When is a camera considered professional?

Hi there, 

For school I have to do this big project.

My main question is: Could you make a professional movie with a mobile phone?

My sub-questions are;  

• What requirements must a professional film meet?
  • What external accessories for the phone are required to meet the requirements?
  • Is the amount of material that has to be carried for the mobile phone an obstacle?

I've been struggling for hours now to find what requirements a professional film has to meet, but the only thing I've found so far is that Netflix needs you to have a true 4k sensor (≤ 4096 photosites wide) and some recording formate (see picture)

(picture is a screenshot of a YouTube video, cause the link to the Netflix site doesn't work anymore) 

Can you guys help me out with the requirements a professional film has to meet??

Thanks a lot.

P.S. Could you also leave your source, I have to make a source list at the end 😅

Screenshot 2021-01-03 at 22.31.18.png

Yes you can. there are projects on netflix shot on iPhone.

whats often more important for a film is audio and whats being filmed.
plenty of stuff is shot on old HD cameras but because it has good sound and story telling it hold up.

Now most modern films are shot at 2-6k if they are digital. Some that have lots of VFX will be shot at 8k.

typically 17:9 or more widescreen format like 2.5:1 (17.5:7) is standard.

netflixes 240mbps has some issues. they assume a non interaframe compression in with interframe in say H265/H264 you can get away with around 150mbps for a 4k 24 signal

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

You totally can make a feature film on a phone and it's been done with lesser known movies and indie films before. Other movies have used handicams and whatnot to film big parts.

The requirements are totally your own a movie is a piece of art so be as creative as you want.

Nothing extra is needed for a phone sure you can get a stabilizer, a zoom lens,... but really a decent quality camera is good enough

If you get a phone with enough storage/expandable storage and offload the footage from time to time then no issue

What it really comes down to is the tools don't make the maker. Sure you can have a red 12k super duper ultra camera but if your movie is a boring crappily shot movie then it doesn't matter it's nice and crisp looking. Your movie will only be as good as you can make it. Sure better tools will help but in the end it's your skill that makes it not the tools you are using.

A professional film has nothing to meet as it's all about art. The only thing a film technically has to meet is length but there are many sub classes like shortflim, feature film,... so really there are no requirements at all. It's art and art by nature is up to the beholder.

The netflix thing is basically them wanting a standardization of image quality and they also want everything in 4k so people buy their 4k plan that is all there is behind it. People have cheated the system there many times by only have a 1080p final cut (or a wacky resolution) and then either making the 1080p version look a little worse by making the final export at 1600*900 and upscaling it to 1080p and then putting the actual 1080p (or wacky higher resolution that isn't 4k) and upscaling it to 4k to meet the netflix requirements.

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

The netflix thing is basically them wanting a standardization of image quality and they also want everything in 4k so people buy their 4k plan that is all there is behind it. People have cheated the system there many times by only have a 1080p final cut (or a wacky resolution) and then either making the 1080p version look a little worse by making the final export at 1600*900 and upscaling it to 1080p and then putting the actual 1080p (or wacky higher resolution that isn't 4k) and upscaling it to 4k to meet the netflix requirements.

thats only if it is made by netflix if they buy it they don't care.
And if they make it they will make sure it isn't some fake 4k, they've got a short list of gear and lots of requirements

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

9 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

whats often more important for a film is audio and whats being filmed

I'd also count well-setup lighting there. Good lighting can make a world of a difference!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If you intend to, and are making money with your film, by definition, it is a professional project. Unsure if your teacher would appreciate the impromptu refresher on vocabulary though. Could backfire pretty badly, though in fairness, instructions are legitimately unclear, so the literal route could work. 

Platforms that you wish to host your video to may have quality standards that goes beyond resolution,  though that is a different subject. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

as stated i really also think that at the current state, yes a professional film can be made with the phone camera, some might even use it in scenes to create a "dogma" stile delivery...

although the limitations is there, unless you do begin to use actual lenses that kan create the "BOKEH" movies, of having blurred backgrounds  and so on.

I remember the early days in Denmark, when the "dogme" movie was done, where focus was on the actual storyline, and removal from "cinematics" and the trickery of good equipment and special effects, it created a different closeness to the characters.. and i am no just talking "shaky camera" and low light enviroments, with ISO graining..

Those are some pretty vague questions.

10 hours ago, Moerino said:

Depends on what type of movie you are trying to make. Some types of movies can most certainly be filmed using a smartphone camera.

A documentary or found footage movie? I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a smartphone for that. The next Avengers movie? That would not really work on a smartphone because the audience experts a certain look and feel which can't be replicated without cinema cameras.

Paranormal Activity for example was shot with a 2006-era camcorder. I wouldn't be surprised if modern smartphones has image quality that matches or exceeds that.

The Blair Witch Project was filmed on a Digital8 camera from 1999. Again, wouldn't be surprised if a modern smartphone has better technical capabilities than that.

• What requirements must a professional film meet?

Depends on the movie being filmed. There is no checklist like the one you are trying to find. You can't just say "it has this resolution and this dynamic range so therefore it is a professional camera". 

• What external accessories for the phone are required to meet the requirements?

Again, depends on the movie you are making. Some stabilization (like a gimbal), a tripod for static shots, external microphone (does not have to be connected to the camera), lighting, etc. Those things are good to have but depending on the project might not be necessary.

• Is the amount of material that has to be carried for the mobile phone an obstacle?

No? I mean, you don't really require more things when shooting on a phone than you do with any other camera. If anything, shooting on a smartphone makes it so that you have to carry less stuff.

there has been a number of feature films shot on phones.

Netflix is hardly the authority on what is considered a "professional" film.

If the question is purely "can you make a professional movie with a mobile phone?" then the answer is yes, all of the below films were shot on an iphone

1. Unsane

2. Tangerine

3. Romance in NYC

4. I Play With the Phrase Each Other

5. And Uneasy Lies the Mind

6. Night Fishing

7. Detour

8. Dancers of New York

9. Made in Paris

10. The Painter of Jalouzi

11. Snow Steam Iron

12. Searching for Sugar Man

13. 9 Rides

14. High Flying Bird

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Phones do okay but even old cine cameras like ARRI alexa Classics, FS700R (especially with an external recorder) C100 look better than iphones.

12 hours ago, Moerino said:

Any camera used for a professional movie is a professional camera.

You could get some screenshots or small parts of a movie and also some photos/small videos of a mobile phone camera and then ask participants: "Do you think this screenshot/video clip could appear in a Hollywood movie?"

Taking steps back, a professional movie can be made with a mobile phone, if people are happy with the result of this camera. That would probably be the most important part.

It's just that professional cameras can record RAW for example, which allows for much more detail in color correction.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The world "professional" is vague at best. Sure, with creativity you can create great video on a mobile phone. But as for "professional", it really depends on application. What do you define as "professional"? You need to narrow down your scope to better find an answer.

• What requirements must a professional film meet?

Very difficult question to answer, because different organisations have different requirements for video work. 

• What external accessories for the phone are required to meet the requirements?

Besides the phone, firstly I would get a gimbal. A shaky mess is generally not pleasant (unless you are going for Jason Bourne series style of videography and even that is polarising), gimbal would help to smooth out the motion. 

Secondly, you need an external microphone, you can either go with a boom mic or a lav mic you get your actors to wear. Sound is easily the weakest part of videoing on a phone. Getting a separate mic would elevate the quality greatly. You need a clapping board too, the sharp sound from clapping the board is meant to sync audio with external sources in post production. 

Gimbal, not really, but getting an external audio source means you likely need another person to help you on just working on sound. 

Current PC
Intel i5-4690k (4.5GHz at 1.25V), MSI H97 PC Mate (which I somehow got it to overclock) 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Transcend SSD370 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 3TB, HP 1270i 22x DVD Drive, Palit GTX970 Jetstream, Andyson F500m, Lancool K62, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell U2414H, Logitech Z103, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Steelseries Kinzu V2, Sennheiser HD600 with Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/Amp

Considering: AMD Ryzen 5000 system

Current Photography setup

Pentax K-1, Pentax K-5, Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 Aspherical, Tokina 28-80mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Pentax DA 50 f1.8, Yongnuo YN585EX

comment on wrong psot

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

Now to answer the question in the title, what makes a camera professional? If I were to expand this question, it would be "what is the differences between videos taken in a professional camera and an iPhone" 

There are a lot of differences, some of which are pretty significant. It is very similar when it comes to photography as well. 

Bitrate and codec - Professional cameras capture at a much higher bitrate. iPhone tops out at 46MBps. Bitrate matters when capturing fast movements. If let's say you are taking video in extreme slow, the iPhone is more likely to struggle in terms of capturing all the detail. In addition, codecs matter too. iPhone uses high efficiency H.265 format. Higher efficiency means they can cram more resolution for a given bit rate. However, this comes at a cost, where you will lose detail in fast pace sequences, as the H265 codec looks at the video at tries to match the portions of the image by a pixel or two.

Dynamic range - It is basically the difference between the darkest part of the image and the lightest parts. A large dynamic range is favoured by professional filmmakers and photographers. It allows for adjusting color and exposure during post production, and allow you to pull detail from shadows and highlights. Professional cameras shine here, they have larger dynamic range, and gives huge advantage in editing post production. A phone usually has a lower dynamic range, though some of the phones have pretty decent dynamic range all things considered. 

Noise - It is mainly how much noise is there in very dark situations. This is where you can't really run away from physics. Professional cameras like Red have a huge sensor (Red Epic W has a Super 35 sensor, capturing 8k footage and 35.4 megapixels, about the resolution of my Pentax K-1), resulting in more light hitting the sensor per unit area. In contrast, iPhone has a much smaller sensor, this means less light and noisier images. To compensate, the iPhone does try to process noise duriing video shooting. 

For more video, here is a video from Corridor Crew comparing their Red Epic W with an iPhone X. 

Current PC
Intel i5-4690k (4.5GHz at 1.25V), MSI H97 PC Mate (which I somehow got it to overclock) 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Transcend SSD370 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 3TB, HP 1270i 22x DVD Drive, Palit GTX970 Jetstream, Andyson F500m, Lancool K62, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell U2414H, Logitech Z103, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Steelseries Kinzu V2, Sennheiser HD600 with Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/Amp

Considering: AMD Ryzen 5000 system

Current Photography setup

Pentax K-1, Pentax K-5, Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 Aspherical, Tokina 28-80mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Pentax DA 50 f1.8, Yongnuo YN585EX

This thread reminded me of a movie that was shot on a Nokia N8. I've never watched it but I read about it some years ago.

https://www.slashgear.com/nokia-n8-filmed-feature-film-olive-hits-theaters-this-month-02199622/

Intel Core i9-10900X, Asus TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2TB SN570, 8TB HDD, DC Assassin III, Meshify 2

Old PC: Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 1TB Crucial MX500

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus RX 470 Strix, 1TB & 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 2TB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Laptop 2: ThinkPad T450, Intel Core i7-5600U 2c/4t @ 2.6-3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel HD 5500, 250GB SSD, 14" 900p TN, 24Wh + 72Wh batteries

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 3.07-3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB & 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Laptop: Latitude 3380, Intel Pentium Gold 4415U 2c/4t @ 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD 610, 120GB SSD, 13.3" 768p TN, 56Wh battery

1 hour ago, Pasi123 said:

This thread reminded me of a movie that was shot on a Nokia N8. I've never watched it but I read about it some years ago.

https://www.slashgear.com/nokia-n8-filmed-feature-film-olive-hits-theaters-this-month-02199622/

this trailer looks like it was made somewhere in the 80s or 90s like some cheap HBO home video

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects