It's 2021 and I'm still emailing photos to myself to download them on my desktop quickly...What's a better way?

Astroflash

Don't know if I'm the only person who does this but there must be a better way? (Android->Windows)

google photo automatically backs up your photos from your phone.. just login to your google account and go to photos and they will be there.. waiting.. on your desktop.. no need to email yourself. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Cloud storage :) One drive, google drive, dropbox etc.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Whatsapp yourself  someone and download it with WA desktop.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 minutes ago, Astroflash said:

there must be a better way?

The better way is just plugin the USB cable to your device, set it to "file transfer", and then pull the pictures off like any other external drive. You don't need apps, or or clouds, or anything else.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

Just now, The1Dickens said:

The better way is just plugin the USB cable to your device, set it to "file transfer", and then pull the pictures off like any other external drive. You don't need apps, or or clouds, or anything else.

I think that kind of contradicts the "it's 2021" part 😛

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

snapdrop.com. Best website for quick file transfers. I use it all the time. It's basically airdrop, but it works on anything that has internet access. It even has the ability to download the site as a web app through google chrome (and maybe other browsers) on your phone and PC if you don't like manually going to the site every time.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I think that kind of contradicts the "it's 2021" part 😛

Yeh, I guess you're right... ommigawsh, does that make me a boomer now?? 👴 Why, back in my day, we had to use an actual CAMERA to take photographs... and then we had to wait an hour to have them developed!

I guess it's also noteworthy to mention what the pics are being used for. I know we started using Confluence at work, and with the phone app, you can add take pics directly from the app, so we can document drop tests, tear downs, etc., on the fly...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

https://github.com/canton7/SyncTrayzor

with

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nutomic.syncthingandroid

Seamless and no third party involved. Have several PCs and mobile devices all sharing various sets of shares, always works perfect.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

much more reliable though, even if it's a bit more of a fuss than connecting to gdrive. Eventually, when google decides they're just not gonna support yet another one of their products, you're gonna be left stranded. There are of course ways to mitigate this and while it is highly unlikely google is just gonna abandon gdrive, I have zero faith in them as they've proven time and again they're neglectful towards their own creations.

Sure- but cloud services aren't the only option though. A shared network folder solution could easily be set up for this

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Whatsapp yourself  someone and download it with WA desktop.

Whatsapp compresses images alot.

I used to have issues when sending pictures with small text because my boss would complain that im not taking clear pictures but i could see them without issue.

33 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

And give the phone permission to file transfer...

I was doing this a couple years back when I broke the microUSB port on my phone and file transfers stopped working.

A better solution I came up with was hosting a SFTP server in a LXC Container using a Ubuntu Server distribution of GNU/Linux and an app for Android I found in the Google Play store called Turbo Client.

It supports Public/Private Key Authentication and can be used over a Client-to-Site VPN for even more security if you're away from home. This has allowed me to upload/download as many images as I need to the server then I just access them from my desktop over a SMB share.

If the photos are located on a microSD card, I would recommend pulling it and plugging it into a computer with a SD card reader.

If the photos are located in the internal storage, I would recommend plugging the phone into a computer with a quality cable and instead of selecting "file transfer", select "PTP".

"File transfer" is truly terrible and known to time out on me before it can successfully finishing copying a batch of files from my phone to my computer.