Thought: M.2 NVMe slot on GPU

I'm watching the RTX 3080 Mobile video and had a thought:
What if graphics cards could have an M.2 NVMe slot (no SATA) on them as well?
And yes, I know that that would remove bandwidth. But it could be disabled without a drive installed.

Idea came to me because the 3080 card he showed had something that looked kinda like an M.2 motherboard heat sink.

elephants

No lol that's dumb. There is no space on the PCB for doing so, it would look terrible, add cost and a significant amount of complexity, and I don't think anyone would actually use it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Why would you even want that?

There are plenty M.2 to PCIe slot adapters.

Also do you really want to include a drive to the inferno that is a modern GPU?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

wasnt linus gonna try a gpu that runs on the m.2 factor?

yeah i wish it is possible but consider how hard would it be to shrink to that form factor... we arent even in a year that we can do that

exp gdc does provide an m.2 solution foir external gpu tho:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1DW-002N-00002?Description=exp gdc m.2&cm_re=exp_gdc m.2-_-9SIA6TJ6NX2380-_-Product&quicklink=true

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Also do you really want to include a drive to the inferno that is a modern GPU?

Stick it on a GT 1010 or something.

elephants

giphy.gif

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Stick it on a GT 1010 or something.

well that's kinda confusing me
are you saying that maybe modern gpus would have an m.2 slot? i dont think there's a reason to do so if that's the case

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Just now, GorujoCY said:

well that's kinda confusing me
are you saying that maybe modern gpus would have an m.2 slot? i dont think there's a reason to dos if that's the case

I'm saying that GPUs could have an M.2 slot on them.

Though, in retrospect, this is not smart.

Just an idea that popped into my head.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Why not.

No one said ideas have to be good.

Except the people/companies that'd have be spending money on a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I'm saying that GPUs could have an M.2 slot on them.

Though, in retrospect, this is not smart.

Just an idea that popped into my head.

yeah but again, for what reason are you thinking gpus could have an m.2 slot, i dont really see it here..

My PC

Just now, GorujoCY said:

yeah but again, for what reason are you thinking gpus could have an m.2 slot, i dont really see it here..

Well (with the exception of the 3090 and maybe the 3080) GPUs aren't really using the entire bandwidth available to them.

I was thinking that this could be a way to use it.

elephants

7 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

.......why? lol

Elephants. Elephants can have M.2 slots too

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

They don't have a way to connect to a PCIe slot, though, because we haven't figured out a way to make it wireless.

elephants

30 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Well (with the exception of the 3090 and maybe the 3080) GPUs aren't really using the entire bandwidth available to them.

I was thinking that this could be a way to use it.

How about they just make a dual GPU 3080? 😛 

31 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

And well deserved at that! But I wonder ...how to fit an elephant in a PCIe x16 slot?

1 hour ago, aDoomGuy said:

How about they just make a dual GPU 3080? 😛 

And well deserved at that! But I wonder ...how to fit an elephant in a PCIe x16 slot?

No need, elephant has internal PCI-e with adaptive lanes

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.