Just built my first PC, with following specs:

MSI B550 Tomahawk

Ryzen 5800x

BeQuiet pure Rock 2

Gigabyte Vision Rtx 3070

Kingston KC2500 ssd

Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 3200mhz 

Cooler master Masterbox Lite 5 case with stock fans

I struggled a bit to flash the bios and make the cpu work but that's all sorted out.

Now my problem is that I feel like I'm having quite high cpu temperatures, idling and on load.

Idle temps are 38-42C with 45 spikes. When launching Epic games launcher it jumps to 55-60C

When playing games (Fortnite, Cyberpunk) it's at about 80C and stable

Cinebench D20 makes it go straight to 90C and stays there (I stopped after 2min because I didn't want to damage cpu)

I activated eco mode to get these temps because without it it's 5-6 degrees higher.

I tried turning PBO off but it did not improve temps. Is it just a cooler issue? Or are these temperatures acceptable for this cpu (I heard the 5000 series is hotter than usual)?

But is the 80C while gaming normal?

Thanks!

I have a 5800X. Those temps are very normal with less than a 280mm AIO, and are 100% safe temps for your CPU to operate at. It will have lower clock speeds when running at 90°c, as that is the PBO target temp. (and unless you're exceeding that temp, you're entirely within operating specs)

Depending on the speeds you're getting, you could even overclock it a bit without issue.

Hi everyone

MSI B550 Tomahawk

Ryzen 5800x

BeQuiet pure Rock 2

Gigabyte Vision Rtx 3070

Kingston KC2500 ssd

I struggled a bit to flash the bios and make the cpu work but that's all sorted out.

Now my problem is that I feel like I'm having quite high cpu temperatures, idling and on load.

Idle temps are 38-42C with 45 spikes. When launching Epic games launcher it jumps to 55-60C

Cinebench D20 makes it go straight to 90C and stays there (I stopped after 2min because I didn't want to damage cpu)

I activated eco mode to get these temps because without it it's 5-6 degrees higher.

I tried turning PBO off but it did not improve temps. Is it just a cooler issue? Or are these temperatures acceptable for this cpu (I heard the 5000 series is hotter than usual)?

Thanks!

80C under cyberpunk should be fine, as it's quite cpu intensive. 

90c under CB20 is a bit much, maybe check the cooler is installed correctly with sufficient thermal paste and pressure.

the case itself seems pretty bad for airflow and if you only have 1 fan (the rear exhaust one), it's likely there is little to no airflow in your case, contributing to the higher temps.

test this by removing the side panel. if temps drop by 5-10 degrees, it means your high temps are due to the case and lack of extra fans, not the cpu cooler.

high 30s low 40s is normal idles, 90c is a bit much under r20

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Did you apply too much thermal paste? Or did you forget to remove the plastic covering of the base of your cooler?

PC: Acer Predator Helios 300: corei7-7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR4 2400MHz, 128GB SSD+1024GB HDD, Logitech G102 Prodigy+Circle Gaming Pro.

Ryzen CPU's come with a very high voltage. Try lowering the voltage a bit. If you are scared of touching the BIOS, do it in Ryzen Master.

My 3600 was reaching up to 86C on Cinebench r23 and lowering the voltage to 1.17v made it only reach 74Cº.

Also, with making an offset or putting a fixed voltage, those temperature spikes should dissapear. In stock ryzen, it always happens. If you open something and the CPU its at its stock settings, it just makes those temperature spikes.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

14 minutes ago, r3m0 said:

Did you apply too much thermal paste? Or did you forget to remove the plastic covering of the base of your cooler?

I used the pre applied one that came with the cooler, but I might buy new thermal paste and re apply to try.

btw the best is to apply a bit like rice grain or a bit bigger dropling of thermal paste in the middle of the IHS, no point spreading it like butter.

I edit my posts more often than not

15 minutes ago, r3m0 said:

idles are normal, so it cant be the plastic. 

Also, too much tmp is only a problem if you dont mouth the cooler properly. If you do, it gets squeezed out.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

90c under CB20 is a bit much, maybe check the cooler is installed correctly with sufficient thermal paste and pressure.

the case itself seems pretty bad for airflow and if you only have 1 fan (the rear exhaust one), it's likely there is little to no airflow in your case, contributing to the higher temps.

test this by removing the side panel. if temps drop by 5-10 degrees, it means your high temps are due to the case and lack of extra fans, not the cpu cooler.

Ok thanks I'll try that when I'm back home and return the case if it solves it. What would a good case for around 80-100USD?

8 minutes ago, Rockmasters28 said:

I used the pre applied one that came with the cooler, but I might buy new thermal paste and re apply to try.

Yes, that'd work.

Check if the plastic cover is still on there, lots of people forget to remove it!

Apply a pea sized amount in the middle, make sure you fasten the cooler evenly on all four sides, see if there's any excess paste that flows out. If there's any, wipe it with a tissue or a towel cloth and you're set.

PC: Acer Predator Helios 300: corei7-7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR4 2400MHz, 128GB SSD+1024GB HDD, Logitech G102 Prodigy+Circle Gaming Pro.

7 minutes ago, Rockmasters28 said:

What would a good case for around 80-100USD?

Fractal Design Meshify C.

It can be found for cheaper than $80 and is a fantastic case, great thermal performance.

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

that's a really small cooler for your cpu, but it should still be fine

check mounting pressure and case airflow as suggested

36 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

16 minutes ago, Rockmasters28 said:

What would a good case for around 80-100USD?

Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh

Fractal Design Meshify C

Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital

Lian Li LANCOOL II-X

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Fractal Design Focus G

but before buying a new case, I'd try to populate the fan slots in your current case, that should help.

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

that's a really small cooler for your cpu, but it should still be fine

check mounting pressure and case airflow as suggested

I agree and would get a bigger CPU cooler for that. And maybe also another case.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh

Fractal Design Meshify C

Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital

Lian Li LANCOOL II-X

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Fractal Design Focus G

but before buying a new case, I'd try to populate the fan slots in your current case, that should help.

I do already have 3 fans on the front panel, but I guess those fans are not the best. I'll check these cases and try to return current one if opening the side panel makes a big difference.

if you look around many people are saying they have similar temps on the 5800. theories are that because it's a single CCD with all eight cores active, it just gets hotter. may want to look into liquid cooling. best of luck.

Ok so I tried taking side panel off and it didn't do anything. However, after booting up at the end of the day today (pc turned off for about 8 hours), I got 30-35C temps idle, without having changed anything and with Eco mode actually off. It was weird so I waited 10-15min but temps stayed stable. I launched Cyberpunk which raised CPU temp to about 70C, wwith spikes at 80-85C (keep in mind all graphics settings to highest). 

Then after quitting Cyberpunk, temperature wouldn't go down below 45C idle. I checked task manager and found that Corsair Service Remote ID was taking up 5-10% of CPU power. I had already disable iCue, but then I uninstalled and watched temps go down live as it uninstalled to about 38-40C idle.

It honestly looks like I am fine, and it was just iCue that was messing with my CPU. I'll try undervolting if I keep seeing high temps while gaming, or just reducing graphics settings.

8 hours ago, Rockmasters28 said:

Ok so I tried taking side panel off and it didn't do anything. However, after booting up at the end of the day today (pc turned off for about 8 hours), I got 30-35C temps idle, without having changed anything and with Eco mode actually off. It was weird so I waited 10-15min but temps stayed stable. I launched Cyberpunk which raised CPU temp to about 70C, wwith spikes at 80-85C (keep in mind all graphics settings to highest). 

Then after quitting Cyberpunk, temperature wouldn't go down below 45C idle. I checked task manager and found that Corsair Service Remote ID was taking up 5-10% of CPU power. I had already disable iCue, but then I uninstalled and watched temps go down live as it uninstalled to about 38-40C idle.

It honestly looks like I am fine, and it was just iCue that was messing with my CPU. I'll try undervolting if I keep seeing high temps while gaming, or just reducing graphics settings.

That is weird, but totally possible. Even though you may have solved the problem for now, it's a good idea that you make sure that the hardware side of things won't cause any issues in the future. Re-checking is a good idea. Also, if you don't have an exhaust fan, get one.

18 hours ago, Rockmasters28 said:

Hi everyone

MSI B550 Tomahawk

Ryzen 5800x

BeQuiet pure Rock 2

Gigabyte Vision Rtx 3070

Kingston KC2500 ssd

Thanks!

I have a 5800X. Those temps are very normal with less than a 280mm AIO, and are 100% safe temps for your CPU to operate at. It will have lower clock speeds when running at 90°c, as that is the PBO target temp. (and unless you're exceeding that temp, you're entirely within operating specs)

Depending on the speeds you're getting, you could even overclock it a bit without issue.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

• 4 weeks later...

i managed to lower the maximum temps on my 5800x by 11°C

I am using a coustom-loop (ek classic kit p360) on my 5800x and got temps around 82C in cinebench and 85C in Prime. the EK-SPC pump i use is not that powerfull i think and i dont know how much that affect my temps. my board is a b550 strix ( so PBO is enabled by default). roomtemps are 23-24C

my solution works for people with the most kind of watercoolers ( CLC and openloop) the problem with ryzen is that the hotspot of the cpu is not in the center of the cpu.but watercooler are normaly designed for a monolithic die with the hotspot in the middle of the CPU.

the German overclocker/youtuber Der 8auer ( Der Bauer) has created a product wich is called "RYZEN 3000 OC Bracket" it is compatible with ryzen5000 and most ATX boards ( for x570 there is a list). it simply changes the position of where the coldplate center is mounted onto the CCD (Die ) wich helps with transporting the heat.

he has made videos where he explains his two versions of it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJDv68fEcM

i also moved from Arctic mx4 to Kryonaut thermalpaste

i only tested a litte sofar but this is what it changed for me:

Cinebench max temp after 5 passes went from 82C to 72C and prime 95 ( only 10 minutes) went from 87C max to 77C max but 77C was only a spike . on average i have seen 74C

the product can only be bought on Caseking as far as i know and i dont know if they ship world wide but for me it was a good solution ;)