Is it just me, or is the 3060Ti underwhelming?

JefeB
Has anyone else found the 3060Ti to be underwhelming? I upgraded from a 2080S and aside from aesthetics (went from Aorus to MSI) there's hardly a noticeable difference, and the empirical performance is *meh* at best. I live around the corner from MicroCenter and even with early morning lines, after three tries the 3060 was all I could get. I'm considering returning it or selling it and waiting out the demand/stock disparity to get a 3080 or 3080 Ti.

Am I just experiencing buyer's remorse or does anyone else feel the same?

You "upgraded" from a 2080 SUPER to a 3060Ti?

Eh... I hate to break it to you...

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, JefeB said:

there's hardly a noticeable difference

upgraded from a 2080S

I'm sorry what?

Those cards are nearly identical in performance across every testing suite I've seen, no wonder you're not seeing any improvement. Did you have a look at any reviews of the card before you went to buy?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, JefeB said:

I upgraded from a 2080S and aside from aesthetics (went from Aorus to MSI) there's hardly a noticeable difference

That's the point. It's 2080S performance for $399. It's an awesome value, but why would you upgrade to a 3060 Ti from a 2080S?

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Best Michael Jackson Mj Bad Tour Bad 25 Bad Live Glide Slide Side GIFs |  Gfycat

Do the sidegrade slide.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

improvement. Did you have a look at any reviews of the card before you went to buy?

I did. It performs about even with the 2080Ti, which was a $1200 card, but on new architecture. I was hoping for a benchmark boost of more than 5-10%. 

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

You "upgraded" from a 2080 SUPER to a 3060Ti?

Eh... I hate to break it to you...

Yeah. When I did research, It was said to perform about even with the 2080Ti, which was a $1200 card, but on new architecture. I was hoping for a benchmark boost of more than 5-10% on the cheap.

2 minutes ago, JefeB said:

I did. It performs about even with the 2080Ti, which was a $1200 card, but on new architecture. I was hoping for a benchmark boost of more than 5-10%. 

No, the 3070 is the card that performs in the realm of the 2080 ti

Granted, there's not a very large difference in performance between the 2080 ti and super.

Also, you can multi quote if you want to use the same post for multiple users.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

That's the point. It's 2080S performance for $399. It's an awesome value, but why would you upgrade to a 3060 Ti from a 2080S?

In my research it was supposed to perform about even with the 2080Ti, which was a $1200 card, but on new architecture. I was hoping for a benchmark boost of more than 5-10%

About even.....I saw that too, and it was still behind and closer or beating on occasion to a 2080Super.

"About even" is Subjective to the reviewers... and some took that way too far.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, JefeB said:

In my research it was supposed to perform about even with the 2080Ti, which was a $1200 card, but on new architecture.

That's the 3070. The 3060 Ti does occasionally surpass the 2080 Ti, but it's more of a match for the 2080S in most cases

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

No, the 3070 is the card that performs in the realm of the 2080 ti

Live & learn. I think I got caught up in the marketing hype for the new architecture. 

Just now, JefeB said:

Live & learn. I think I got caught up in the marketing hype for the new architecture. 

You can easily sell it for MSRP though, that's what I would do. 

4 minutes ago, JefeB said:

In my research it was supposed to perform about even with the 2080Ti, which was a $1200 card, but on new architecture. I was hoping for a benchmark boost of more than 5-10%

Are you trolling?

What are you on about? What do you think "new architecture" means?

The 3060 Ti, a 400 dollar graphics card, performs as well as your old 1200 dollar graphics card because of the new architecture. 

How is this a disappointment? Also, you did look at the benchmarks before you bought it so you should know what it performs like. You are either trolling or you don't understand what "new architecture" means.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Are you trolling?

Wot

Primary PC:

6 minutes ago, JefeB said:

What do you mean? The hype is real. As Hymenopus_Coronatus said, it's 2080S performance for $399.

You just looked at benchmarks for the RTX 3070 (2080ti performance) and then bought the RTX 3060Ti (2080S performance) somehow.

2 minutes ago, Agret said:

What do you mean? The hype is real. As Hymenopus_Coronatus said, it's 2080S performance for $399.

You just looked at benchmarks for the RTX 3070 (2080ti performance) and then bought the RTX 3060Ti (2080S performance) somehow.

Yeah. I guess I was hoping for a decent boost in performance and being able to sell my 2080S while the last gen market is still selling well.

14 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Also, you can multi quote if you want to use the same post for multiple users.

Thanks. Still learning the ropes here.

3 minutes ago, Downkey said:

If your going to sell the card please be a decent human being. I would sell it for $400 - $435.

Of course! I would never stoop to the level of those disgusting scalpers. They're deplorable. 

You might not be as disappointed in the summer when it's hot out and the 3060...oh it's only 50W less TDP than the 2080 Super? Yeesh that's not a great performance/watt leap...I think you'd be OK to sell it at what you paid for it and wait a bit. You could probably sell the 2080 Super for more than it should be worth right now too, prices are crazy on the used market. Good time to be a seller, bad time to be a buyer.

yeap just sell the 2080 at high price and pretend that was your plan all along... 🤣

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, JefeB said:

Yeah. I guess I was hoping for a decent boost in performance and being able to sell my 2080S while the last gen market is still selling well.

I still don't understand why you thought the 3060 Ti would perform better than your 2080S.

You wanted to replace a high end card with a mid range card. At best it's a side grade.