Totality
1 minute ago, Totality said:

What if intel bought amd pls let me know what you think

no please.

I would hate it.

It would be like PAC-MAN but the ghosts allied with pac-man

22 minutes ago, Totality said:

This would not happen due to anti-trust and anti-monopoly laws. Intel would not have a fair competitor and thusly creating a monopoly.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

40 minutes ago, Totality said:

lol its hypothetical i know it wont happen for years

53 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

This would create a monopoly in the x86 market, so regulators would never allow it.

even if AMD is dead broke and beg Intel to have them?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

17 minutes ago, Totality said:

lol its hypothetical i know it wont happen ever

Ftfy

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Someone else would have to buy them that's not Intel.

okay, what if nobody buys them? do the government let them die? naturally creating the monopoly?

Intel practically owns the monopoly of x86 code in the first place, if it weren't for the 386 / 486 shortage that forced them to distribute the code for the clone companies. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

We would recess back to cheap-to-make expensive-to-buy 22nm quad cores 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

okay, what if nobody buys them? do the government let them die? naturally creating the monopoly?

Intel practically owns the monopoly of x86 code in the first place, if it weren't for the 386 / 486 shortage that forced them to distribute the code for the clone companies. 

If AMD died and Intel became a monopoly, regulators would break the appart, to stop them from being a monopoly. Which is why it isn't in Intel's best interest for AMD to cease to exist.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

If AMD died and Intel became a monopoly, regulators would break the appart, to stop them from being a monopoly. Which is why it isn't in Intel's best interest for AMD to cease to exist.

nor should it be in the best interests of AMD (or consumers) for Intel to cease to exist, despite how much people on this forum wish it would happen.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

This would create a monopoly in the x86 market, so regulators would never allow it.

Which makes me think of the theory that Intel is purposely allowing AMD to do well in the current market. ':)

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

i actually wish there was a 3rd big competetor wich would increase the competition and thus lower the prices

1 minute ago, Reytime said:

Which makes me think of the theory that Intel is purposely allowing AMD to do well in the current market. ':)

seems unlikely but after thinking about it it seems like a strat to come back with something better and raise the prices..

simple strat: create good product for xxx$ --> rival creates slightly better product and increases price by 10 to idk % --> you realease a slightly better product for even more money. 

^ repeat this process and u get BIG stonks

this is actually the case for AMD and Intel ATM...

I think it would be more logical for intel to buy TSMC than AMD. 

I don't think Intels problem is in designing a good x86 CPU, intels problem is to design a good manufacturing process. 

1 minute ago, Spindel said:

I think it would be more logical for intel to buy TSMC than AMD. 

I don't think Intels problem is in designing a good x86 CPU, intels problem is to design a good manufacturing process. 

i cant buy amd tho... idk about buying tsmc  but they definately cant buy AMD

3 minutes ago, flo_306 said:

i cant buy amd tho... idk about buying tsmc  but they definately cant buy AMD

For the arguments sake lets play the hypothetical game of "if Intel could buy AMD" :)

As it stands I still see Intels problems being more with manufacturing than design, so from my POV buying a manufacturing process is what intel needs not a chip designer. 

1 hour ago, flo_306 said:

i actually wish there was a 3rd big competetor wich would increase the competition and thus lower the prices

well we have apple lol

10 minutes ago, Totality said:

well we have apple lol

Yeah 😝 Except for all the companies that can't use anything but Windows/x86 because of some silly legacy apps they need.

If ARM CPUs start to become a viable alternative and you can install Windows on both x86 and ARM and the whole x86-dominance thing is over then Intel becoming a monopoly would be less of an issue because suddenly you would have more competitors able to produce CPUs again. But right now only one x86 manufacturer would mean they could essentially extort the whole industry that is dependent on them. Which is why no one wants that.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply