Problem we face as techies/gamers

mogan23

I find that most people here can relate to this but social anxiety. It's not horrible but I freak out in large places. I prefer smaller places with a group of no more than about 15 people to socialize with, a handful being people I don't know. Otherwise, it's extremely overwhelming. It's gotten far better over the years. Fortunately, most of my friends are extroverts so that's helped me marginally.

I mainly reflect people's energy when I first meet them. If you're boring and awkward, I'll reflect that back to you ten fold. If you have a ton of enthusiasm and energy, I'm far more open, almost like I've known you as a best friend for years.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Cables either being to long or too short. I hate it

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I'm not fit, but im not fat, I'm like a twig. I have bad eyesight, but that was allways a problem for as long as i can remember. I was introduced into gaming earlyer than i can remember, and have allways been one.

the big problem for me is that im in a town full of hicks, I'm 16, and their are only about 50 other people my age in school, and they have no idea what makes a computer tick. if i ever try to get into a discussion, or blert out something like: oh my //>insert product name<\\ arrived, they look like a deer in headlights. im not really someone who goes out and does stuff, mainly because there isn't that much to do where i live, unless you want to drive 15 miles.

It's much easier just to stay hiden away and actually have fun.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

I'm pretty skinny too. I'm about 176 cm tall and my weight is about 63 kg. And I'm 15 years old :F

Git gud scrub, 68 kilos and 194 cm :D

But as for health problems, not really. Still excellent vision and okay endurance, but that's because I've only ever trained fast muscles and left the more enduring ones rot.

And there's plenty of popular guys who have similar tech knowledge as me, so that doesn't cause any problems like that.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Ignorance, fanboys and black sheep would be the biggest problems I find myself facing with the tech community, to be honest. They're distressingly common in the tech community, which is disappointing.

The Apple hate train and PCMasterRace elitists constantly get on my tits.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I have athsma and food/environmental allergies which do occasionally get in the way of things that I want to do. I'm 5' 10" or 177cm tall and roughly 140lbs or 63kg despite having a ravenous appetite. So I'm currently in little danger of becoming overweight. However, I am terribly out of shape.

My vision is slightly myopic, more so on my left eye (as my left eye is closer to the monitor than my right eye), I can only sit in awkward positions while on a computer (any other position other than normally sitting on a chair, legs in a ''normal'' sitting position), my finger joints, wrists, toes and in some cases my feet crunch a lot, I'm rather shy and I have a hard time even trying to speak normally, as it's mainly slow and sluggish (not only due to my unsocial life, but due to Specific Language Impairment).

As far as local community (high school) goes for me... Students play lots of games... but only mobile games. (like for example the game Hay Day is spreading like cancer around here), most students in my class have iPhone 4s's (but it's the only iPhone model that's being used here), the only people who understand at least more about PC tech than just how to do word processing and how to to get to social media, are the second-year students who play CS: GO competitively at jump hours and some very few selected students and teachers. Unfortunately no PC tech enthusiasts in there except me.

I just realized I'm using way too much parenthesis.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I'm not fit, but im not fat, I'm like a twig. I have bad eyesight, but that was allways a problem for as long as i can remember. I was introduced into gaming earlyer than i can remember, and have allways been one.

the big problem for me is that im in a town full of hicks, I'm 16, and their are only about 50 other people my age in school, and they have no idea what makes a computer tick. if i ever try to get into a discussion, or blert out something like: oh my //>insert product name<\\ arrived, they look like a deer in headlights. im not really someone who goes out and does stuff, mainly because there isn't that much to do where i live, unless you want to drive 15 miles.

It's much easier just to stay hiden away and actually have fun.

When you get older you should travel. Don't get me wrong, I love the middle of nowhere and have a great appreciation as a city person but staying somewhere too long seems toxic. You should experience things outside of your town

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

My problem is that none of my friends play PC games. Other than stuff like minecraft. You can only play one game before so long before you want to shoot yourself....

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

I have been called geek as well as nerd many times...friends do get annoyed when some1 asks about a tech and i go so deep in explaining to the person that they really have to stuff something in my mouth... :P ....

But ya it feels good too to make people understand about tech... :) ...call me watever u like... -_-  :ph34r:

No one seen that study recently that showed gaming and monitors to don't result in losing your eyesight may have to dig it up when I'm home.

No one understands my passion for esports.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

People think i'm soooooo smart because I know how to repair, build, run, and maintain computers, and practically every other electronic device. 

It's nice to hear for the first couple times, but after a while the voice in the back of my head says "Goddammit people, read something. LEARN!!!!"

I also noticed the eyesight thing. My optometrist has told me that monitors and the like will not degrade your eyesight, but they'll accentuate preexisting conditions. 

Tired of hearing people say you can't install OS X on AMD hardware. Educate yourself.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/138853-just-got-myself-into-a-fully-working-hackintosh-amd-no-less/

Money

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

For me its being the only person in the house who can fix the tv,router or any electronic in the house.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

when my mate says his ps4 graphics beats my r9 280x.............enough said :lol:

*facepalm*

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

My problem is the lack of knowledge that afflicts pretty much everyone around me, to put it bluntly they are dumb when it comes to hardware but it's bearable because a few of them know that I know what the f**k I'm talking about and will listen to me when I explain something(Mom, Sister, Brother-in-law). The others however who don't know what they're talking about and refuse to acknowledge that they don't know what they're talking about are the infuriating ones.

My sentiments exactly. People, when I point at the PCH heatsink and identify what it is, say no, that is the internet's wifi thingie and refuse to acknoweledge what it is.

Sometimes I correct them and they become interested in learning, that is the best, when people acknowledge their mistakes and go the extra mile to learn more. The rest of them just think I am a retard.

Sometimes I get tunnel vision and everything but the monitor disappears when I'm just using my computer, I don't play computer games.

I also have problems with being made fun of, today somebody was saying that all I do is "geek squad, tech squad, computer squad" and I got so pissed off I threw a BINDER at him (got in some trouble for that, but resolved it) I was like NO. 

1. Geek Squad sucks.
  2. You do not bully a tech nerd for being a nerd when you call photos "screenshots" and do not know that the iPhone cable can transfer data.

EDIT: If you guys want to talk about people being stupid about technology, head right over here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

Bad vision is not caused by reading or staring at a screen. Pretty much all doctors will agree that while focusing on something close to your face for too long can cause eyestrain, but it will not cause permanent damage.

Your vision being bad is because of your genes, not reading or gaming.

Really the only issue I have is respect. Due to me being asian no one in my school respects my athletic talent. Even though I'm not the best, I am better than the average person in my school (Soccer, Handball, Basketball sorta, decent QB in Football, and good pitcher in Baseball). Everyone respects my computer finesse and knowledge. Also I'm pretty small, I took MMA for 4 years and no one takes me serious when it comes to fighting, its ridiculous and I also don't have that much muscle which everyone judges but I'm much stronger than I look. I am 5' 3" and 120lbs and I'm super lazy, I have to admit I love my metabolism. I also wear glasses too so that makes my vision pretty bad.

Project Restomod (In progress)

problems are been not enough money to build all the awesome computer rigs and designs i have in my head but its all about time and money. always upgrading my current rig cos i like to make it nice and love recieving new components in boxes.

got to love Asus components

I don't know, I'm just a normal person that likes to spend time gaming/building PCs..... I never knew there were problems.....

Bad vision is not caused by reading or staring at a screen. Pretty much all doctors will agree that while focusing on something close to your face for too long can cause eyestrain, but it will not cause permanent damage.

Your vision being bad is because of your genes, not reading or gaming.

Actually, bad vision comes from not using your eye muscles enough. I did a test to improve my eyesight and it worked, my eyesight 'improved'.... that came out of my eye doctor's mouth.

(IDK wut to call an 'eye doctor', and I'm too lazy to google it)

Well after seeing some people say that computers do not cause bad vision , I went to read it up. Unfortunately I could not find anything solid , and found a lot of different answers. But this reminds me of something @LinusTech mentioned in a WAN show a few weeks ago. It's about an iPad app that claims to improve eyesight . It's call ' ultimeyes 'and I think he said that he will try it out and report the results in a future WAN show .http://ultimeyesvision.com. It's the march 7th WAN show ,http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/124821-march-7th-2014-the-wan-show-document/. Anyone tried it ?

Asthma doesn't make you "unfit" I had Asthma and went over it by just training, doing sports and not by being inside my house all year long.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I found the more exercise I did, the less of a problem asthma was for me. Even so, I only have it mildly, I only feel it when I go running and push myself. Trouble is, I won't feel it until I stop. I can run and run and run but as soon as I stop my chest just collapses :P

Laziness and lack of motivation is probably the reason I'm unfit, more or less.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on