Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone else do fake "Touch typing"?

I have realised that I type relatively quickly and without looking at the keyboard, although with a higher error rate than normal touch typists, despite not being trained to touch type in the traditional / proper way.

I kinda hover my fingers over the board, and my left hand almost touch types properly, but my right I poke with my index for all keys, except for my pink which hits return and backspace. I just seem to have become this efficient while using a horrible technique from years and years of typing since I was small. I'd guess that if I didn't make so many mistakes, I'd be around 80-90wpm which isn't half bad but not professional.

Anyone else type kinda quickly but with a very poor and unusual form like this?

2 minutes ago, pipnina said:

me I can't type that well with out looking down but can do ok touch with some errors

Cameras main canon xti Secondary Panasonic GX85 spare Samsung ST68 and nikion s4000

main HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 14GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - 160GB HDD - MSI GT 710 - dual DVD roms 

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD                                                     

storage server - AMD X2 250 - ASUS m4a785-m - 4GB ram - 500GB HDD - 320GB HDD - 80GB HDD                                  

myanimelist

#Muricaparrotgang 

#animepfpgang                                                                                   

"There’s a fine line between perseverance and failure to accept reality'- Tim leatherman

I don't know how you train touch typing honestly lol

I think I might touch type? I don't look at the keyboard and I use all my fingers (maybe the pinkies not so much, except in the cases you've mentioned).

Honestly I think it's not a big deal whether you are a "true" touch typist or not. The only justification I see for a good technique is being comfortable and avoiding strain.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I don't know how you train touch typing honestly lol

I think I might touch type? I don't look at the keyboard and I use all my fingers (maybe the pinkies not so much, except in the cases you've mentioned).

Honestly I think it's not a big deal whether you are a "true" touch typist or not. The only justification I see for a good technique is being comfortable and avoiding strain.

Comfort

Avoiding strain

and S P E E D

My typing pattern is also quite similar to yours. I use 4 fingers of my left hand, I just don't use the left hand's pinky while typing. Whereas, for the right hand, I only use the index finger. It's quite an unusual pattern but still I am able to type without the need to see the keyboard since years and am able to get above 110 wpm easily mostly and my max is 150 wpm though (only in 25 and 50 word challenge) and I am not a professional typist. So far my typing pattern is not a hindrance in my speed but yes, if someone's starting out with a goal to type professionally and reach 300wpms and what not, then yes, this unorthodox style of typing will act as a bottleneck once the person reaches a certain typing limit.

Hey there.

17 minutes ago, pipnina said:

I kinda hover my fingers over the board, and my left hand almost touch types properly, but my right I poke with my index for all keys, except for my pink which hits return and backspace.

Ah, yeah, I used to have sorta the same problem? My left hand types fine (all five fingers), but I used to only use three fingers on my right to type (thumb, index, and middle). Got semi-rid of my right-hand habits by practicing typing tests and exercises regularly -- if you're looking for specifics/suggestions, TypingClub's exercises helped me "correct" my right-hand habits. WPM also went up, from 90 WPM average to a consistent 100-110 WPM.

WPM Graph (From Typing.com):

Slightly outdated, but you get the general idea. Started with around 90 WPM around May-June, then shot up to 100-110 WPM around July-August. On particularly good days, I can hit 120+ WPM. 😁

Spoiler

378274155_TypingTest-1Min(Speed).thumb.png.75e62defd87913bffe754eaacdb7f52f.png

Although, I still can't seem to use my right pinkie to type alphanumeric keys. Only thing it's good for is hitting the enter key or apostrophe key. 😆 Right-side modifier keys are also very ignored on my keyboard. 👀

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksAn Introduction to Custom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

I've been working on improving my technique over the past 2 years or so. Mostly because I'm board at work. I'm still a bit slow and make a bunch of mistakes, but I use to have to look at the keyboard, and I didn't look once while typing this, so I consider that a huge improvement.

BabyBlu (Primary Rig): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ Per Core 5.2Ghz, 5.2Ghz, 5.2Ghz, 5.2Ghz, 5.1Ghz, 5.1Ghz, 5.0Ghz, 5.0Ghz; Cache @ 4.8Ghz; 0 AVX offset
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 CL14 @ 4000Mhz 16-18-18-36
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: 3x ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Monitor: Dell S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165 Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Elite/MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ Per Core 5.0Ghz - 5.0Ghz - 4.9Ghz - 4.8Ghz, Cache @ 4.6Ghz, De-lidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 4x4GB DDR3-2133 CL9 @ 2200Mhz 9-11-10-22
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Gaming ICX
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, With Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 1TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Monitor: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Curved Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: Rosewill RK 9000V2(Cherry MX Blue)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BlackBox (HTPC):

• Intel Core i7 6700 slightly under-volted
  • Asus H110T/CSM Thin Mini-ITX
  • G.Skill 1x8GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM CL16
  • iGPU
  • Akasa Euler Fanless Solid Aluminum THIN Mini ITX Case (passively cooled)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
  • External 120W Power Adaptor
  • 4K TV
  • Passively cooled by the Akasa case. No moving parts!
  • Handheld QWERTY keyboard and trackpad.
  • Windows 10 Pro, Kodi autostarts on boot

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

I had to take typing courses in high school, so the home row keys are hammered hard into my thick skull.  From there I've memorized on a good ol' QWERTY, where each key is.  That helped me with both speed and accuracy.  I know simply by feel and location where each key is.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) with Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack+4x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Reds added | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |

Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

my right pinkie is literally useless except for hitting enter and backspace and single quote, have to bend my index/middle/ring finger back to hit ,./

number row is impossible for me to type on with "normal" typing positions. I have to lift my fingers up and poke at them to hit them accurately.

did a quick test and my wpm is 65-70 today not my best but is eh

to me, if someone uses more than 2 fingers on each hand, it's acceptable to me...hunt and peck with index and thumb for space bar hurts when I see it.

edit: feel like I should add that some typing tests/lessons have things that you would actually never or very rarely type in practise, like "rfrfr asdj ghslk" THOSE AREN'T WORDS!!

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .'''''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY OR DI  |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,................'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+ mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+ dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/ yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+ ++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN ..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o ``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

people trained in '10-finger typing' often say that i type "wrong", but essentially i just ignored all typing classes where one learns how to type in the super-realistic scenario of having a sheet of paper over your hands..

i've mostly just 'learned by experience to type quickly using 'most' of my fingers, and i guess its a case of muscle memory more than specific rules of which key is pressed by which finger. there's some obvous "rule breaking", like using my right hand for G and V, and only really ever using left shift. for me, fact of the matter is, that whatever way you type quickest/most comfortable, is the way you should type, not by some kind of imagined ruleset.

also funny to add that i can type without looking at my keyboard, but i get completely off angle if i dont have the sides of the keyboard and the position of my hands within vision.

i'm blind as a bat so i cant read any of the keys without specificly shifting focus, but not seeing it at all means my hands "drift".

If you can type well, who gives a shit if you're doing it the "muh muh proper" way?

I average 130-140wpm or so (depends on the keyboard I'm using and what I'm typing, so it's hard to give a proper average, but whatever) but I've got some small quirks with my typing, such as hitting backspace with my ring finger and never using right shift (who tf uses right shift? I genuinely dont' know a single person who does).

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ee58e10183875a877c99fc962bad5357.png

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

Not the best touch typer but I am alright at it

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

I type with only two fingers, left index finger and right index finger

I am quite fast tbh