what are these rare passively cooled cases?

Ashley MLP Fangirl

so i got some computers for free recently, and among the parts where these 2. 

image0.jpg

now, i can presume age as these cases have no front usb at all and the systems in them are dated (AM2 and AM3), so i can guess the age, but that's about all i know. i'd love to know more about them, like for example a spec list, if ic an still get parts like the blocks for the cpu and stuff so i can build a newer system in it to cool, what the maximum load is that they can handle, etc etc. if anyone knows anything about these then please let me know :) 

more pictures: 

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

She/Her

After an hour an a half of Googling the top one looks to be the mCubed HFX 510.

Still working on the bottom one...

It looks like the cases are designed to dissipate heat passively outside the computer (with those big black fins). I've seen this approach before only once.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

8 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

* Thread moved to the Cases & Mods sections *

well my question was more specifically about the cooling in the cases...

9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

After an hour an a half of Googling the top one looks to be the mCubed HFX 510.

Still working on the bottom one...

did you find any like industry standard or something for the cooling? rated TDP's that it can handle that kind of thing?

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

It looks like the cases are designed to dissipate heat passively outside the computer (with those big black fins). I've seen this approach before only once.

yeah i figured that out too, my main thing is i want to build a more modern system in it, something haster than an Athlon X2. but to do that i'd need to know what the tdp's are that it's rated for etc. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

yeah i figured that out too, my main thing is i want to build a more modern system in it, something haster than an Athlon X2. but to do that i'd need to know what the tdp's are that it's rated for etc. 

so from my search I found this article https://www.quietpc.com/hfx-classic-caseonly 

With the case using heatpipes to cool the CPU is it recommended that you choose a CPU that does not generate a large amount of heat. Intel’s new Core 2 Duo CPUs are ideal. The E6300 to E6750 only produce 65 watts(W) as does the E6850 and therefore will be ideal for this type of system, even the X6800 which produces 75W will be fine. Unfortunately the Intel Quad core CPUs generate in excess of 100W and therefore are not recommended.

For AMD uses we recommend the Athlon 64 X2s that use the Brisbane core, these CPUs only produce 65W. Manchester, Toledo and some Windsor cores are not recommended. Alternatively any of the Sempron range will be ideal because they all produce less that 65W.

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

So looking at the product page

https://www.quietpc.com/hfx-classic-caseonly

They're recommending 65W CPUs at max

With the case using heatpipes to cool the CPU is it recommended that you choose a CPU that does not generate a large amount of heat. Intel’s new Core 2 Duo CPUs are ideal. The E6300 to E6750 only produce 65 watts(W) as does the E6850 and therefore will be ideal for this type of system, even the X6800 which produces 75W will be fine.

As for the graphics card, that's going to be tricky. They recommend 8600GTS and HD 2600 XT which are 50 and 60W cards respectively. Unfortunately no respectable card today has that kinda TDP, so I'd advise against running one at all. You can use it as a HTPC / low-end gaming rig with a Ryzen 5 3400G.

I recommend grabbing a Seasonic X-Series Fanless for the PSU, since they're extremely efficient and will not dissipate that much heat, especially with such a low load.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

did you find any like industry standard or something for the cooling? rated TDP's that it can handle that kind of thing?

It uses very old CPU's as a metric due to the age of the chassis but it says 75W CPU's are fine but doesn't recommend 100W or higher. You can probably get away with it though if you're OK with adding some 1200RPM fans to the CPU heatsink.

CPU
With the case using heatpipes to cool the CPU is it recommended that you choose a CPU that does not generate a large amount of heat. Intel’s new Core 2 Duo CPUs are ideal. The E6300 to E6750 only produce 65 watts(W) as does the E6850 and therefore will be ideal for this type of system, even the X6800 which produces 75W will be fine. Unfortunately the Intel Quad core CPUs generate in excess of 100W and therefore are not recommended.

For AMD uses we recommend the Athlon 64 X2s that use the Brisbane core, these CPUs only produce 65W. Manchester, Toledo and some Windsor cores are not recommended. Alternatively any of the Sempron range will be ideal because they all produce less that 65W.

19 minutes ago, Energycore said:

They're recommending 65W CPUs at max

hmm interesting, i can try a Q6600, hopefully that'll stay cool. if not i have a core 2 duo spare. 

20 minutes ago, Energycore said:

which are 50 and 60W cards respectively. Unfortunately no respectable card today has that kinda TDP, so I'd advise against running one at all.

well, i actually have a large collection of older gpu's so i could just grab a 9500GT and run that. but, i also have a GT1030 spare which would be a good match for a core 2 duo, like, that cpu will bottleneck anything faster anyway. 

18 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

It uses very old CPU's as a metric due to the age of the chassis but it says 75W CPU's are fine but doesn't recommend 100W or higher. You can probably get away with it though if you're OK with adding some 1200RPM fans to the CPU heatsink.

i wanna stay fanless just for experimentation. 

22 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I recommend grabbing a Seasonic X-Series Fanless for the PSU, since they're extremely efficient and will not dissipate that much heat, especially with such a low load.

i'm not getting a new psu for just an experimental machine lmao, one of them has that external psu thing, so i could use that...

She/Her

22 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

hmm interesting, i can try a Q6600, hopefully that'll stay cool. if not i have a core 2 duo spare. 

They specifically advise against using Core2 Quads because they're pretty power hungry CPUs. You can try undervolting it though.

well, i actually have a large collection of older gpu's so i could just grab a 9500GT and run that. but, i also have a GT1030 spare which would be a good match for a core 2 duo, like, that cpu will bottleneck anything faster anyway. 

GT1030 is probably low enough power that you can run it yeah

EDIT: it's 30W, that's way lower than recommended spec so it'll be fine

i'm not getting a new psu for just an experimental machine lmao, one of them has that external psu thing, so i could use that...

Oh that works hehe

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

They specifically advise against using Core2 Quads because they're pretty power hungry CPUs. You can try undervolting it though.

when have i ever followed manufacturer advice?

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

when have i ever followed manufacturer advice?

Spoken like a true tech nerd :D

Computer Specs:

Spoiler