Everything else is a BAD DEAL - Chromecast with Google TV

RILEYISMYNAME

The Chromecast with Google TV isn't just the newest Chromecast, it completely changes what a Chromecast IS. But is it good enough to take on an Android TV box like the Nvidia SHIELD TV?

Buy Google Chromecast with Google TV

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/VDhiu

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/2BFJMDj

How does this compare to the Xiaomi Mi Box S? I'm a bit sad it wasn't even mentioned in the video.

In Spain the new Chromecast is 69€ 😜 and the Mi Box S is around 50€.

Does anyone know if running Shadow.tech in this with the ethernet adapter would be any good?

Edit: Or just get an Apple TV 4k?

Another crappy video from Linus

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

What a truly awful title... (title I'm referring to is "Everything else is a BAD DEAL", for people reading after the inevitable title change that all LTT videos seem to have)

I mean, is a bag of carrots for 49p from Tesco a "BAD DEAL" now because I could buy this Chromecast instead?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Also waiting for a difference between the Xiaomi stuff. In Bulgaria the Mi box S is cheaper.

2 hours ago, Jamezrin said:

How does this compare to the Xiaomi Mi Box S? I'm a bit sad it wasn't even mentioned in the video.

In Spain the new Chromecast is 69€ 😜 and the Mi Box S is around 50€.

The Xiaomi Mi Box S is great, but personally, but the Chromecast is an option for those of us who feel kind of anxious about Chinese android boxes - I spend  A LOT of time in the tech news and there are near-infinite stories about buried software that sends data back to China

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Cause the Chromcast works.

True. You can do basically anything with a Raspberry Pi, but that requires WORK and I do not have the time nor am I interested enough when a $50 dongle does the job

1 hour ago, simpsonfan409 said:

dumb question, how is this different from a fire tv stick?

not that different - I just find that Amazon's ecosystem is more annoying and locked down than others. They also don't support USB-C dongles. But you CAN side-load apps and all that goodness

11 minutes ago, matrixatp said:

Also waiting for a difference between the Xiaomi stuff. In Bulgaria the Mi box S is cheaper.

See first comment

41 minutes ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

True. You can do basically anything with a Raspberry Pi, but that requires WORK and I do not have the time nor am I interested enough when a $50 dongle does the job

Aaaaaaand the Chromecast comes with a remote.

Google really hit the nail on the head with this one.

Oh Linus, connect the dots! Google Stadia isn't intended for simply streaming games. It will turn into a Twitch competitor soon enough. If people don't mind paying $5 for a chat message, they certainly don't mind paying $10 to just drop into a game with their favourite streamer. Imagine all the possibilities of an interactive game streaming service. They can monetize almost any part of it. In its current form Google Stadia is not the final product yet but just the first step.

2 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

The Xiaomi Mi Box S is great, but personally, but the Chromecast is an option for those of us who feel kind of anxious about Chinese android boxes - I spend  A LOT of time in the tech news and there are near-infinite stories about buried software that sends data back to China

not that different - I just find that Amazon's ecosystem is more annoying and locked down than others. They also don't support USB-C dongles. But you CAN side-load apps and all that goodness

See first comment

Personally I'm not worried about Xiaomi telemetry, 3/4 of my family use Xiaomi phones for their daily drivers (including me) and the other one uses Huawei.

Taking that to into account, would I miss out on anything by getting the Mi Box S instead of the new Chromecast? Xiaomi is not any chinese brand, it has a good reputation, specially in Europe.

How the heck you guys got the sd card to work?

I'm also using a similar dock and I can get the card to be detected by the chromecast, but I can't write anything to it and when I try to get write permissions using a file explorer it just gives me an error. I tried to format to fat32 on windows and also the format option on android settings, none have worked.

Also posted on chromecast subreddit but no one seems to have a clue what's going on...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/jhot5h/external_sdcard_issues_with_new_chromecast/

On 11/26/2020 at 12:38 PM, Required said:

Honestly surprised he didn't mention the Pi.

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Main Desktop and Folding Rig :

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-9400f

Gpu : GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
Psu : Seasonic G-650

Ram : G.Skill Aegis 4x8gb DDR4 2666MHz (14-15-15-34)

External Storage : 8tb Western Digital Elements Usb 3.0 Hard Drive

Storage : Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Motherboard : ASUS B365 Pro-4 m

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Cpu : I7-8750H 2.2ghz 

Gpu : GTX 1070 Max Q 

Psu : laptop b r i c k 

Ram : 16gb 2666Mhz 

Storage : 512Gb SATA SSD 

Motherboard : it's a laptop.....

old boomer (currently non-functional)

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-6400 2.7ghz (doesn't have a heatsink)

Gpu : Asus RX580 8gb (might sell)

Psu : EVGA 500 watt 80 plus

Ram : 16gb DDR3 1400mhz

Storage : 1tb Toshiba HDD (currently in main pc)

Motherboard : Generic ASUS pre-built motherboard

So if I have a decent gaming PC and am able to connect everything to my (bad) router using LAN cables, would you say the lag is low enough to play stuff like Rocket League or apex through steam link/moonlight on it?(with a series x controller)

Or do I need a shield for that?

• 3 weeks later...

What power adapter did you guys use I know in the video he says greater than 7.5 Watts I got one that was like 18 and it says it won't work

Is there a way to get USB audio devices working? I have tried using a Jabra Headset but cannot get audio output, it only goes through the TV, I tried disabling automatic USB audio device routing in developer options but had no luck and no prompts to switch audio devices after plugging in.

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2020 at 12:04 PM, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Buy Google Chromecast with Google TV

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/VDhiu

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/2BFJMDj

8 minutes ago, Bruno Lodi said:

Can someone leave the link for the dongle that Linus recommended in the video?

John Wall Explains the Origin of His "Bruh" Meme, Reveals the Perfect Time  to Use It

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2021 at 6:17 PM, Bruno Lodi said:

Can someone leave the link for the dongle that Linus recommended in the video?

Did you ever get the model of this dongle?