how often do you think potential employers discriminate against candidates?

PurplDrank

There's a difference between active discrimination and unconscious bias although the practical outcome is very similar.

Depending on your country the former will be protected to some extent in law. The latter will very much depend on the person sitting across the table from you and the culture of the company and as such is a crap shoot. 

1 hour ago, PurplDrank said:

I believe I have virtually made my resume discrimination proof. 

The only thing on a resume that can be used for discrimination is your name. You don't need to put the age, gender, race or anything like that. So it ain't that hard to do so, unless you have a name that's pretty much unique to a particular culture. Not many white women are called "Aaliyah", for example. 

Personally, in all my jobs thus far, there hasn't been discrimination from employers, related to race or gender. We were pretty much all treated equal if you did good work. Except, while I don't personally view it as discrimination, when I worked in a shipping warehouse, women and elderlies were typically getting "lighter" workload compared to the younger men. So there's that?

Other than that, never heard my bosses say anything discriminatory while I was around. The best boss I've had came from Port au Prince, he would always hype everyone up, take care of everyone, if he saw someone looking "bad", he would reach out right away, help a bit while you took a short break or put you on a different job for the day and what not. Good bosses are few and far between.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

The only thing on a resume that can be used for discrimination is your name. You don't need to put the age, gender, race or anything like that. So it ain't that hard to do so, unless you have a name that's pretty much unique to a particular culture. Not many white women are called "Aaliyah", for example. 

Personally, in all my jobs thus far, there hasn't been discrimination from employers, related to race or gender. We were pretty much all treated equal if you did good work. Except, while I don't personally view it as discrimination, when I worked in a shipping warehouse, women and elderlies were typically getting "lighter" workload compared to the younger men. So there's that?

Other than that, never heard my bosses say anything discriminatory while I was around. The best boss I've had came from Port au Prince, he would always hype everyone up, take care of everyone, if he saw someone looking "bad", he would reach out right away, help a bit while you took a short break or put you on a different job for the day and what not. Good bosses are few and far between.

this is not true. Say for example if you have dates or the specific year you worked for a said company. Example, my mom has on her resume she worked for Chevrolet for 10 years up until 2005. You could roughly imagine what someone's age would be if she had those dates on there. So to say that age discrimination cannot happen from a resume is false. Also, an employer could've had bad experiences with potential employees whom live farther away and always show up late because of traffic. So they could distance discriminate as well. There is also education discrimination. I am graduating in 4 months. Why would someone want to take the time to train me and hire me when I'll end up leaving in 4 months? 

I knew managers who searched the mobile number on the CV on Facebook and found the employee's account and just hired the prettiest girl.

Discrimination happens a lot, people just don't know about it. In the UK employers also like to discriminate based on your post code since there are posh post codes and of course poor post codes where poorer households live.

11 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

Also, an employer could've had bad experiences with potential employees whom live farther away and always show up late because of traffic. So they could distance discriminate as well. 

I don't know about you, but I don't put my address on a resume.

Nor should you need to.

As for the age thing... Honestly, after 10 odd years has past (and you've worked multiple jobs), I wouldn't even include the older jobs on my resume, or at least I would maybe just put the mention "and more" and that's that, nothing else other than the most recent jobs. It gives something extra to talk to in the interview if they really care enough to know what you previous did that long ago (they usually don't). It's been 10+ years. By that point, anything you may have learnt there, is either long gone or you've been using it as part of another, more recent job. You're an entirely new person as well, atomically (every atom in the body is replaced in 7 years time). That is, unless it's a job in the same field and you don't have anything more recent, in which case it might be fine to add it.

Also, it allows for a shorter resume for a quicker read by potential recruiters, instead of having to send out like 3 or 4+ pages worth of previous jobs... I've seen my aunt do that, she didn't get many calls until she shortened it up.

It's like putting that you've delivered newspaper before when you were 15 on your resume, when you're 40. Like... Come on. 

9 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I knew managers who searched the mobile number on the CV on Facebook and found the employee's account and just hired the prettiest girl.

Oof... I can totally see that happening... Not enough people go through their privacy settings and make disallow search by phone number...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

knew managers who searched the mobile number on the CV on Facebook and found the employee's account and just hired the prettiest girl.

Depending on country/ state, that could be illegal. I know a few US states do t allow employers access to social media for hiring. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well, for starters employers have the right to discriminate on the basis of credentials and academic performance. A person who just finished college with an internship being the only working experience, cannot expect a managerial position in a multinational company. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Depending on country/ state, that could be illegal. I know a few US states do t allow employers access to social media for hiring. 

Haha well good luck trying to prove that.

11 hours ago, PurplDrank said:

Also, an employer could've had bad experiences with potential employees whom live farther away and always show up late because of traffic. So they could distance discriminate as well. There is also education discrimination. I am graduating in 4 months. Why would someone want to take the time to train me and hire me when I'll end up leaving in 4 months?

Well there comes a point where you have to draw the line between discrimination and just picking the candidate with that'll do the best for your company.

If you carry on like that you'd also not be able to hire someone with a better degree, because you're discriminating on intelligence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against all forms of discrimination, but you have to keep in mind that discrimination (in this context) means treating people differently with no good reason. If there is a good reason to prefer one canditate over another, then it's not discrimination. If you apply for a job at an assembly line but you have no arms, and get rejected, that sucks. But it's not discrimination, there's a pretty valid reason why you're not the best candidate. 

Ok that was a bit of an extreme example and it may sound a bit too harsh, but I guess my point is just that not everything is discrimination. Someone living 50 miles away can be (depending on the situation of course) a reason not to hire them if there's someone else with the exact same credentials living just around the corner for instance.

Bias will always exist.  So yes, there will always be bias, and I do not agree that all bias is discrimination. 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

It's splitting hairs to say discrimination out bias when hiring someone.

I sit on a few interview boards and I'll tell you what, discrimination/bias happens. When you are hiring someone that will be personally interacting with your customers, you are going to be picky.

Is it discrimination to not hire the minority that can't speak English well enough to convey what they are saying?  

I don't care who you are, if you say aks instead of ask every time, i won't recommend you.  If you lie about your resume, i won't recommend you.

If you show up to an interview in jeans and a tshirt, i won't recommend you.

Once you sit in the interviewers chair, you will develop biases and by definition have to discriminate candidates based on what's best for the company.

Saying that, if you think discrimination only happens by one race, you would be wholly wrong.  I know several people that were passed on because they were white and the government agency had to make it's quota on minority hires. 

So in a sense, there is discrimination in hiring practices in the US and they are completely legal if done in one direction but not the other. (that isn't political, it's fact of law). 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

Depends. Countries are now putting laws across that force employers to fill check boxes rather than employ the best person for the job therefore are encouraging discrimination by trying to force people into being “inclusive”. 

I hope you paid for that bread.

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

Haha well good luck trying to prove that.

Well if you lock down your Facebook tighter than a snare drum they can’t see any info. They can’t compel you to unlock it. Linked In allows you to see who browse your profile. Also due to a Federal court case they really can’t fire you based on Facebook posts. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.