Toilet Seat Cover Replacement and Installation?

paulyron

Hi. Just recently I broke my toilet seat cover while using it. Lifted it up a bit hard and it broke. I googled toilet seat repair on google and from what I read, installing a toilet seat is one of the easiest Do it Yourself things out there right? 

First thing I notice is it ask if you either have a round or eloquent toilet seat. I was at the store not long ago and took a look at toilet seat covers and it looked like there were two different sizes. I see the toilet I have is more like an oval... as oppose to completely round... so that means I would buy the eloquent toilet seat right? Online it tells you to measure it but from looking at my toilet, it is definitely like an oval and not completely round.

I also saw in the toilet seat packaging, some of them had screws in them which seem to have the complete set... but some other ones...there doesn't seem to be any thing with it as screws. Is that normal? Shouldn't a toilet seat when you buy it have all the screws necessary for you to to install it? Surprised some had screws and a few white objects but others had nothing.

Also, what exact tool do I need to install a toilet seat? Do I need to buy a specific tool for it? I checked online and it seems like I need to buy a specific tool for it? I do have a friend that I know that has a toolbox full of tools so I could ask him to see if he has but what is the tool called? Thanks.

10 hours ago, paulyron said:

Hi. Just recently I broke my toilet seat cover while using it. Lifted it up a bit hard and it broke. I googled toilet seat repair on google and from what I read, installing a toilet seat is one of the easiest Do it Yourself things out there right? 

First thing I notice is it ask if you either have a round or eloquent toilet seat. I was at the store not long ago and took a look at toilet seat covers and it looked like there were two different sizes. I see the toilet I have is more like an oval... as oppose to completely round... so that means I would buy the eloquent toilet seat right? Online it tells you to measure it but from looking at my toilet, it is definitely like an oval and not completely round.

I also saw in the toilet seat packaging, some of them had screws in them which seem to have the complete set... but some other ones...there doesn't seem to be any thing with it as screws. Is that normal? Shouldn't a toilet seat when you buy it have all the screws necessary for you to to install it? Surprised some had screws and a few white objects but others had nothing.

Also, what exact tool do I need to install a toilet seat? Do I need to buy a specific tool for it? I checked online and it seems like I need to buy a specific tool for it? I do have a friend that I know that has a toolbox full of tools so I could ask him to see if he has but what is the tool called? Thanks.

Yep it’s pretty easy.  Hardware stores generally accept returns so it is common to buy several if you aren’t sure.  Neither design is truly round.  The oblong ones tent to have a more pointed front.  Small bathrooms and apartments are more likely to have the round type.  The tool is most commonly an adjustable crescent wrench.  Sometimes a large flathead screwdriver as well.  There are two thick bolts.  It varies a lot by model. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Toilet seat bolts on

Different shape toilets require different shape seats, eye ball your toilet then head to store and eyeball the seat.

Easy.

18 hours ago, paulyron said:

Brooooooo....... if you have this many questions about something like installing a toilet seat i'm scared to ask about if you know how to scramble eggs for breakfast 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😂

But seriously it really is like the easiest thing there is to do.

if you want to get specific you can measure the one you have and go to home depot/lowes and buy one with similar size, or like 99% of us do just eyeball that shit :) 

Once you have your new seat the removal of the old one is pretty straight forward, lower the seat and locate the bolts holding it down in the back by the hinge, sometimes they have decorative covers just pop off with your finger. you'll see usually a phillips screw (that's the cross tip one that looks like a + sign) [but from time to time i have come across a flathead and even a 13mm bolt] on the top there, and on the bottom is usually some sort of plastic nut.

Sometimes the nut is crazy tight and needs to be held with a pair of pliers while you use a screwdriver on the top, other times your fingers work just fine, simply unscrew it and repeat on the other side.

In the new seat locate the hardware, it should be relatively similar to what you just removed and repeat the removal process but in reverse.

See? easy peasy 🤘🍻🍻

On 11/5/2020 at 11:32 PM, paulyron said:

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Don't sweat it dude, it is easy to do.

Just look at your old seat and get one the same shape.

Usually for tools it is just a screwdriver and maybe a pair of plyers if you have trouble holding the nut.

The plastic bolt and nut are easy to tighten.

🙂

There is a possibility that the seat is not round type or long type (called pear in that video) proprietary seats generally only happen on older or high end toilets and often not even then.  The bolt placement has been standardized for a very long time though so even if a seat doesn’t fit exactly you should be able to get it on. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Definitely get an elongated toilet seat, your gonads will appreciate it. Also try to get one that closes softly so it doesn't slam when you put it down in the middle of the night for the females of the house or males who prefer to pee sitting down, hehe. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Hahaha, well there's a first time for everything I guess...

I'm surprised you don't know how to install them. It's extremely simple. I get new ones every time I move into a new apartment.

It's not eloquent. It's elongated. Eloquent means you're a persuasive speaker.

Get one with screws. Most all come with them, but some are cheap, horrible plastic units and some use considerably better metal ones.

For tools, depends what the screws are like. Some use allen keys which are included, some screw heads. If you don't have a multi bit screwdriver, you should invest in one of those regardless. Every home should have one.

My advice - don't cheap out on the cheapest one. Get something a little more expensive, they genuinely are more comfortable.

2 minutes ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Definitely get an elongated toilet seat, your gonads will appreciate it. Also try to get one that closes softly so it doesn't slam when you put it down in the middle of the night for the females of the house or males who prefer to pee sitting down, hehe. 

You can't just pick. They're designed for different bowls.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Hahaha, well there's a first time for everything I guess...

I'm surprised you don't know how to install them. It's extremely simple. I get new ones every time I move into a new apartment.

It's not eloquent. It's elongated. Eloquent means you're a persuasive speaker.

Get one with screws. Most all come with them, but some are cheap, horrible plastic units and some use considerably better metal ones.

For tools, depends what the screws are like. Some use allen keys which are included, some screw heads. If you don't have a multi bit screwdriver, you should invest in one of those regardless. Every home should have one.

My advice - don't cheap out on the cheapest one. Get something a little more expensive, they genuinely are more comfortable.

You can't just pick. They're designed for different bowls.

Oh yeah, if it doesn't support it then it's time to upgrade. Just like PC's!

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Just now, Gix7Fifty said:

Oh yeah, if it doesn't support it then it's time to upgrade. Just like PC's!

Lol that's definitely not worth the cost of installing a new bowl.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Lol that's definitely not worth the cost of installing a new bowl.

Was to me, I did all mine in my house. My friends have also done it. Even a lot of times you can get rebates for new toilets because they use less water per flush. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

damn. Wish we had power by our toilet. 

I can't bring myself to do it. Having grown up with horses and electric fences.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 hours ago, Gix7Fifty said:

tried that.  Didn’t work.  I even went all the way and bought an industrial one with the missing front (made of better material mostly)   You don’t get less cramped gonads, You get. “Holy wow that ceramic is cold!” Gonads.  The slow close thing in the hinge I know nothing about.

On 11/7/2020 at 2:07 PM, Donut417 said:

damn. Wish we had power by our toilet. 

W.C. Fields very famously kept his library in the bathroom.  Any outlet near water is expensive.  It could be run possibly, but getting an outlet in there could cost what a new computer would in tradesman time.  Parts a lot less, but there’s a reason they’re expensive.  Water conducts electricity.

On 11/6/2020 at 3:55 PM, airborne spoon said:

Brooooooo....... if you have this many questions about something like installing a toilet seat i'm scared to ask about if you know how to scramble eggs for breakfast 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😂

But seriously it really is like the easiest thing there is to do.

So true, but hey thats what Linus TT is about.

Want to update on this.  I bought a toilet seat... its the elongated one as I was pretty sure my toilet was not round.   When i tried to install it...it looked very confusing because the pieces it came with... looked a bit different than what i saw on youtube.  Also... it did not help there were no instructions... it was like a picture of it but it didn't really help much.

I borrowed a friends screwdriver and it didn't even screw in.  But after a while, I got it to work and had to basically keep turning the thing in the underpart of the toilet seat and it seemed to tighten up.

So is this normal... that you don't need a screwdriver or tool to install a toilet seat?  I was using a screwdriver the entire time and wondering why it wouldn't screw in at all, then I did some trial and error and all it required was me to keep turning the bottom part of the thing under the long piece to tighten it.  So is that normal?

4 hours ago, paulyron said:

Want to update on this.  I bought a toilet seat... its the elongated one as I was pretty sure my toilet was not round.   When i tried to install it...it looked very confusing because the pieces it came with... looked a bit different than what i saw on youtube.  Also... it did not help there were no instructions... it was like a picture of it but it didn't really help much.

I borrowed a friends screwdriver and it didn't even screw in.  But after a while, I got it to work and had to basically keep turning the thing in the underpart of the toilet seat and it seemed to tighten up.

So is this normal... that you don't need a screwdriver or tool to install a toilet seat?  I was using a screwdriver the entire time and wondering why it wouldn't screw in at all, then I did some trial and error and all it required was me to keep turning the bottom part of the thing under the long piece to tighten it.  So is that normal?

Yes and no.  Doing them finger tight is fine, and they can often be removed that way as well.  Not always though

It’s 2020 so buy soft close if you can, they are life changing

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

17 hours ago, paulyron said:

there were no instructions

Its pretty basic and simple to figure out how a toilet seat goes on a toilet.