New design

kaiju_wars

Just giving some quick feedback.  The new design looks... generic.  It keeps the same basic layout but it just feels like you picked more generic fonts, and just "lets space them out some, or bold them!"  I'm not saying this is necessarily the direction you were going for.  It just feels off to me.  It feels like it's trying to emulate the modern flat design of say... smartphone UIs, but it doesn't have it's own like... take on it.  Plus it mixes some with the old layout/fonts.

Like the top bar, "forums, community standards, all activity" etc etc, that bar.  Still the same design and fonts being used.

But the LTT logo just looks like the most generic font y'all could find, and just BOLD. (this is for Linus Tech Tips spelled out) Then the front page of the forums for example.  Maybe I'm misremembering cause I don't log in every day, but I remember Like subforums would alternate in color on the list.

White, gray, white, gray.

Now it's just all flat white.  
(yes I use the light theme, dark theme on LTT hurts my eyes for some reason).  But now because there's not that gray to contrast with the white, the light theme just seems bright af now, like close to discord light theme colors, and that also hurts my eyes.  (not trying to make this about myself, just using my experience with it cause that's what I got).

Then the little drop down menu for our profile, that has like, settings, allows us to go to our profile, to log out, etc... That's all again, the new generic font, but the profile seems to be (iirc) the old font, so it just, is a stark contrast again.  

I guess I'd say it's the meshing of both designs and fonts, and just the new design looking too generic really is the feedback I'd give.  I'm not wanting to necessarily say, "Just go back to the old design" even though I prefer it to this, but I'd say at least figure out a better way to integrate the new design.  Add your own spin to it, basically. 

Sorry for the long winded post.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I get it, everyone calls it that but it's not a new design at all, just changed some things around such as change the spacing, padding etc creating a lot of literally wasted space which is immediately very noticeable on mobile as you already have pretty limited space there naturally. 

But,  yeah I totally agree otherwise, some odd changes that didn't seem necessary, I wish functionality was improved instead, I kinda have a feeling I still won't be able to edit in quotes on mobile for example (haven't tried that yet tho) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

The logo is just the LTT logo - that's nothing specific to the forum, and I would say less generic than the old plain coloured roboto logo.

All of the font should have been the same, but based on feedback I have changed it back to Helvetica though.

HTTP/2 203

5 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The logo is just the LTT logo - that's nothing specific to the forum, and I would say less generic than the old plain coloured roboto logo.

All of the font should have been the same, but based on feedback I have changed it back to Helvetica though.

I think OP meant LINUS TECH TIPS spelled  out next to the logo, which I agree insofar that it kinda clashes with the font used in the actual logo. Doesn't bother me much but I think it would be actually super cool if it was the same font!?

As for the font size, do you think clearing cache would fix this for me, because it's still pretty tiny here (I rather not clear cache as I got tons of pages open and I'm not sure that would mess them up, but if clearing cache could make the font size bigger again I'd do it obviously!) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I should have clarified, that's my bad.  The LTT logo itself was fine.  It's the spelled out "LINUS TECH TIPS."  I get that it's not specific though.  Just bold and the font choice makes it look generic is all.

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I should have clarified, that's my bad.  The LTT logo itself was fine.  It's the spelled out "LINUS TECH TIPS."  I get that it's not specific though.  Just bold and the font choice makes it look generic is all.

Better?

linustechtips.thumb.png.633877e404bafad979a4040768b970ba.png

/s

Personally I think the current font for the linus tech tips logo looks fine. I have been looking at it for the past few weeks on the beta forum, so maybe it just takes a few days to get used to the different style from the old logo. Unless lots of people dislike it I don't see much point changing it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Better?

/s

Personally I think the current font for the linus tech tips logo looks fine. I have been looking at it for the past few weeks on the beta forum, so maybe it just takes a few days to get used to the different style from the old logo. Unless lots of people dislike it I don't see much point changing it.

perfection /s 

Eh, maybe though, in all honesty.  It's not a huge deal, and like you said, might take a hot second to get used to it is all.

My only other major issue is the taking away of grays as I had stated in my OG post.  I don't mean to re-add all that was taken away.  But the grays helped contrast the white, cause dark theme was just a little too dark for me with too much white of a text that it hurt my eyes.  The new lightmode is basically the same thing now, just all bright white though.  I tried switching to night theme earlier.  I know it seems like I'm just bitching at this point, and I really don't want to force a change if the majority like it.  Just thought I should mention both themes hurt my eyes now lol.  Maybe a happy medium theme or something to be added, I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Better?

/s

For real tho, the letters should be red like the logo. I feel the font is actually fine but there's a pretty strong disconnection between the logo and the lettering, and considering this is the "face" of the forum I'd definitely strive to improve this. 

Either make it the same color (red is fine) or my idea wasn't half bad either imo, make it the same font as the logo. That's cool and "stylish" and there wouldn't be any disconnection either. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

New things need some time to be gotten used to before a fair comparison can be made.

Between the fonts, I think I find the new one (now replaced with the old one) actually easier to read, and I'm able to take in more of what it says at a quick glance as opposed to the old / current font, which I have to focus on more to read what is said.

422863334_LTTfontcomparison.thumb.jpg.ce2460da4c87387ab313f92ea13c4c7b.jpg

Top: temporarily-new font

Bottom: old font / current font

One thing I personally don't like about the new design is that it's perhaps a bit more flat-looking than the old one (which I think was flatter-looking than the older-old one). I don't like the flat style anywhere. I think it's phase-out and not be looked-back on fondly.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

20 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

For real tho, the letters should be red like the logo. I feel the font is actually fine but there's a pretty strong disconnection between the logo and the lettering, and considering this is the "face" of the forum I'd definitely strive to improve this. 

Either make it the same color (red is fine) or my idea wasn't half bad either imo, make it the same font as the logo. That's cool and "stylish" and there wouldn't be any disconnection either. 

The text there is also part of the LTT branding - it's the same text as in the banner on https://www.youtube.com/linustechtips and on the merch. Making the text orange too looks a bit much to me - I think prefer it white

image.png

HTTP/2 203

53 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The text there is also part of the LTT branding - it's the same text as in the banner on https://www.youtube.com/linustechtips and on the merch. Making the text orange too looks a bit much to me - I think prefer it white

image.png

Ah, I see. Well tbh I think it looks way better in orange, the white and orange now are really clashing pretty hard. 

I mean I get it that would be a pretty big change and you'd probably get people complaining about it too, but imo it would be a lot more coherent and this red / orange is somehow very prominent on this site anyway - which I like, I just think like the op said the white LINUS TECH TIPS looks really pretty generic. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Imo  thats worse...

I like it, it's a bit less "disconnected" that way. 

Btw how do you all get that background, mine is just... gray (of course it's gray lol) 

Is it like that on pc? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Btw how do you all get that background, mine is just... gray (of course it's gray lol) 

Is it like that on pc? 

The mobile top bar is just grey, but on desktop there's a background image.

HTTP/2 203

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Is it like that on pc? 

You're honestly not missing much. That background imagine hasn't been updated in years. It might actually be the same one from when the forum began, I can't remember. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

It looks like a little gray was added to the day theme, which IMO helps a lot. I wasn't able to log on for a couple  days, been busy.