What Price Range is considered to be Budget?

whm1974

OK I'm putting this here as it has to with Building Rigs.

Now reading reading this Forum during the last few days, I'm getting shocked on what some Posters are calling Budget items, such as Processors and dGPUs. Like ~$300 to ~$400...

Come on guys these are not Budget Components at all. Rather should be thought of as High End, or starting there.

The whole term is a bit misleading because both $400 and $400 000 can be budgets. I paid about $1100 for my current system and would consider it a budget system. Don't get too stuck on some arbitrary definition and just stick to your own budget instead.

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Posters are calling Budget items, such as Processors and dGPUs. Like ~$300 to ~$400...

And I felt that was high-end/mid-range for both respectively when I built my first computer...

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

The word "budget" just means the amount of money you're willing to spend. 

In reference to inexpensive parts, it's all a matter of perspective. Someone who thinks a $2000 build is the norm might find a $1000 PC a budget build.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

The word "budget" just means the amount of money you're willing to spend. 

In reference to inexpensive parts, it's all a matter of perspective. Someone who thinks a $2000 build is the norm might find a $1000 PC a budget build.

Well for $1,000 we could put together a complete System, including a Display, KBM, and of course if needed a Printer-Scanner.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Well for $1,000 we could put together a complete System, including a Display, KBM, and of course if needed a Printer-Scanner.

You could do the same for $500, but that's all besides the point.

budget = allocated funds

i think it's being confused with "best bang for buck"?

think the best bang for buck rig is somewhere in $800-1200?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

budget = allocated funds

i think it's being confused with "best bang for buck"?

think the best bang for buck rig is somewhere in $800-1200?

I completely agree with this, anything below tends to be barely cheaper and way worse, anything higher tends to be way more expensive, and barely better.

OP: Budget is exactly what it's called, a budget, it's whatever you set, or think is correct.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Budget is 30% of the price of the most expensive.

For CPU and GPU under $200 is budget. under $100 is super budget.

A budget system is the lowest you can do which are the minimum performance you can tolerate.

I consider budget system around $500-$1000.

$300-400 is super budget, non gpu, office systems.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

www.pcpartpicker.com has really major issues with with correctly showing Vendor's actual Stock and Prices. Are there other such Sites that are more up to date with Vendors?

I remember I bought 1070ti founders edition at $449. It is like the high end card at that time.

The GTX 1060 6GB is $299. and I believe this card occupied a significant portion in the PC gaming markets.

3 minutes ago, JoshY47 said:

I remember I bought 1070ti founders edition at $449. It is like the high end card at that time.

The GTX 1060 6GB is $299. and I believe this card occupied a significant portion in the PC gaming markets.

I'm sure that at the time the GTX 160 6GB didn't go for ~$300 at the time.

12 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm sure that at the time the GTX 160 6GB didn't go for ~$300 at the time.

I think the founders edition for GTX 1060 6GB is actually $299.

Edit: adding source

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

So compare with GTX 10 Series, the 3060Ti is between the price of 1070 and 1070ti. (Founders edition price) Neatly cut from Jenson Huang.

11 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I wouldn't buy a Founder's Edition dGPU.

Normally I wouldn't either, unless I like the appearance, customers would go standard edition for previous years.

Until the custom cards bring higher costs than the founders edition, which is the situation for majority of RTX 30 series