How to use disc games?

Been 7+years I haven't bought or really used an physical game disc, except for occasional retro Wii gaming. Gone all digital, so ummmm, on XSX, do you need to insert the disc to play a game once it is already installed inside the console?

Yes. Any game that you do not own digitally and you installed through a physical disc on your console, you must insert the disc to play it. It will tell you if you try to play the game without the disc.

10 minutes ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

Occasional retro Wii gaming.

PC games on optical discs typically install what it needs to run the game, and then takes files from the disc.

Also, since when are Wiis retro? They aren't even 15 years old!

elephants

7 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Yes. Any game that you do not own digitally and you installed through a physical disc on your console, you must insert the disc to play it. It will tell you if you try to play the game without the disc.

THX, also can you actually transfer disc copy into digital copy? How about the trophy's then, separate of same? 

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

PC games on optical discs typically install what it needs to run the game, and then takes files from the disc.

I know, on PC it is recognized as just another storage medium or so. 

Wii is retro since I haven't touched it in 10 years. And so much memories lol. More ancient games I consider them ancient, or history, or piece or artefact. 

1 minute ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

I know, on PC it is recognized as just another storage medium or so. 

Wii is retro since I haven't touched it in 10 years. And so much memories lol. More ancient games I consider them ancient, or history, or piece or artefact. 

The first Nintendo console I ever used was a Wii. Incidentally, it was released the same year I was born.

Wii Sports Resort Dogfight was so much fun.

elephants

7 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

NO, usually it installs, and then just uses the play disc to see if it is a copy you own, or if it was leant to you. (but now you cna rip the dics to a iso, and win10 nativly mounts isos, so that doesnt really work)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

NO, usually it installs, and then just uses the play disc to see if it is a copy you own, or if it was leant to you. (but now you cna rip the dics to a iso, and win10 nativly mounts isos, so that doesnt really work)

Not how my Grandia II copy works.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Not how my Grandia II copy works.

thats one game. most do the install and check (some games dont even have a play disc, you just jun the install, then it uses the install cd to check, like halo ce)

DVD rom and CD rom were too slow to run a game off of (most of the time) and it was so much better to install to the hdd.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Never have worked that way for all intend and purpose. I copyed it to USB the moment I have done installing back in the day. 

Only exception was a 4 pack disc of MFS 2008 or 2005 I can't remember that after 8 installs refused to install anymore straight up, regardless if you stoped before completing, shut down the computer and whatever other reason it corrupted. However once you did installed it it work like any other app/game with an windows file before the days of proper game launchers.

Just now, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

Never have worked that way for all intend and purpose. I copyed it to USB the moment I have done installing back in the day. 

makes sense. Now ive ripped all of my old cds and dvds to isos. I just run the installer when I want to play, and mount the play disc (if there is one)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

The first Nintendo console I ever used was a Wii. Incidentally, it was released the same year I was born.

I feel old now...

As for op you could always make an ISO of the disk and then mount in a virtual disk drive. I believe windows 10 now has built in utilities for every step IIRC.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

makes sense. Now ive ripped all of my old cds and dvds to isos. I just run the installer when I want to play, and mount the play disc (if there is one)

It wasn't even ISO, I straight copied the file to USB. 

- Well, some I have to ISO it and run and then copy the file however I've encounter less of those types. 

19 minutes ago, trag1c said:

I feel old now...

25 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

(some games dont even have a play disc, you just jun the install, then it uses the install cd to check, like halo ce)

Hehe, my first ever transfer to USB was Halo CE.

Edit: The original Halo CE. Where Cortana is still a corky teen. 

1 minute ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

Hehe, my first ever transfer to USB was Halo CE.

I no disc cracked my copy a bit ago, so I gont even need to have a usb or iso.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I no disc cracked my copy a bit ago, so I gont even need to have a usb or iso.

I just bought the Master Chief collection on steam lol. I would have done what you did with my old copy of CE but then I seen they had all the others on PC...

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Just now, trag1c said:

I just bought the Master Chief collection on steam lol. I would have done what you did with my old copy of CE but then I seen they had all the others on PC...

I want to buy mcc, if just to play halo 3.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I want to buy mcc, if just to play halo 3.

I would highly recommend it. Me and my 2 brothers have been having a blast doing the legendary play through in chronological order starting from reach. We're just about to finish off #3 lol.

1 minute ago, trag1c said:

I would highly recommend it. Me and my 2 brothers have been having a blast doing the legendary play through in chronological order starting from reach. We're just about to finish off #3 lol.

Yeah, I guess ill be putting my new pc on the side for me to get the 40$ for mcc (or ill do a GP subscription). But its only 40, should it shouldnt be too much of a delay for case and psu.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yeah, I guess ill be putting my new pc on the side for me to get the 40$ for mcc (or ill do a GP subscription). But its only 40, should it shouldnt be too much of a delay for case and psu.

Considering that these games would have $60+ each when they came out $40 is pretty reasonable.

Just now, trag1c said:

Considering that these games would have $60+ each when they came out $40 is pretty reasonable.

yeah, but I really want a upgrade for my pc. And also Im in Middle school, so I dont, ya know, have a job.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, trag1c said:

The fun and run once you go through the story with the still corky teen Cortana. Was the speedrunning with all the bugs, unfortunately it has been patched up with the remasters 

5 minutes ago, trag1c said:

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

yeah, but I really want a upgrade for my pc. And also Im in Middle school, so I dont, ya know, have a job.

Considering I can't get parts for my upgrades right now, I'd say go for it. Most of it don't require that powerful of a machine, so you can enjoy it while wait a bit to upgrade your PC. I see no dramatic overlap or conflict here. 

14 minutes ago, trag1c said:

I got the MCC back when it launched or a bit after, so it haven't had reach yet back then........I think I never really played reach that much actually. Only outlier in the franchise I haven't touched too much. I dunno if MS store has it, added later, as I bough it there. 

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Just wait till you're on your own and you have to decide between computer parts and feeding your self hahaha. Enjoy it while it can!