Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

That 3d database sounds pretty exciting to me. I Like messing around in sketchup and blender and i think it'd be pretty cool to have this sub community specifically aimed at renders etc

My Build log of the Satan's Cave PC Desk Project is starting to get in action! Come check it out if you feel like it  :) 

Basically you mean something like this?

Yeah that would be really helpful, although it would need a bit more structure than the Bit-Tech one. The problem there was that although many of the models were on the repository site, it still had to be managed by one individual. Eventually he said that he wouldn't be able to continue anymore, which made things problematic. Also, because it was primarily a sketchup database, you couldn't upload files from other programs.

Perhaps a good way of managing it would be a google form of sorts? Then it can be easily sorted and expanded and curatorship easily passed on to other people. For small files <2mb you could upload to LTT and then link the post in the form, larger files like the ones I posted would simply be hosted externally and linked in the same way. Then you just add categories for things like file type, software package and part type.

That way you have an easy to manage file repository that can be quickly sorted, at the same time, the users can submit their own models meaning mods/staff don't need to lift a finger. Certainly sounds doable enough, would be similar to how some sites rank benchmark results (Blenderartists did this very well for CUDA rendering results so people could see what GPUs were worth buying).

I'll set it up. I'll create a new google account to "own" the google drive folder, and then I'll make it public and give myself and others upload privileges. that way when I want to move on I can just give the email and password to the next curator. there will be sub-folders to organize the files by type

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Basically you mean something like this?

Yeah that would be really helpful, although it would need a bit more structure than the Bit-Tech one. The problem there was that although many of the models were on the repository site, it still had to be managed by one individual. Eventually he said that he wouldn't be able to continue anymore, which made things problematic. Also, because it was primarily a sketchup database, you couldn't upload files from other programs.

Perhaps a good way of managing it would be a google form of sorts? Then it can be easily sorted and expanded and curatorship easily passed on to other people. For small files <2mb you could upload to LTT and then link the post in the form, larger files like the ones I posted would simply be hosted externally and linked in the same way. Then you just add categories for things like file type, software package and part type.

That way you have an easy to manage file repository that can be quickly sorted, at the same time, the users can submit their own models meaning mods/staff don't need to lift a finger. Certainly sounds doable enough, would be similar to how some sites rank benchmark results (Blenderartists did this very well for CUDA rendering results so people could see what GPUs were worth buying).

That 3d database sounds pretty exciting to me. I Like messing around in sketchup and blender and i think it'd be pretty cool to have this sub community specifically aimed at renders etc

I could model a few parts but it's hard to get good schematics and drawings. Usually only a few/key dimensions are marked. And I don't feel like taking apart my compooper.

If you're working in CAD based programs it's not hard to resize some distances or dimensions (like Solidworks or Inventor)

I like doing things like these but it's usually easier if you have the part in your hands and you can measure everything.

I've some 180mm alphacool rads I did yesterday if anyone's interested.

If someone makes a "share your PC part models" topic please let me know.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/220864-ltt-models-archive/

made the thread.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

If I had money I would pay you to teach me how to model 

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

If I had money I would pay you to teach me how to model 

youtube and practice. don't need to pay anyone for help, it's freely available.

Daily Driver:

Well after reading your thread, I've started working with inventor trying to mock up a mITX cube case that is as compact as possible while still having enough space for a 240mm Radiator, ATX PSU, and a GTX980. It might actually have space for two radiators, but I won't know till I get everything made. Right now all I have completed is a side panel and a window for the side panel. I just need to figure out how to take the two parts and start adding them to an assembly. Thanks for the inspiration.

I should add, that I really know next to nothing about Inventor, but since I was able to get the student edition, I might as well start learning, right?!

Well after reading your thread, I've started working with inventor trying to mock up a mITX cube case that is as compact as possible while still having enough space for a 240mm Radiator, ATX PSU, and a GTX980. It might actually have space for two radiators, but I won't know till I get everything made. Right now all I have completed is a side panel and a window for the side panel. I just need to figure out how to take the two parts and start adding them to an assembly. Thanks for the inspiration.

I should add, that I really know next to nothing about Inventor, but since I was able to get the student edition, I might as well start learning, right?!

exactly, why not learn?

as for attaching them in an assembly, use constraints and joints. I'm personally not sure which one is better, but because inventor can calculate movement properties, I'm sure it has something to do with that. watch the tutorial videos, and it becomes a lot easier. I started using inventor about a month ago, and I remember distinctly that helping quite a bit. this is what I just finished last night: http://imgur.com/a/isApV

Daily Driver:

Take a look at Inventor's sheet metal properties and tools could be really helpful

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

Thanks for the models, I'll use part of them as a reference or so in my own PC design!

Also, is there a 3D model "database" topic on LTT? There should be where everyone could share their parts.

Looking forward to the new "block".

I would love for this to be a thing. Rear IO is the hardest thing to get right, and while I think I've got it, I would really appreciate knowing it was. once I've got it down pat I'll upload my rear IO and mobo tray  models. I would expect that other people would be altering them for their own uses.

I was actually thinking the same thing, and made a comment to Maki Role a few pages back about this. I am actually a web developer, and I am seriously thinking about getting to work on setting something like this up where people can submit Inventor or Sketchup files of components. There would have to be some sort of verification process so that dimensions would be reliable, and I am not sure how that would work, but its definitely an idea I have floating around in starting. I don't think it would have huge traffic or anything, but I think it could be an invaluable source for modders. 

I myself am currently designing a desk with 2 integrated PC's. When I started looking for exact dimensions I realized how hard it was to find certain things, and I think a website that conglomerated this information in an easy to find way, with parts models would be awesome. So I may just have to make it.

I'm eagerly waiting for the next installment  :D I've also fooled around with inventor quite a bit and came up with this. I used all the measurements for the swiftech radiator off their site to model it and it should be pretty accurate. It is a very snug fit in the case I'm working on; touching each side panel.  Only problem I'm having is running tubing in Inventor. I can't figure it out at all.

Very nice build. And may I say your renders are beautiful. It actually inspired me to build my own wall mounted pc. I'm debating whether on using wood or acrylic. About how much did the piece of acrylic cost you? @Maki Role

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I'm eagerly waiting for the next installment  :D I've also fooled around with inventor quite a bit and came up with this. I used all the measurements for the swiftech radiator off their site to model it and it should be pretty accurate. It is a very snug fit in the case I'm working on; touching each side panel.  Only problem I'm having is running tubing in Inventor. I can't figure it out at all.

Yeah the tubing stumped me too. There is actually a specific tool for handling plumbing and wiring, but I couldn't be arsed to learn how to use it. Just made the tubing in Blender instead with bezier curve extruded cylinders.

Very nice build. And may I say your renders are beautiful. It actually inspired me to build my own wall mounted pc. I'm debating whether on using wood or acrylic. About how much did the piece of acrylic cost you? @Maki Role

Thanks! Seems that wall mounts are the in thing right now, what with LianLi's recent announcements etc. The Acrylic itself wasn't particularly costly, something like £60 or so, the machining was the pricier part, but even that wasn't unreasonable at around £200. I'd say it depends on what look you're going for. I only used acrylic so I could have milled interior channels. If I were only using tubing and an external res I'd have gone with either ply or and aluminium plate.

Sort of update

Whilst not a big update, I managed to find the time the other day to hook everything together in a makeshift loop to see if things would work properly. Sure enough, it all went smoothly, every component works fine, which was a huge relief. I wanted to post this yesterday, but I had to pop off to Belgium for a bit, back now and stocked up on confit from the supermarket (just can't get the stuff over here, takes too long to make too) and Neuhaus.

Bit of a Frankenstein's PC right now, just put things together with spares that I had lying around. Worked well enough, although having a reservoir around to help with bleeding would have been good.

eYkQnz.jpg

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

-snip-

I just noticed that the cooling fan for the PSU was gold. I must have missed that, but still, it looks fabulous. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Nope he custom painted it

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

exactly, why not learn?

as for attaching them in an assembly, use constraints and joints. I'm personally not sure which one is better, but because inventor can calculate movement properties, I'm sure it has something to do with that. watch the tutorial videos, and it becomes a lot easier. I started using inventor about a month ago, and I remember distinctly that helping quite a bit. this is what I just finished last night: http://imgur.com/a/isApV

Joints are better for things that involves movement between 2 components. Constraints are better for permanently joining things in fancy ways. I personally prefer joints because they are easier to deal with.

Anything that looks custom was done after purchase. IIRC, he painted the SSD and the PSU fan, the bars on the RAM, etc etc

Must've been quite the relief finding out all the components still worked... Did you get a chance to test them before you left for Belgium, or were you in doubt for the entire trip? If so, that must've been a bastard  :)

HOLY SH*T !

THIS BUILD IS JUST AWESOME ! Srlsy tho, i just love how you pay attention to detail, this gold PSU fan, this SSD (etc..) and DAAAMN those ram are super sexy, you are a genius sir, i applaud you.

Subbed by the way. :)

Yeah the tubing stumped me too. There is actually a specific tool for handling plumbing and wiring, but I couldn't be arsed to learn how to use it. Just made the tubing in Blender instead with bezier curve extruded cylinders.

Thanks! Seems that wall mounts are the in thing right now, what with LianLi's recent announcements etc. The Acrylic itself wasn't particularly costly, something like £60 or so, the machining was the pricier part, but even that wasn't unreasonable at around £200. I'd say it depends on what look you're going for. I only used acrylic so I could have milled interior channels. If I were only using tubing and an external res I'd have gone with either ply or and aluminium plate.

I've just about given up hope on making tubing runs in Inventor. I have succesfully made routes with some issues. The biggest being that it wants to autoroute the tubing and It really likes to run through objects (you name a part and I've probably had it route through it). I can't figure out how to edit the nodes yet (getting close though) without it adding more tubing. I think part of the problem is that I need to define the size of the tubing and the radius of the turns, but I haven't figured it out yet. If I do I'll have to let people know.

Joints are better for things that involves movement between 2 components. Constraints are better for permanently joining things in fancy ways. I personally prefer joints because they are easier to deal with.

I haven't used any joints in my project. I've been using constraints exclusively. All you need is a constraint for each plane and then it won't move :)  I've also found that if you make changes to a part (my i/o on the rear panel being the most obvious) it automatically updates in the assembly and it moves the mobo since it is mated to the cutout. Assuming I actually do try building this case from scratch, I'll definitely be giving a lot of props to @Maki Role  What you have done here is nothing short of amazing in my book and I'm looking forward to the finished pics  :D

• 2 weeks later...