Is making your own keyboard good value?

VioletBiscuit56
Just now, VioletBiscuit56 said:

Was wondering if i could get better quality components when making my own rarther then buying a pre built one

I have never heard of somone building tehr own keyboard

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

i think it depends on what you use and where you get the items from.

usually when i hear about people making their own it's because they have the money to make an expensive one and customize it themselves.

i haven't heard of people making a cheap keyboard themselves but it wouldn't suprise me if you could.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Depends what perspective of "value" you're coming from.

If we're talking about a device that you can use to make letters appear on your page, it's pretty difficult to beat the value of something like a Logitech K120 which does that just fine for 15 USD.

A lot of people however value their experience with a keyboard, as much so they want to spend more money to get a keyboard that types better.

That brings you into the realm of mechanical keyboards, which can be had for 60 USD and up.

Now you have to sort of know what switches you like and sometimes that means you can't get the Corsair, HyperX and Coolermaster options of the world, as you want more specialty switches (i.e. not Gateron or Cherry MX).

A custom keyboard brings value to people who fall in that niche. Those who want to spend more on their keyboard, maybe because it has transcended above "just a keyboard" to something more akin to a hobby.

I'd say a keyboard like the GMMK is a good first step, as it allows you to use the switches you want to use with ease. Of course others might prefer the fully custom route, where stabilizer, backplate, PCB, etc. options are more open.

So in short, it depends on how much you value your typing experiences. Making your own keyboard is not cheap when comparing it to "other keyboard input devices", but it can get you the keyboard that suits you the best.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/