Require country selection on sign up

pythonmegapixel

One of the most important pieces of information anyone can provide when asking for help buying something is which country they're in so we can look at what prices are like in their area.

Often new users don't realise this; they are perfectly happy to tell us their country but it never occurs to them. So could we have a drop down menu during the signup procedure which requires the user to select their country before they can proceed, and then the location field on their profile can be automatically set to that? There could be a "prefer not to say" option at the bottom of the list for people who genuinely aren't comfortable with sharing that information.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

9 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

option at the bottom of the list

Top of the list.

Most people won't otherwise see it, get immediately mad, log onto Twitter, and complain to Linus about it.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

While you would see it as beneficial, for others telling their location to everyone is not as easy. So like gender, age and other personal details, I think this should remain voluntary in future also.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

One of the most important pieces of information anyone can provide when asking for help buying something is which country they're in so we can look at what prices are like in their area.

Often new users don't realize this; they are perfectly happy to tell us their country but it never occurs to them. So could we have a drop down menu during the signup procedure which requires the user to select their country before they can proceed, and then the location field on their profile can be automatically set to that? There could be a "prefer not to say" option at the bottom of the list for people who genuinely aren't comfortable with sharing that information.

IMO it's unnecessary, if people want to volunteer the information, they already can.

Also, making it a drop down list would prevent people from putting a city or other rather than simply a country.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

This is one of those things that sounds like a solution to a minor issue, but ends up being more of a burden.

Over these years, I've found that location is not important at all in 99% of all cases where you're giving advice.

The market over the world isn't that different that you need to know the location of the OP. I also think this would be encroaching on user's privacy, with no clear benefit, only scaring off new users.

I think it's entirely irrelevant to ask people for their location unless you have done two to three recommendations of parts and have been told "I can't get that where I live". At that point, it's helpful to know the website they'll be buying from and their budget in their currency. But those are the exception, not the rule.

This is a sort of shotgun approach to these rare exceptions. Make everyone put in their location, just for those couple exceptions you might need it.

It makes sense that location has been added to the New Builds and Planning sub forum, but even then it's not always necessary. People are free to not give their location, in trade needing to find local alternatives to what we've suggested.

But that's just my opinion, on something I feel we don't need. Feel free to disagree.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I can typically tell location by username/PFP/use of english language (round-a-bouts enough to know to ask Country)

I think @Den-Fi nailed it.

Oh and this is the first time I have tried dark theme.  Its nice.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

This is like using a nuke to kill a cockroach and accidentally blowing up the whole neighborhood.

IMO it will make many new users uncomfortable with signing up to the fourm.

13 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Oh and this is the first time I have tried dark theme.  Its nice

Welcome to dark mode elitist gang.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

2 hours ago, minibois said:

The market over the world isn't that different that you need to know the location of the OP.

That's entirely untrue, new and especially used markets can highly vary between countries both in pricing and availability, not to mention the different economies where something as little as 20$ can mean a lot more considering average salaries in some countries.

33 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That's entirely untrue, new and especially used markets can highly vary between countries both in pricing and availability, not to mention the different economies where something as little as 20$ can mean a lot more considering average salaries in some countries.

The only part I've had issues with availability has been power supplies. That is usually fixed by a simple:
OP: "Oh I can't get that PSU/it's super expensive"
Me: "What website will you be buying from and what is your budget in your local currency?"

OP: "Site link, x amount of currency"
Me: "Get this: link"

I don't see why we have to take a shotgun approach for specifically this.

Things like pricing on AMD vs. Intel/Radeon vs. Nvidia may be different across regions, but up to the OP to call this out. Even if everyone had their location (accurately) listed on their profile, most people will miss that anyways, defeating the point entirely.

Used market will vary within a country, especially in larger countries like the USA and Canada. It's impossible to give an accurate advice for something as complex as that.

This forum isn't about spoonfeeding answers anyways, it's about pointing people in the right direction to know what's possible.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I agree with a lot of people on this. Maybe a dropdown thats like this:

image.png.2ca088c4cec14e48ddb477a1f2bdae7e.png

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler