Delete reposts, rather than locking.

pythonmegapixel

I thought the entire point of not allowing reposts in a short space of time was to reduce clutter on the forum.

So why, when a repost occurs, is it invariably locked - and therefore left adding to the clutter - rather than being deleted?

Surely a deletion and a private message to OP would be a better solution?

It's not like any information is being lost here, as the information in the post still exists in a different thread.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Speaking for myself at least, it's simply easier to lock the thread and leave a message then and there without having to change page a few times

I'll bring this up with the others though

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

This is one of those things each mod does bit differently.

Mine is:

• If the dublicate has no replies, it will just be removed.
  • If it has replies, threads will get merged and dublicated posts or other clutter will be removed (including the usual whining and backseat moderation)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I think they merge them sometimes.

I mainly merge multi-posted topics, unless I am on a time crunch or some other off reason... 9/10 merge.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

I mainly merge multi-posted topics, unless I am on a time crunch or some other off reason... 9/10 merge.

Pretty much the same. Will usually merge, but will sometimes lock with a message.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Pretty much the same. Will usually merge, but will sometimes lock with a message.

That sounds reasonable. But what I don't understand is why locking makes more sense than deleting in that case, assuming the duplicate has no replies?

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

That sounds reasonable. But what I don't understand is why locking makes more sense than deleting in that case, assuming the duplicate has no replies?

Like other mods have said, sometimes it's time. We're volunteers, so for myself, I'll be on the forum when I can, and that sometimes mean I'm on my phone. I'll do my best, but I don't always have the time to merge, clean and then send a PM (that can be up to 5 minutes per thread, it could be more time than I have on my phone).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

55 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Like other mods have said, sometimes it's time. We're volunteers, so for myself, I'll be on the forum when I can, and that sometimes mean I'm on my phone. I'll do my best, but I don't always have the time to merge, clean and then send a PM (that can be up to 5 minutes per thread, it could be more time than I have on my phone).

Ah, I see. I didn't realise it took significantly longer to do one than the other. That would make sense.

pythonmegapixel

You're referring to when one person posts the same topic multiple times, or when different people post on the same topic (eg. A tech news topic)?

Assuming the former, sometimes it's locked for transparency. It also serves as a reminder to other people who see it that reposting a thread multiple times isn't going to get you anywhere. In some circumstances if the post has received replies it can be beneficial to lock and leave a note directing to the earlier thread to continue the discussion. This can make it easier for the people who were responding to find the original topic, opposed to if the thread was just deleted and they didn't know why. 

The majority of the time if it has replies we will try to merge it in with the previous thread. Sometimes if we catch it early enough and there aren't any replies, or if people are just spamming it, it'll be deleted. Different situations call for different responses. Very few are actually locked, it's just that a locked thread is more noticeable than when a thread has been merged or deleted.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

To add on, I guess another issue with merging topics all of the time is that it disrupts any conversation that's going on in either of the two streams. And the conversations from those two streams might have gone off to their own tangents but still on topic. But awkward for the mods when both streams have some form of healthy conversation going. Merging the two would disrupt both streams as the two would just be mashed together all willy-nilly where messages are ordered chronically.   

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580