CPU WAS YANKED OFF WITH AIO

Hi Everyone 

I was in the middle of transferring my PC components to my new case, and had the last piece to remove, the actual AIO Block. Ummm, so yeah. The CPU was yanked off with the entire block thanks to the hardened thermal paste (AMD). Thankfully, pins are all okay as far as physical goes. 

Does anyone know of a way to remove the CPU safely with damaging the actual pins or CPU itself? 

I’m freaking out 😂image.thumb.jpg.ccd7efc40433f158122bf5664ed9ce9e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.ab3a576d77584e4016d9898c781298ae.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.bdafc447643471a2175d5c609107eb6f.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.5070d632c5a3d25676a7ee8b77fe5eb1.jpg

If still in motherboard:

Make sure the thermal paste is warm (e.g. make the CPU run hot) so it is more slippery.

If not:

Make it warm somehow and then wiggle it off.

Floss works too.

elephants

Just twist it off, this happens often with AMD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Make sure the thermal paste is warm (e.g. make the CPU run hot) so it is more slippery. Then, make sure it is fully detached and wiggle it off.

Well, I wish I knew that. Its been off since yesterday. And pc is completely disassembled 

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

If still in motherboard:

Make sure the thermal paste is warm (e.g. make the CPU run hot) so it is more slippery.

If not:

Make it warm somehow and then wiggle it off.

Floss works too.

Hair dryer ok?

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Just twist it off, this happens often with AMD.

is this okay with my big fingers? Feel like its going to crack

6 minutes ago, SamtheMan101 said:

You can push it off with a knife or something else flat instead too.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, SamtheMan101 said:

just make sure you do this in a safe spot, slowly twist the cpu back and forth while you have a firm grip on the edges so that when it pops off it doesn't go flying

i mean id probably just use a screwdriver and pry it off, just dont be violent with it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Ok so its off now. Theres some paste on the side and some on the pins. Not sure what to do. Can i put isopropyl alcohol on the pins? Is that okay? image.thumb.jpg.b944b9552a7dac3f67cf251a2b895981.jpg

This is bringing me back to them Socket 478 days.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, SamtheMan101 said:

Ok so its off now. Theres some paste on the side and some on the pins. Not sure what to do. Can i put isopropyl alcohol on the pins? Is that okay?

You can use isopropyl fairly safely, although personally I wouldn't immerse it in it. If you are using something to try to wipe the paste away make sure it is very soft so you don't accidentally bend the pins, but if you can I'd try to just spray it off with the isopropyl alcohol and then let it evaporate. Don't hesitate to take a break if you're getting too stressed out, it's a fairly stressful event

I hope nothing got screwed up on the pin side of things. Lightly swapped with a dab of isopropyl alcohol on the side of the pins, removed most of the paste. Hopefully it works out, otherwise I’m screwed lol no money for a CPU anytime soon. image.thumb.jpg.092feb05bcbb7c3c27df495a3d10a1bb.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.c78bb9711d72a18b23589d7b5b7da11d.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.0144424ffd0a8e10dec8af881c1093f8.jpg

Just twist it off (carefully) . Also maybe use a hairdryer or something to warm it up a bit maybe (but try not to burn it up lol) This never happened to me, AMD or not weird. (I also never installed or deinstalled an Intel, their coolers are absolutely nightmare fuel) 

Also why did you use "AMD" paste?  

Edit: sorry I'm late 😜

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, SamtheMan101 said:

I hope nothing got screwed up on the pin side of things. Lightly swapped with a dab of isopropyl alcohol on the side of the pins, removed most of the paste. Hopefully it works out, otherwise I’m screwed lol no money for a CPU anytime soon. 

Run a thin card between the rows of pins in both directions. I use my library card because the pins are closer than older AmD processors you could use a thicker credit card with. 

Wiggle the card gently back and forth till it slides smoothly through. This will help straighten any wavy rows.

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Just twist it off (carefully) . Also maybe use a hairdryer or something to warm it up a bit maybe (but try not to burn it up lol) This never happened to me, AMD or not weird. (I also never installed or deinstalled an Intel, their coolers are absolutely nightmare fuel) 

Also why did you use "AMD" paste?  

apologies i rushed my text because I was panicking. The thermal paste was from the NZXT X62 Kraken Pre-applied. It was 2 years ago. Since then, I have understood pre-applied paste IMO is not really the best way to go. 

Hi Everyone. I can call the Case and CPU Cooler a success. Upgraded from a NZXT X62 240mm radiator to a Dark Rock Pro 4, and a NZXT H510 Case to a Bequiet pure base 500. 

Thankfully, nothing went wrong with the CPU, ran a few tests and everything seems phenomenal. Setup is quiet with all be quiet pure wings 3 at low rpms and low thermals around the 50s and 60s at 1080p. 

thanks to everyone who helped and wish you a good weekend. 

(obligatory post built pics) image.thumb.jpg.8da01b5aa386c42db5cca1eee556e0f7.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.433b4333f4158881f36d389ee83668d1.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.a3dd7241784680b9987a849fe4334ad1.jpg

8 minutes ago, SamtheMan101 said:

(obligatory post built pics) 

Pretty dope setup you got there, that triple monitor setup especially

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

25 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Pretty dope setup you got there, that triple monitor setup especially

Quite expensive. Next time I’ll go for q Ultrawide 4k Curved Monitor. Each monitor cost 350$ or so in Australia dollaroos. Not including the mounting hardware and extra long display port cables needed ahah.

The CPU coming out with the cooler is quite common with AMD.

Literally when you put the CPU into the socket, and push the lever down, it slides sideways slightly, and grips the pins with friction.

Best is to NOT remove the CPU while when the system is cold.

What I mean, it don't remove the CPU when the system has been powered off for a long time.

Instead, let the system idle on Desktop for ~30 minutes, run a game or stress test for 15 ~ 20 minutes, so it warms up the thermal paste.

Shut the system down, and while the heatsink / CPU / thermal paste is still warm-ish, use that time to remove the CPU.

The heatsink / CPU cooler should just come right off, or should just twist off.

Learned that the first time with my socket AM2 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (when I decided to swap it with a Athlon 64 X2 6000+).

I think it happened once with my Phenom II X6 1090T...but that was it.

Phenon II X4 955, Phenom II X6 1090T, FX-8350, nope, CPU stayed in place every time I take the CPU cooler off.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>