 

any ideas?

Isn't this intended behaviour for a long time now because of the increased load due to the pandemic?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

Isn't this intended behaviour for a long time now because of the increased load due to the pandemic?

It defaults to whatever you set it to before.

I have it set to 4K (even though I have 1080p monitors) and it remembers that.

elephants

never was for me since yesterday. 

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

iv always set it to the highest available.

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

3 minutes ago, amintha1992 said:

Seems like that was only for a month.

It does remember it for me in the sense that it chooses "Auto 1080p", but I do often seem to get higher quality by explicitely selecting 1080p. Not sure why it doesn't remember your pick.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Seems like that was only for a month.

It does remember it for me in the sense that it chooses "Auto 1080p", but I do often seem to get higher quality by explicitely selecting 1080p. Not sure why it doesn't remember your pick.

I guess ill deal with it for a bit and see if it gets better.

5 minutes ago, amintha1992 said:

Try grabbing Enhancer for YouTube. The option you're looking for is "Automatically play videos at my preferred quality". You can disable all other options.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

1 hour ago, PorkishPig said:

Try grabbing Enhancer for YouTube. The option you're looking for is "Automatically play videos at my preferred quality". You can disable all other options.

thanks for the idea.

1 hour ago, amintha1992 said:

anyone else having issues with YouTube defaulting to low quality on desktop?

Iv checked my internet connection and it is normal. usually can handle multiple 4K streams.

restarted the computer and the usual stuff. 

no change. 

any ideas?

I believe a while back, youtube defaulted to 480p because of the heavy load during the pandemic. Perhaps they change it daily depending on the usage?

Just now, steelo said:

I believe awhile back, youtube defaulted to 480p because of the load during the pandemic. Perhaps they change it daily depending on the number of users they expect?

it was odd that its happening now. and not when it was first starting. 

They're slowly rolling out a change, at least from what I can tell it's slowly rolling out, to where the quality matches the viewport of the player so if you've got a small viewing window it will default to lower quality. It started to happen for me a couple months ago, it's really annoying.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, amintha1992 said:

it was odd that its happening now. and not when it was first starting. 

Just checked mine and it defaulted to 720p, this is on a relatively powerful laptop that has a good connection and would have no problem streaming 1080p. Not really sure why...

You are able to change it though, right?

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Just checked mine and it defaulted to 720p, this is on a laptop. Not really sure why...

You are able to change it though, right?

yes , I can change it manually.

although the past couple of videos seems to default to the highest available. Hopefully the problem is gone.

4 minutes ago, amintha1992 said:

yes , I can change it manually.

although the past couple of videos seems to default to the highest available. Hopefully the problem is gone.

I wonder if it saves your video quality preferences whenever you log in? I can maybe see if you don't log in each time and then clear your history/cache, it reverting to a low setting.

I guess it kind of makes sense why they lower the streaming quality...imagine if everyone was streaming at 2k or 4k, by default because that is what they had it set at last?

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv