Disadvantages of Buying A Gaming Laptop For School?

I've been searching for a reliable, future-proof laptop that I could use for my undergrad and I'm stuck between a business focused laptop such as the (ThinkPad P-series, 4750U, 16GB Ram, 512SSD) or gaming laptops such as the (HP Omen, 4800H, 16GB Ram, 512SSD, Graphics card). The prices are very similar, what would you recommend going with that would last at least 4 years of school?

Do not buy a gaming laptop for school

You'll have a mediocre battery, a heavier than normal system, and one that will (most likely) be too big for most desks

What type of work are you doing?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Do not buy a gaming laptop for school

You'll have a mediocre battery, a heavier than normal system, and one that will (most likely) be too big for most desks

What type of work are you doing?

Yea the terrible battery life is pushing me away, they also seem to not have the best build quality. 

I am a freshman in computer engineering so I haven't really been exposed to what work we'll be doing, but there is going to be a lot of coding and I know that we will eventually get into some CAD work for simulations and such. 

The ThinkPad is a much better option if your going to have a lot of back to back classes or commute to school and need to be able to have more than 6 hours without charging. I also wouldn't expect to be able to anything graphically demanding in terms of gaming. With the HP Omen you have nice graphics cards options, but your going to have a much heavier laptop and can't expect more than 6 hours of battery life (according ot the site it like 6 hours and 15mins or so on battery saver mode) If your confident you have plenty of time to charge your laptop between classes, and you'll be able to haul it around campus without damaging it I would go with the HP Omen, however if your gonna need a longer battery life the ThinkPad is the better option, its also lighter, and is more focused towards certain productivity features rather than pure gaming that make it appealing for college.

10 minutes ago, z123killer said:

Yea the terrible battery life is pushing me away, they also seem to not have the best build quality. 

build quality yes, some of them like the asus A15 have a bigger (90Wh) battery, then you can disable the dGPU and use the iGPU if you want it to last longer.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Don't get a gaming laptop for school work. No one wants to be partnered with the kid who's laptop dies in the middle of a project or study session.

Lenovo is a good choice, some of Dell's laptops also have excellent battery life.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The only gaming laptop that I would get for school would be the Zephyrus G14, or a Razer Blade. I'd recommend a laptop that you can use for coding and web browsing, and a powerful desktop PC. 

They run hot

Theyre overpriced

Have crap battery life

Terrible cooling

The shortest lifespan of any device next to cellphones

Proprietary hardware and software that becomes unsuppored less than a year leaving you witha mess of a device manager.

Dont buy a gaming laptop even for gaming, theyre all junk

16 minutes ago, z123killer said:

I am a freshman in computer engineering so I haven't really been exposed to what work we'll be doing, but there is going to be a lot of coding and I know that we will eventually get into some CAD work for simulations and such. 

As others have said, the thinkpad is a great option. Seeing your work though, I'd make sure you have enough space to dual boot with linux/windows or make sure you have enough memory to run VMs of linux.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

9 minutes ago, Slottr said:

As others have said, the thinkpad is a great option. Seeing your work though, I'd make sure you have enough space to dual boot with linux/windows or make sure you have enough memory to run VMs of linux.

Thank you, I am thinking about getting the 512GB SSD incase I need to dual boot, and 16GB of RAM, would that be enough? With the Thinkpad I could always upgrade the specs later on if needed as well.

Also what's your opinion on warranties? upgrading the warranty to 3 years is only $90.

Just now, z123killer said:

Thank you, I am thinking about getting the 512GB SSD incase I need to dual boot, and 16GB of RAM, would that be enough? With the Thinkpad I could always upgrade the specs later on if needed as well.

Yes, at 16 you'll be more than fine.

If your classes require more out of a machine for some CAD stuff, there will probably be a workstation or two on campus.

Just get a g14, its great value, and basically perfect except there is no webcam. If not then razer blade 13 or 15

Just now, Shadowkeep757 said:

Just get a g14, its great value, and basically perfect except there is no webcam. If not then razer blade 13 or 15

Don't the g14s have a lot of issues right now? 

@emosun is on the dot, i wouldnt expect any "gaming" sorta laptop to last 4 years of college, running around and doing stuff. i used one for my first year of college and ended up keeping it in my dorm 24/7 cause it was heavy as fuck, ran really hot and loud with just a 1050ti and an i5, and had maybe 4 hours of battery life without even gaming or doing any sort of work. and despite keeping it in my dorm 24/7 it still died and i had to rma it, leaving me without a pc for a month right before midterms. so yeah, get a thinkpad or xps, something that is fully field-serviceable and not laden down with a shit ton of bloatware and crap. my mom's old thinkpad (wooo ibm) that she got for college 15 years ago is still chugging along, if they still made the batteries for the damn thing it'd be totally usable even today. 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Gaming laptop is heavy and loud, not ideal to carry on your back. Not to mention the short battery life.

What you need is an ultrabook. I think the thinkpad is good enough.

The Macbook M1 looks promising, if you're into apple products.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I'd say get the AMD T14. There's only one non-soldered RAM slot but that's better than nothing. Wasn't this way before the T490 and hoping they reverse that.

6 minutes ago, panzersharkcat said:

I'd say get the AMD T14. There's only one non-soldered RAM slot but that's better than nothing. Wasn't this way before the T490 and hoping they reverse that.

Yes the one I'm looking at is the P14s, exact same as the T14, the P14s is just slightly cheaper for some reason.

Yes, short battery life will not be fun for school. I recently sold my gaming laptop I bought for school because the battery life was horrible. I bought a simple Dell Inspiron instead, should give me around 7-9 hours of battery. 

The main problem for gaming laptops in general is still weight. Battery life isn't an issue anymore since there are some models that has decent battery life

If you don't game often, better stick with non gaming options. As a student myself I would advice you to get a lighter laptop if you often carry the laptop around (not sure how often it will be now due to covid). You will appreciate the lower weight

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 11/21/2020 at 11:32 AM, emosun said:

They run hot

Theyre overpriced

Have crap battery life

Terrible cooling

The shortest lifespan of any device next to cellphones

Proprietary hardware and software that becomes unsuppored less than a year leaving you witha mess of a device manager.

Dont buy a gaming laptop even for gaming, theyre all junk

I disagree here. Not all laptops are like that.

People buy gaming laptops because they have no choice. In my case I need a portable PC but I also game often. So stop saying gaming laptops are junk.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 11/21/2020 at 11:58 AM, panzersharkcat said:

That's the main thing that's putting me off from buying it. Lenovo's trying to make more money, so they force people to buy their overpriced soldered RAM, while also adding planned obsolescence at the same time.

People buy Thinkpads because they want a reliable, durable machine that lasts. If I wanted a crappy throwaway disposable laptop, I'd get a damn Macbook.