How do i burn a win8.1 ISO file to a EMPTY HDD so that it is bootable.

Simone_ltt
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

You get a usb stick or a 8 GB DVD disc and you burn the ISO to disc, or use some tool to write the ISO to usb stick and make it bootable.

Microsoft even has a free tool for that.. just click on Download Windows on microsoft website, or google 'download windows"

You CAN NOT just "burn" the iso file to a hard drive and get windows working.  Think of the iso image as just a tiny application that "unzips" big files onto the hard drive and then does more things. So you have to go through installation process to install Windows.

Hey i have a WD SCORPIO 250 gb HDD. I want to burn my WIN8.1 iso so that its a bootable drive.
I have RUFUS but it only works with FAT32 whereas my drive is NTFS and exFAT.
How can i achive it ? I want my drive to be ready to go bootable drive.

Just now, Abhirupam Sarmah said:

Hey i have a WD SCORPIO 250 gb HDD. I want to burn my WIN8.1 iso so that its a bootable drive.
I have RUFUS but it only works with FAT32 whereas my drive is NTFS and exFAT.
How can i achive it ? I want my drive to be ready to go bootable drive.

If it's the official Windows 8.1 ISO-file, it's just the installer for Windows. It's not an actual, useable Windows-environment, so doing what you're asking for wouldn't make much sense.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

You want to install windows from a hdd? I mean sure you can technically do that just make the drive a fat32 one and done.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

If it's the official Windows 8.1 ISO-file, it's just the installer for Windows. It's not an actual, useable Windows-environment, so doing what you're asking for wouldn't make much sense.

i downloaded it from the MS website only.
I am able to boot from the iso in VMWARE by selecting iso option

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

You want to install windows from a hdd? I mean sure you can technically do that just make the drive a fat32 one and done.

I want the ISO file to be burnt into the empty drive such a way that it's a ready to go Bootable drive 

1 minute ago, Abhirupam Sarmah said:

i downloaded it from the MS website only.
I am able to boot from the iso in VMWARE by selecting iso option

So, you want a Windows-installer on your HDD, instead of an actual, useable Windows-environment?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

27 minutes ago, Abhirupam Sarmah said:

I want the ISO file to be burnt into the empty drive such a way that it's a ready to go Bootable drive 

Bootable for what?

To install Windows from the HDD, or to use it as a desktop environment ?

To be able to install Windows 8 using that drive, use something like Easy2Boot (https://www.easy2boot.com/), or some ISO burner software that will let you put the ISO on a HDD.

To have Windows 8 running on the HDD as a desktop environment, burn the ISO into a USB stick, have only the USB stick and HDD plugged in the PC, and install Windows as usual.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

@wkdpaul   @WereCatf 
The HDD is empty 
i have the ISO file in my computer(differentcomputer)
Now i want to install WIN in that HDD so that i can use it as a PC 

You get a usb stick or a 8 GB DVD disc and you burn the ISO to disc, or use some tool to write the ISO to usb stick and make it bootable.

Microsoft even has a free tool for that.. just click on Download Windows on microsoft website, or google 'download windows"

You CAN NOT just "burn" the iso file to a hard drive and get windows working.  Think of the iso image as just a tiny application that "unzips" big files onto the hard drive and then does more things. So you have to go through installation process to install Windows.

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Ok !

Thanks !

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

How Do VM's Do it ? 

1 minute ago, Abhirupam Sarmah said:

How Do VM's Do it ? 

The same as a regular PC, minus the USB stick (you can point it directly to te ISO).

Just now, wkdpaul said:

The same as a regular PC, minus the USB stick (you can point it directly to te ISO).

Mean VM's Do the work of the USB themselves ?

Just now, Abhirupam Sarmah said:

What USB ?

30 minutes ago, Abhirupam Sarmah said:

The USB is what the installer takes the files from.

For VMs, it just takes the files directly.

No USB/FireWire/Thunderbolt flash drive required.

elephants squared

elephants

20 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

The USB is what the installer takes the files from.

For VMs, it just takes the files directly.

No USB/FireWire/Thunderbolt flash drive required.

yes that was extaly what i was asking Thanx :)

A virtual machine simulates a whole computer... think about it, it's in the name "VIRTUAL machine".

Just as it simulates a whole computer, it also simulates the USB stick plugged into a VIRTUAL USB PORT of the VIRTUAL MACHINE. 

Sometimes, it's a virtual SATA DVD drive and mounts the ISO image as an actual disc.

The virtual machine is created by SOFTWARE which runs on an underlying operating system, often Linux but can be Windows.

You need to put that image as a usb stick or a disc and boot from that media to install the OS on the hard drive.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

A virtual machine simulates a whole computer... think about it, it's in the name "VIRTUAL machine".

Just as it simulates a whole computer, it also simulates the USB stick plugged into a VIRTUAL USB PORT of the VIRTUAL MACHINE. 

Sometimes, it's a virtual SATA DVD drive and mounts the ISO image as an actual disc.

The virtual machine is created by SOFTWARE which runs on an underlying operating system, often Linux but can be Windows.

You need to put that image as a usb stick or a disc and boot from that media to install the OS on the hard drive.

ok

image.thumb.png.57c161c70fab1401a728a26cde553650.pngWhy am i not able to go beyond this i have the ISO now i need a tool

It DOESN'T MATTER... just download the tool and it should work.

It literally just makes a bootable usb stick from a iso image ... should work even with a linux iso image.

Get the one that says Windows 7,  it  shouldn't matter.

Get the one with EN if you want the application in English. EN-GB is the UK "dialect ...

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It DOESN'T MATTER... just download the tool and it should work.

It literally just makes a bootable usb stick from a iso image ... should work even with a linux iso image.

Get the one that says Windows 7,  it  shouldn't matter.

Get the one with EN if you want the application in English. EN-GB is the UK "dialect ...

ok