What if Apple designed and sold processors (and by-extension chipsets) as standalone products to consumers to be used in PCs like Intel and AMD?

It's Apple so they obviously would never do this, but do you think this would be a good business decision?

much in the same vein as the fact that they don't sell Mac OS as a retail product, it works better for them to force users to buy their systems and not just their deisngs.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

One of the major factors in their recipe to success is the way they control their ecosystem. Selling individual pieces and losing control would mean other companies could fuck up on quality or whatnot. 

So no.

Potato

I always wanted an Apple in my Raspberry Pi.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

They can't, because they don't have x86 licenses.  Also, no need for chipset if everything is inside the cpu. 

For example, Epyc motherboards can have no chipset, all that's needed is inside the cpu.

Also no, they wouldn't want to go x86 because that would make them less different

They were using MIPS RISC processors .. PowerPC processors from IBM, moved to x86 because windows got too popular and intel processors were faster and lower power, now they're moving back because Intel screwed them and can't make enough processors for them at the right price and power budget and they also want to dumb down devices to make the interfaces like iphone and ipad and last but not least, now they have enough money to make their own processor designs and on-the-fly translation software has matured enough to make it usable.

edit:  I meant they were using RISC processors, PowerPC  etc,.

Just now, mariushm said:

They can't, because they don't have x86 licenses.  Also, no need for chipset if everything is inside the cpu. 

For example, Epyc motherboards can have no chipset, all that's needed is inside the cpu.

Also no, they wouldn't want to go x86 because that would make them less different

They were using MIPS processors .. PowerPC processors from IBM, moved to x86 because windows got too popular and intel processors were faster and lower power, now they're moving back because Intel screwed them and can't make enough processors for them at the right price and power budget and they also want to dumb down devices to make the interfaces like iphone and ipad and last but not least, now they have enough money to make their own processor designs and on-the-fly translation software has matured enough to make it usable.

I wasn't suggesting they go x86. I was mostly referring to the M1 considering its success.

34 minutes ago, Joshua5684 said:

It's Apple so they obviously would never do this, but do you think this would be a good business decision?

It's an interesting thought..and I've thought of such a thing as possible... even something like a deal between them and Microsoft... Microsoft gets Windows AIM working to be used in VM on Macs, and they get access to M1to make some kind of "Windows book".... It's unlikely..but it's 2020 and there's a !@#!@# monolith in the Utah desert and zombie mink in Sweeden, so who knows.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

They were using MIPS processors .. PowerPC processors from IBM, moved to x86 because windows got too popular and intel processors were faster and lower power, now they're moving back because Intel screwed them and can't make enough processors for them at the right price and power budget and they also want to dumb down devices to make the interfaces like iphone and ipad and last but not least, now they have enough money to make their own processor designs and on-the-fly translation software has matured enough to make it usable.

Why would Apple need to make x86 Processors when they have the M1 ARM SoC they designed and moving the Mac over to it.

Apple never used MIPS in any of their systems. Their First Macs used Motorola 68000 Series CPUs until '93 or '94. That is when PowerPC started being used.

If they truly have a better CPU than anyone else, I imagine they make more profit selling that CPU as part of their complete, mostly locked down ecosystem that forcefully pushes buyers towards buying other Apple products, and eventually (they hope) to the biggest moneymaker: subscriptions. 

Selling components alone involves none of that vendor lock in that selling complete systems does. 

5 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Apple never used MIPS in any of their systems. Their First Macs used Motorola 68000 Series CPUs until '93 or '94. That is when PowerPC started being used.

For some reason my brain farted MIPS when I was thinking of PowerPC and I didn't bother to google and check myself.

You're correct, PowerPC is RISC, not MIPS.

19 minutes ago, mariushm said:

For some reason my brain farted MIPS when I was thinking of PowerPC and I didn't bother to google and check myself.

You're correct, PowerPC is RISC, not MIPS.

Well MIPS was one of the first RISC CPU designs. Predates PowerPC...

From a business perspective this is a "no". 

Apple now have both software and hardware that differentiate them the rest and make them "unique". Given that for me the macOS alone was enough to get me to buy mac during the Intel years. 

But in the "what if" scenario I do think that at least with the M1 it would kill x86 in the laptop and small form factor desktop market. If we isolate to what's available today, the M1, I don't think it would be sold directly to end users but to OEMs (Asus, HP, Dell etc) to put in their own systems. Just as it is with Intel and AMDs laptop chips today. 

Being able to get the M1 “at cost” (after TSMC cut) and then selling the whole premium machine at whatever price they want is what makes the whole R&D effort worth it for Apple, I think.

Probably the CPU alone, especially the ones we’ll see in low volume Macs like the Mac Pro, is developed at a loss, if it was to be sold stand alone...

That’s also what makes these SoCs great: they don’t need to sell them to clients (with requirements, etc.), so they’re free to put the craziest things in them. They would lose some of their “magic” if other OEMs had a say (even indirectly) in their design.

Apple is design processors for many years now for iphones and ipads
I don't see any A14 processors on other smartphones
As a matter of fact i haven't seen any other Apple hardware on another device.
I think they have so much hardware on the market that making their own hardware is a problem on it's own, as we ve seen at 2020 they' ve had a problem making enough iphones on time, so they released on 2 waves

8 hours ago, Joshua5684 said:

Well we do have the m1 chips

Just now, Totality said:

Well we do have the m1 chips

He meant if you could buy a Razer laptop with an M1 chip and run Windows ARM on it, or buy a boxed M1T (future desktop version we’ll see in spring) and install it in your next PC build.

7 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

Apple is design processors for many years now for iphones and ipads
I don't see any A14 processors on other smartphones
As a matter of fact i haven't seen any other Apple hardware on another device.
I think they have so much hardware on the market that making their own hardware is a problem on it's own, as we ve seen at 2020 they' ve had a problem making enough iphones on time, so they released on 2 waves

I’ll add that Apple had to book the whole 5nm TSMC fabbing capacity for this year, all of it.

There will be literally barely enough 5nm CPUs for iPhones, iPads and Macs this year (where by “year” I mean September to September). 

9 hours ago, Joshua5684 said:

Everyone seems to be assuming that selling processors they've designed also means that they would be giving people the right to build their own Apple devices. The two are unrelated to each other, so here's a sure-to-be-unpopular answer:

9 hours ago, jollander said:

One of the major factors in their recipe to success is the way they control their ecosystem. Selling individual pieces and losing control would mean other companies could fuck up on quality or whatnot. 

That isn't necessarily the case. Apple could:

1. Build their own devices and their own processor and distribute some of those processors for use in any design.
  2. Build their own devices and their own processor and distribute some of those processors for use in non Apple-infringing designs.
  3. Release older designs on a regular schedule.
  4. Design processors specifically for the wider market.

Most of these don't make sense. Option 1 clearly completely gives up Apples moat. Option 2 is pretty risky, there will certainly end up being many ripoffs, although most major companies probably won't start making copies of Apple devices. Option 3 is kind of interesting as it means that Apple is always a year ahead.

Which brings us to good ol' option 4. Option 4 allows Apple to tap into a market with only few major competitors, while also preventing Apple from shooting itself in the foot because they can downgrade features for processors destined for the wider market. They would keep the best features for themselves, while still being able to generate a profit (actually, pretty much the entire exercise would be all profit for them: The concern will get the processor designs for free, because they are actually being designed for Apple consumer devices, and will be profitable there as well. Beyond that, it would also improve their supplier pricing: They'll be buying all the more from TSMC, and none of the production lines will need reconfiguration between the two).

In order to do that, you have to shift your thinking: Apple would probably fail if it tries to go up against Intel and AMD. They would essentially be asking the market to completely switch foundations, which is a very expensive thing to do (all apps would need to be rewritten or recompiled to work on ARM, where-as they already work on x86 and x64 processors). However, Apple could very well take on companies like Qualcomm, Microchip, and Texas Instruments (or their ARM product lines anyway).

TL;DR:

I think that they can do it such that they can maintain their business advantage, and that doing so might allow them to become a market leader in another very large market.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv