I got cheated while purchasing a Bluetooth headset

james_bond

3 months ago I decided to buy a Bluetooth headset. The main purpose of this headset is to watch movies which I play using my Desktop PC.

I deliberately wanted to avoid online stores & wanted to purchase the thing from a local store so that the return process (in case of defects) is

easy. My budget was Rs 1200. I went to a local store & they gave me headset of a brand called HBEE. The price was Rs 1100. After bringing

it home the first thing that I did was I connected it to my USB charger for 12 hrs. Next day when I tested the headset I found that its battery was

defective as it only worked for 15 mins before shutting down automatically. So I went to the shop again & told them about my situation. They asked

me "do you like Samsung" ? I said Yes immediately. This time they gave me a Samsung headset. After bringing it home I found that (a) the sound

quality is great, (b) the battery too is good but (c) its *MONO*. So I went to the store again & told them that this thing is MONO.

They said that this Samsung headset is a "1st Copy" & getting STEREO output is not possible.

I asked what the hell is a "1st Copy". They replied that it not an original Samsung product but a replica.

Has anything like this happened to any of you ?

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

3 minutes ago, james_bond said:

They said that this Samsung headset is a "1st Copy" & getting STEREO output is not possible.

I asked what the hell is a "1st Copy". They replied that it not an original Samsung product but a replica.

No, because selling a clone as a Samsung-product and only telling afterwards that it's not actually Samsung-product would be illegal over here. We have laws against false advertising, we have trademark-laws, we have laws governing warranty etc. You mention the "Rs"-currency, so I guess you're from India or something; don't you have any such laws over there?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, james_bond said:

"Replica"... Where I'm from we call those a knockoff or counterfeit product. They're also illegal to sell in a lot of countries, no idea what India is like though.

Does it have Samsung branding (name or logo?) on it?

1100 Indian Rupees is $14 USD. You get what you pay for. You're not going to get a genuine Samsung bluetooth headphones for $12. Looking at Samsung's website their cheapest bluetooth headphones/earbuds are $130 USD, ten times what you paid. https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/audio/all-audio/?category_features=Bluetooth

Take it back to the store and demand your money back and never shop there again.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I guess you're from India or something; don't you have any such laws over there?

Frankly I don't know but one thing that I do know is the fact that the 2 leading online stores that operate here namely Amazon & Flipkart never sell clones. I have purchased a lot of items from both of these online stores. Buying from a local store was a blunder.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Does it have Samsung branding (name or logo?) on it?

Take it back to the store and demand your money back and never shop there again.

Yes it does have a Samsung logo on both the packaging & the headset itself.

I went to the shop for a replacement but they refuse to consider MONO output as a defect.

I will never shop there again. No doubt about that.

Just now, james_bond said:

I went to the shop for a replacement

Well, there's your mistake. You shouldn't get a replacement because they're just going to give you another piece of fake junk.

Demand a refund. Get your money back.

Does India have laws against selling counterfeit products? Threaten that if they don't give back your money you will report them for selling counterfeit goods (and then after you get your money back report them anyway)

Can you post a picture of the headphones and the packaging? I'm just curious how convincing they are.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, james_bond said:

I went to the shop for a replacement but they refuse to consider MONO output as a defect.

irrelevant if the product they sold you is a counterfeit. I'm sure your consumer affairs (or equivalent) would love to hear that a store is actively providing fake products in exchange for actual defected ones.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Can you post a picture of the headphones and the packaging? I'm just curious how convincing they are.

I tried to search for an English video but couldn't find one but it is not going to matter. Watch this video & you will get an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohuUffB1V60

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

irrelevant if the product they sold you is a counterfeit. I'm sure your consumer affairs (or equivalent) would love to hear that a store is actively providing fake products in exchange for actual defected ones.

I would hazard a guess and say the first ones they bought were also fakes, hence why they didn't work properly.

13 minutes ago, james_bond said:

Yes it does have a Samsung logo on both the packaging & the headset itself

A logo there means jack shit, though. Chinese fakes, for example, happily use other companies' logos and product-names. You need to learn a lesson here: don't trust a logo. Look at the price and ask yourself the question: "if this was a genuine product, would they really be selling it at this low price?" Most of the time, the answer is a very loud "No."

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Saw this all the time traveling through Vietnam and Malaysia, "1st coppy" basically just means counterfeit.

Illegal to sell in most countries, but not illegal to own (in Australia at least)  

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

On 10/30/2020 at 12:15 AM, james_bond said:

HBEE

Never heard of such a brand.

On 10/30/2020 at 12:15 AM, james_bond said:

They probably gave you a known counterfeit.

No its never happened to me as I buy from Bestbuy, Futureshop, M.E., Amazon.

What currency is Rs?

12 hours ago, Orange1 said:

What currency is Rs?

Rs is currency of India.

I bought a lovely Jabra-branded set of earphones on sale once; really good sound.  Working at my current job a couple of years later, I noticed a pair of headphones that was EXACTLY like mine, but didn't have a brand name on it.  After asking permission, I picked them up and checked them out.  No branding, same appearance, about 30% of the weight of the original, and the sound sucked.  Yeah, replicas are a thing...but if what you were sold was represented as an original unit, that's shady and illegal.  If they had said, do you like the LOOKS of Samsung products, they might get away with it.

On 11/1/2020 at 6:08 PM, Orange1 said:

Never heard of such a brand.

They probably gave you a known counterfeit.

No its never happened to me as I buy from Bestbuy, Futureshop, M.E., Amazon.

What currency is Rs?

indian Rupees

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro