my friend's phone got wet and wont start what to do?

Go to solution Solved by 57chevy,
3 hours ago, my username got flaged said:

my friend phone got wet with salt water and it only vibrates water stickers are pink for the sim tray what to do it is not registering for windows 

It's a small miracle the phone even powered up enough to vibrate after swimming in salt water. The problem with a phone getting dunked in salt water is that after saltwater dries, it leaves salt over everything. Salt will rust the metal components pretty quickly, especially the exposed metal like a USB plug.  Rice wouldn't fix anything because there's still salt in the phone. Your best bet is to follow @huilun02 's advice.  The purest alcohol you can find.  Submerge the phone completely and let it soak for a few minutes.  The alcohol will push out any water that might be trapped in the phone and push the salt out as well.  The alcohol then dries completely clean with no residue left.  Let it dry overnight and then try powering up or plugging it in.  Other than that, you unfortunately have a dead phone. 

my friend phone got wet with salt water and it only vibrates water stickers are pink for the sim tray what to do it is not registering for windows 

Salt water has most likely destroyed the phone entirely. Did you turn off the phone immediately when it got wet and let it dry for a couple days?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Salt water has most likely destroyed the phone entirely. Did you turn off the phone immediately when it got wet and let it dry for a couple days?

yes but my friend followed that stupid thing by putting it in rice too but it has no signs of corrosion

1 minute ago, my username got flaged said:

yes but my friend followed that stupid thing by putting it in rice too but it has no signs of corrosion

The corrosion could be too small to see. Although, corrosion is not the only way for the phone to be damaged. The shorts created by the salt could easily create a lot of invisible damage. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

what to do i want to retrieve data from on it i know it works because it starts it vibrates  i know the screen is dead
i just want the data 
is it possible ?

Just now, my username got flaged said:

i just plug it in it  (has signs of charging it is getting hot)

The getting hot part is more indicative of a short-circuit.

1 minute ago, my username got flaged said:

what to do i want to retrieve data from on it i know it works because it starts it vibrates  i know the screen is dead
i just want the data 
is it possible ?

Bring it someone like Louis Rosman if its an iPhone. Or another data-recovery centre.

But thats only if it wont turn on after drying. Any further work on it, like leaving the charger in to long will just make it harder to do the recovery.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

10 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

The getting hot part is more indicative of a short-circuit.

Bring it someone like Louis Rosman if its an iPhone. Or another data-recovery centre.

But thats only if it wont turn on after drying. Any further work on it, like leaving the charger in to long will just make it harder to do the recovery.

battery is good the bottom board is good i check the water sticker 

9 minutes ago, my username got flaged said:

it vibrates too
can i take of the glass and the screen ?

it is a samsung A30

I'm sure you could disassemble the phone, however, if you're not familiar with data recovery tactics, anything you do to the phone could result in making whatever data might be left on the phone even more inaccessible. I don't even try to recover data from phones anymore as they're not built to be disassembled and often don't have microSD cards for data storage anymore either. You're best to send it to a professional like Louis Rossmann to see what can be done.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I'm sure you could disassemble the phone, however, if you're not familiar with data recovery tactics, anything you do to the phone could result in making whatever data might be left on the phone even more inaccessible. I don't even try to recover data from phones anymore as they're not built to be disassembled and often don't have microSD cards for data storage anymore either. You're best to send it to a professional like Louis Rossmann to see what can be done.

i live on a small island  so that is not a option so is there anyother way to recover the data by me i know a good bit about phones but it is not identifying by the system what can i do i cant send it to anyone 

17 minutes ago, kirashi said:

hello?

7 minutes ago, my username got flaged said:

hello?

Have patience, members will reply when they can.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

40 minutes ago, my username got flaged said:

i live on a small island  so that is not a option so is there anyother way to recover the data by me i know a good bit about phones but it is not identifying by the system what can i do i cant send it to anyone 

No need to double quote/reply to me twice... as much as I love helping people with tech, people do have lives to attend to. As noted in my reply "I don't even try to recover data from phones" so I'm not the right person to ask about this. Even if someone on the internet had tips for you, any attempts to recover the data have the potential to make the situation worse, so keep in mind that you may end up doing more damage than good.

Phones running prior versions of Android used to let you access certain information using ADB over the command line, as long as you had already enabled USB debugging in the developer settings before you could no longer access the screen. Newer Android phones first require you to enter the lock screen PIN/password to then say "yes, I trust this computer" before you can do anything over USB for security reasons, even if you previously enabled USB debugging.

The only thing I can suggest would be to see if that particular model of phone will display screen output using an HDMI adapter like the one below. If it will, you may be able to connect a mouse & keyboard using a powered USB HUB if the touch functionality of the screen doesn't work. If touch functionality works and the phone can display something over an HDMI adapter, you might just be able to connect it to a TV then use the touch portion of the screen to do whatever you need to.

image.png.2423e36fe6a0a39e81dfb41205fd12b1.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

8 minutes ago, my username got flaged said:

it is taking to long and i dont have time 

Patience is key when posting to a forum, people have lives outside the forum and live around the world, they will answer you when they can.

Expecting a quick reply and posting comments like this;

25 minutes ago, my username got flaged said:

hello?

will discourage members from wanting or be willing to help or assist you.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, kirashi said:

No need to double quote/reply to me twice... as much as I love helping people with tech, people do have lives to attend to. As noted in my reply "I don't even try to recover data from phones" so I'm not the right person to ask about this. Even if someone on the internet had tips for you, any attempts to recover the data have the potential to make the situation worse, so keep in mind that you may end up doing more damage than good.

Phones running prior versions of Android used to let you access certain information using ADB over the command line, as long as you had already enabled USB debugging in the developer settings before you could no longer access the screen. Newer Android phones first require you to enter the lock screen PIN/password to then say "yes, I trust this computer" before you can do anything over USB for security reasons.

The only thing I can suggest would be to see if that particular model of phone will display screen output using an HDMI adapter like the one below. If it will, you may be able to connect a mouse & keyboard using a powered USB HUB if the touch functionality of the screen doesn't work. If touch functionality works and the phone can display something over an HDMI adapter, you might just be able to connect it to a TV then use the touch portion of the screen to do whatever you need to.

thank you a ton it means alot tht you replied i know about adb but  the computer not recognizing the phone so i dont know wht to do make a youtube video destroying it idc but sorry if i rushed you i just need an answer i think this phone is never going to work again so i am going to mash it up i dont have any other ideas 

i could see if the tv recognize it or i could try to find another solution but thanks a lot 

8 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Phones running prior versions of Android used to let you access certain information using ADB over the command line, as long as you had already enabled USB debugging in the developer settings before you could no longer access the screen. Newer Android phones first require you to enter the lock screen PIN/password to then say "yes, I trust this computer" before you can do anything over USB for security reasons.

3 hours ago, my username got flaged said:

It's a small miracle the phone even powered up enough to vibrate after swimming in salt water. The problem with a phone getting dunked in salt water is that after saltwater dries, it leaves salt over everything. Salt will rust the metal components pretty quickly, especially the exposed metal like a USB plug.  Rice wouldn't fix anything because there's still salt in the phone. Your best bet is to follow @huilun02 's advice.  The purest alcohol you can find.  Submerge the phone completely and let it soak for a few minutes.  The alcohol will push out any water that might be trapped in the phone and push the salt out as well.  The alcohol then dries completely clean with no residue left.  Let it dry overnight and then try powering up or plugging it in.  Other than that, you unfortunately have a dead phone. 

20 minutes ago, 57chevy said:

thanks a lot 

13 hours ago, my username got flaged said:

it is taking to long and i dont have time 

If you want speed, you better pay good money for it!

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!