Is 8gb of V-RAM good enough for 4k and 1440p gaming?

dylanlisgo

Hi im looking into buying a new GPU and I can't find out if 8gb of V-RAM is enough for 4k and 1440p or if its neccasary to go looking for a card with 16gb instead?

4 minutes ago, dylanlisgo said:

Hi im looking into buying a new GPU and I can't find out if 8gb of V-RAM is enough for 4k and 1440p or if its neccasary to go looking for a card with 16gb instead?

VRAM is mostly determined by texture size, not monitor resolution as such. So it depends on the game, how many textures it has and what their resolution is. Afaik Doom Eternal on the highest setting requires more than 8 GB VRAM. Most games should still be fine with 8 GB.

I'd say it depends on two things: Which games do you play and how long do you intend to keep the GPU? The longer you keep it, the higher the chance future games might require more.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Yup, if you don't need every graphics setting maxxed out, that 8GB is enough.

I edit my posts more often than not

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

VRAM is mostly determined by texture size, not monitor resolution as such. So it depends on the game, how many textures it has and what their resolution is. Afaik Doom Eternal on the highest setting requires more than 8 GB VRAM. Most games should still be fine with 8 GB.

I'd say it depends on two things: Which games do you play and how long do you intend to keep the GPU? The longer you keep it, the higher the chance future games might require more.

Im wanna play cyberpunk , red dead , 7 days to die and some vr games like half life alex. Im planning on keeping the card 2 or 3 years.

i'm running a 3070FE @ 1440p  max settings and no issues with Vram getting full

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, dylanlisgo said:

Im wanna play cyberpunk , red dead , 7 days to die and some vr games like half life alex. Im planning on keeping the card 2 or 3 years.

Should be fine. As @Tan3l6 said, in the worst case you might have to lower texture resolution in future games. But 16 GB is probably overkill for a GPU that's supposed to last 2-3 years. If games require it in 3+ years and you get a new GPU anyway, you paid for something you never needed/used.

I can't predict the future, of course. It's entirely possible games are all going to require more than 8 GB in a year, but it's fairly unlikely since developers typically target the majority of PC owners and/or consoles.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Good enough will depend mainly on a personal judgement. It can be good enough at 4k and beyond if you think it is. The only minor concern is that in some cases you might not be able to set the highest settings and maintain high performance. If you're an "everything has to be ultra" person, look elsewhere. If you don't mind balancing settings, it'll be more than fine.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible