Problem we face as techies/gamers

mogan23

Well I decided to start this topic to talk about problems that us techies/gamers or just people who are around computers a lot, face. Like health,social problems etc. well for me it's my vision, I have myopia or short sightedness due to gaming and reading.my brother introduced me to gaming when I was around 5 years old (17 now) . The last time I got checked was about 3 years ago and it was about 225 degrees. So I have to wear glasses. And that sometimes gets in the way when I play sports. Also my future course of study is a diploma in nautical studies( studying to become an officer onboard ships) and it requires students to have a maximum of 500 degrees or 6/60 (metric) vision. So I might need to get LASIK surgery which isn't exactly cheap.

So I invite everyone to share their problems they face as techies/gamers and how you cope with it. Like how people treat you as techies/gamers.

I have been called nerd a few times, dont realy care though. I am proud of my computer/technology skills as i know computers are the future.

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

Is your bad vision because of you being a gamer?

I find it hard to play video games with my IRL friends because they are all pretty bad, so I mostly just play with my interweb friends.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Trying to get a bunch of friends to agree to play a game for a session. We can't agree on a game and some don't like some genres of games and what not. >.<

i am extremely lazy which when i find a comfortable position when gaming i like to stay in resulting less sleep and being out of shape i dont like to move so i dont and i need to fix that

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

I find it hard to play video games with my IRL friends because they are all pretty bad, so I mostly just play with my interweb friends.

Oh I forgot to mention that , yes my vision is bad mainly due to gaming and reading. My brother introduced me to gaming when I was very young .like 5 years old, need for speed was fun !

My problem is the lack of knowledge that afflicts pretty much everyone around me, to put it bluntly they are dumb when it comes to hardware but it's bearable because a few of them know that I know what the f**k I'm talking about and will listen to me when I explain something(Mom, Sister, Brother-in-law). The others however who don't know what they're talking about and refuse to acknowledge that they don't know what they're talking about are the infuriating ones.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Awful vision and callused wrists.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

My problem is the lack of knowledge that afflicts pretty much everyone around me, to put it bluntly they are dumb when it comes to hardware but it's bearable because a few of them know that I know what the f**k I'm talking about and will listen to me when I explain something(Mom, Sister, Brother-in-law). The others however who don't know what they're talking about and refuse to acknowledge that they don't know what they're talking about are the infuriating ones.

So true! I always overhear people completely failing at talking about tech. I just silently smile and think 'you guys have no clue what you're talking about'.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Tbh, some of my online friends are god awful at games too.  I have like 5 friends I learned to play LoL with, and now every game we lose, majority of the time it's because they do stupid crap and I'm stuck saying "WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING THERE?????????"

I haven't played LoL in like 3 weeks thankfully I'm addicted to bf4 right now. lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Well I decided to start this topic to talk about problems that us techies/gamers or just people who are around computers a lot, face. Like health,social problems etc. well for me it's my vision, I have myopia or short sightedness due to gaming and reading.my brother introduced me to gaming when I was around 5 years old (17 now) . The last time I got checked was about 3 years ago and it was about 225 degrees. So I have to wear glasses. And that sometimes gets in the way when I play sports. Also my future course of study is a diploma in nautical studies( studying to become an officer onboard ships) and it requires students to have a maximum of 500 degrees or 6/60 (metric) vision. So I might need to get LASIK surgery which isn't exactly cheap.

So I invite everyone to share their problems they face as techies/gamers and how you cope with it. Like how people treat you as techies/gamers.

I doubt your vision issues were caused by gaming. 

I doubt your vision issues were caused by gaming.

Why do you say so ? I also used to read a lot ,hardy boys and the three investigators are my favorite .

My hardest time is, finding the time to do other things, since I'm only 16... my mom is very strict about how long I do this and that... or go make some friends and such... other than that my gaming experience is ok.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I don't have any health problems from gaming, my eye sight is good. I'm unfit because of asthma and laziness but I'm not overweight, quite the opposite really. My problems come from being a shut-in. I can't really relate to anyone apart from people that are exactly like me. I've stayed inside because I don't like doing what everyone else does (going to pubs, clubs and the like) and because people (apart from my gf and close friend) are generally shitty to me. I like a ton of different things, but I spend the most time with my computer. Gaming, like the stereotype depicts, helps me get away from shitty people and put myself in someone elses shoes, someone usually a lot stronger than me (lol). Then, people get all shitty with me cause I never go out and I'm always on the comp, so I never go out because of people like them. Soooo yeaaahh...

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

No health problems from my daily activities.. But I'm curious about the forum in regards to a stereotype.

The stereotype that all geeks/computer users are mostly overweight or borderline bigger than they should be.

A website Poll for the whole forum to take would shed light on this.

I'm 31, am just shy of 6ft, and I'm 71Kg's, between the ages of 18-28 i was a meat eating 62.5->67.5Kg bodytype <- maximum amount of variance.

Don't have a lot of body fat, yet I sat on my arse for years between 18-23 eating so much junk and crap, I may not have been eating 3 regulated meals a day, but was very surprised at my body maintaining itself.

Who else does NOT fit the stereotype?, I do expect a lot of us to NOT fit it..

I think it was always overstated from a ratio standpoint "fat vs non-fat PC users"

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'm the opposite of fat. I'm 172 cm and 43 kg. yes I know that severely underweight for a guy. But I have a high metabolism rate , and I've been underweight most of my life. My skinny build couple with asthma means I can't really play sports a lot as I have low stamina. I was also bullied because of being skinny and so I spent most of my time at home .but now I'm opening up and being less of an introvert

Herniated disc, weakened hands due to equal parts guitar playing and excessive keyboard/mouse usage, type 2 diabetes, social anxiety and clinical depression. Although I can't say if any of this is because of being a nerd or why I am a nerd to begin with.

I tend to think it's why I am a nerd since I take the nature side of the nature vs nurture but who knows.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't have any health problems from gaming, my eye sight is good. I'm unfit because of asthma and laziness but I'm not overweight, quite the opposite really. My problems come from being a shut-in. I can't really relate to anyone apart from people that are exactly like me. I've stayed inside because I don't like doing what everyone else does (going to pubs, clubs and the like) and because people (apart from my gf and close friend) are generally shitty to me. I like a ton of different things, but I spend the most time with my computer. Gaming, like the stereotype depicts, helps me get away from shitty people and put myself in someone elses shoes, someone usually a lot stronger than me (lol). Then, people get all shitty with me cause I never go out and I'm always on the comp, so I never go out because of people like them. Soooo yeaaahh...

Asthma doesn't make you "unfit" I had Asthma and went over it by just training, doing sports and not by being inside my house all year long.

No health problems from my daily activities.. But I'm curious about the forum in regards to a stereotype.

The stereotype that all geeks/computer users are mostly overweight or borderline bigger than they should be.

A website Poll for the whole forum to take would shed light on this.

I'm 31, am just shy of 6ft, and I'm 71Kg's, between the ages of 18-28 i was a meat eating 62.5->67.5Kg bodytype <- maximum amount of variance.

Don't have a lot of body fat, yet I sat on my arse for years between 18-23 eating so much junk and crap, I may not have been eating 3 regulated meals a day, but was very surprised at my body maintaining itself.

Who else does NOT fit the stereotype?, I do expect a lot of us to NOT fit it..

I think it was always overstated from a ratio standpoint "fat vs non-fat PC users"

I also don't fit that stereotype. I am 15, and have been a gamer since I was about 8. I had friends all along, and as a kid I was fairly active, but now I mostly sit on my computer, yet I am shy of 50 KG at about 5 foot 7. So annoying how people automatically assume we're all fat and don't have lifes :/

Bad vision for me. And occasionally my ankles swell when I'm on my computer for long periods.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

Asthma doesn't make you "unfit" I had Asthma and went over it by just training, doing sports and not by being inside my house all year long.

Asthma does make it harder to get enough oxygen when doing very exhausting tasks like running. I had asthma when I was younger, and I could definitely feel it when we were running at tennis practice etc. It got better after a while though, and now I don't have it anymore.

For problems I've faced because of playing games/being at the computer all the time, is probably people being so fking judgmental about it. In high school I was just known as "the guy who plays games all the time instead of hanging out with friends", which was pure bullshit. I had lots of friends, and every weekend we'd have sleepovers etc. And when we have like "get to know each other" where you say your name and your interests/hobbies, you can't say "I like to play games and working with computers", that will brand you as a "nerd". I always said "I like to play football and be with friends etc" instead just to NOT get branded as a "no life gamer".

Another problem I've had/still have, is wrist pain and some finger pain. It's not constant, it comes and goes sometimes, and it's really annoying. I don't enjoy playing games and being on the computer as much as I did before, but it's still fun. My biggest issue is playing singleplayer games, because that's when you have to be really immersed in the game and you know you can quit all the time, so I would just think about the pain all the time instead of paying attention to the story etc.. It's gotten better now, and it continues to get better. I can't really use the Deathadder because it doesn't support the palm/wrist at all, which leaves my wrist pressing against the mousepad. It's much better with the Steelseries Rival, which is the only mouse I have encountered that gives real support the palm/wrist so you can have it off the mousepad. I used to have some back pain, but that has completely gone after I started working out in a gym. 

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

I guess I'm one of those lucky gamer/techie guy that still goes to clubs occasionally and has a gamer girlfriend. The only problem I face is when I make new friends, most of them don't play the same games as I do. All they play is Dota 2 and LoL. I don't like those games.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

I'm pretty skinny too. I'm about 176 cm tall and my weight is about 63 kg. And I'm 15 years old :F

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

My eyes were never ruined by gaming, no idea why there's so many posts about it. Computer monitors aren't damaging to human eyes, they can just strain them and dry them out worst case scenario. I'm still rocking my 20/15 vision  :mellow:

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

I guess I'm one of those lucky gamer/techie guy that still goes to clubs occasionally and has a gamer girlfriend. The only problem I face is when I make new friends, most of them don't play the same games as I do. All they play is Dota 2 and LoL. I don't like those games.

ALOT of gamers are social and go out etc, people misunderstand gamers.

Because playing FIFA alot isn't nolife nerdy gaming and any other game is?