1080 ti buying help

Kanna

What modell should I look for when getting a 1080 ti used and should the founders be avoided?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Most EVGA models were pretty much the best models you could get for the 1080ti such as the FTW3. I would say aim for those. Founders edition should definitely be avoided, it's hot, loud and is just worse overall.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

5 minutes ago, Kanna said:

should the founders be avoided?

Blower cards, yeah, avoid

Unless you plan to watercool, which I doubt you will, knowing you

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I have the FTW3 model and it's great. 

The Strix and Gaming X were both also excellent cards. IIRC, the Gaming X was the quietest of the 10 series generation as it used two larger slower moving fans compared to triple fan designs. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I have the Asus Strix and it did me well for years. The blower versions have exactly the same problems as other blower cards, you'll likely hit thermal limit, and it'll make a noise while doing so.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 minutes ago, tishous said:

Most EVGA models were pretty much the best models you could get for the 1080ti such as the FTW3. I would say aim for those. Founders edition should definitely be avoided, it's hot, loud and is just worse overall.

Is there a list of cards that should be avoided?

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Blower cards, yeah, avoid

Unless you plan to watercool, which I doubt you will, knowing you

Yeah watercool is not my thing which you already might know

Reminder⚠️

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Is there a list of cards that should be avoided?

Perhaps this list for GPUs should help. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

All depends on price. The founders cards are fine and such but really don't overpay for a older card. The 1080ti usually still goed for 400 or up which is the msrp of a 3060ti which is flat out better so might just wanna wait for those

40 minutes ago, jaslion said:

All depends on price. The founders cards are fine and such but really don't overpay for a older card. The 1080ti usually still goed for 400 or up which is the msrp of a 3060ti which is flat out better so might just wanna wait for those

Isn’t the 3060ti focused on 1440p?

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

Isn’t the 3060ti focused on 1440p?

Yeah? So? The aim was higher frame rate 1440p. Why does that matter? Are you thinking it's going to perform worse at 1080p or 4k because of that? It's a high fps 1080p card and a 4k 60fps at good settings card.

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah? So? The aim was higher frame rate 1440p. Why does that matter? Are you thinking it's going to perform worse at 1080p or 4k because of that? It's a high fps 1080p card and a 4k 60fps at good settings card.

I’m just thinking it might be a waste of money for just 1080p

Reminder⚠️

So is a overpriced 1080ti. That is still a 1440p high fps card too. What games do you want to play at what settings and fps?

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So is a overpriced 1080ti. That is still a 1440p high fps card too. What games do you want to play at what settings and fps?

Well go ahead and link be a 3800kr 3060ti in sweden then, I plan on playing cold war on high ish settings like max 60 fps for now and cyberpunk on some settings 60fps

Reminder⚠️

personally I'll get a 3060ti or 3070 FTW3 and I'll be playing at 1080p /60 fps *with shiny maxed out graphics* I couldn't care less if a old and used 1080ti could do the same the 30xx cards will be better in any way... ~

(already pre-ordered both, but especially the 3060ti seems like a good buy - whenever it's available lol) 

20201210_163011.thumb.jpg.f190095c42aebb9dbaeba20fa29877c1.jpg

tenor-7.gif.3c18d9f86f044e920a0edfaad0a1f01c.gif

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Well go ahead and link be a 3800kr 3060ti in sweden then, I plan on playing cold war on high ish settings like max 60 fps for now and cyberpunk on some settings 60fps

That can be done on far cheaper card for 1080 60. Also just wait for the 3060ti to go up for sale at normal price? They are available here and there in europe.

What card do you have now?

11 minutes ago, Kanna said:

they're right, in a sernse that a better card will always be a better card, regardless of resolution (most of the time, unless two cards are very close in perf then sure, resolution may affect things, but this is not the case)

but again, depends on your local availability

buy the best card for your money, look at cards you can afford around your budget, then look at benchmarks

Just now, jaslion said:

That can be done on far cheaper card for 1080 60. Also just wait for the 3060ti to go up for sale at normal price? They are available here and there in europe.

What card do you have now?

not... really 

wRjqeZFntHfbWnYi5NVnqA-1200-80.thumb.png.a514f0c93e724cf012c73580dcec8808.png

u need a 1080 minimum for that sweet overhyped but badly optimized game #5853764 60fps goodness 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

they're right, in a sernse that a better card will always be a better card, regardless of resolution (most of the time, unless two cards are very close in perf then sure, resolution may affect things, but this is not the case)

but again, depends on your local availability

buy the best card for your money, look at cards you can afford around your budget, then look at benchmarks

Yeah the 3060 is better but then comes the availabillity

Reminder⚠️

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

not... really 

wRjqeZFntHfbWnYi5NVnqA-1200-80.thumb.png.a514f0c93e724cf012c73580dcec8808.png

u need a 1080 minimum for that sweet overhyped but badly optimized game #5853764 60fps goodness 

A 1660 super is a lot cheaper than most used 1080ti's tho 😛 and yeah it's badly optimized game time again woop woop.

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Yeah the 3060 is better but then comes the availabillity

that's why i said, look for cards available to you, then check benchmarks

personally i got 3060ti just fine.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

A 1660 super is a lot cheaper than most used 1080ti's tho 😛 and yeah it's badly optimized game time again woop woop.

Actually might be getting the 3060ti anyways since I won’t get a new gpu until 2021 anyways

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

that's why i said, look for cards available to you, then check benchmarks

personally i got 3060ti just fine.

Yeah I won’t get a new card until next year so futureproofing and spending little more shouldn’t hurt I will be able to max most games then

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

Yeah I won’t get a new card until next year so futureproofing and spending little more shouldn’t hurt I will be able to max most games then

3060ti for 1080p is pretty overkill, for today's games anyways

it's a mid-high 1440p card, for now

Just now, Moonzy said:

3060ti for 1080p is pretty overkill, for today's games anyways

it's a mid-high 1440p card, for now

Yeah that is what I’m worried about (overkill)

Reminder⚠️