I just fried every SATA & Molex device...

So i switched from a Chiefsonic 550W modular SFX Power Supply to a Corsair 750W modular SFX Power Supply. 

I thought that the cables between power supplys are interchangable and my cables were all tied down nicely. They fit perfectly in the new Corsair PSU. After turning on my Computer i was wondering why my CPU was overheating. Long story short, i figured out that my pump was not voting. So i got a Multimeter and checked voltages, 5V on 12V lane and the other way round. SHIT

I quickly installed the original Corsair cables and at least the pump was running now. My 2tb SSD, 256gb Boot SSD, 3tb HDD and Farbwerk 360 Controller are dead now :(

Any chance of saving any data from the SSDs, do they have some sort of fuse? Who is at fault here? Chiefsonic or Corsair? Arent these cable following a norm? Only my M.2 survived this simple Power Supply swap :(

You're at fault because power supply cables are NEVER interchangeable between brands at the very least and in at least some cases not even between different series in the same brand.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Data recovery services should be able to get data back from some of those atleast. There is a good chance that the flash chips are fine, and only th epower delivery on the board is dead. This won't be cheap though. Its probably in the thousands to get all the drives data. 

Im guessing you don't have backups, right?

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You're at fault because power supply cables are NEVER interchangeable between brands at the very least and in at least some cases not even between different series in the same brand.

Learned the hard way i guess :(

Just now, CrossCroissant said:

Learned the hard way i guess :(

Yah, it really sucks but everyone gotta be special with how they do things on the PSU side :(

They are "standard" on the output side but if you wire things up different on the PSU side then obviously the output will be different. I would say you're lucky it was only the sata/molex stuff that got hit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, CrossCroissant said:

Any chance of saving any data from the SSDs, do they have some sort of fuse?

There may or may not be. Alas, even if there was a fuse, it'd be a really tiny SMD-one and you'd need good tools and skills to find the fuse and replace it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

F

Sorry, no other way of saying it. You’re going to have to get a data recovery service involved if you want to see that data again.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

There may or may not be. Alas, even if there was a fuse, it'd be a really tiny SMD-one and you'd need good tools and skills to find the fuse and replace it.

Sata drives powered right from the PSU. No fuses. Likely F'd all the data drives unless the PSU has a breaker and it saved the drives, but doubtful.

Bummer. :(

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Sata drives powered right from the PSU. No fuses

How is the fact that they're getting power from the PSU relevant as to whether they have fuses or not?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

20 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

You're lucky you didn't fry you board, GPU, and cpu.

Damn,

after i realised what was going on i instantly switched all cables... Thank god for the rest of my system surviving ._.

The SATA ssd runs on 3.3v and other lower voltages, so there's a voltage regulator or several voltage regulators inside which may die due to over voltage (12v when they can handle most likely up to 5.5v or 6v max).

Could be a fuse inside died ,could be the regulator failed. In theory you could work around the failed regulator to get the ssd to work, if the over voltage didn't damage things further

Mechanical drives in fact will have some fuses so you may be able to get them working again .. also some tvs diodes which may break at too high voltage, so simply removing the diodes from the circuit board could get the drive working again.

See for example:

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The SATA ssd runs on 3.3v and other lower voltages, so there's a voltage regulator or several voltage regulators inside which may die due to over voltage (12v when they can handle most likely up to 5.5v or 6v max).

Could be a fuse inside died ,could be the regulator failed. In theory you could work around the failed regulator to get the ssd to work, if the over voltage didn't damage things further

Mechanical drives in fact will have some fuses so you may be able to get them working again .. also some tvs diodes which may break at too high voltage, so simply removing the diodes from the circuit board could get the drive working again.

See for example:

Thoses videos are super helpful. Thank you very much. 

I just openend my Micron 1100 SSD, those are hardcore SMD components. Tomorrow at work im checking out the components with a magnifier and proper equipment. Im just hoping that there was a tiny fuse on the right spot. At the moment i can not see any burn marks etc.

20201019_225449.jpg

33 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

How is the fact that they're getting power from the PSU relevant as to whether they have fuses or not?

I thought we where talking about the mainboard, but nothing was really specified and I'm also not a mind reader.

1 hour ago, CrossCroissant said:

Thoses videos are super helpful. Thank you very much. 

I just openend my Micron 1100 SSD, those are hardcore SMD components. Tomorrow at work im checking out the components with a magnifier and proper equipment. Im just hoping that there was a tiny fuse on the right spot. At the moment i can not see any burn marks etc.

20201019_225449.jpg

Typically the fuses are like pure white, not a beige color. 

If there are, it looks like they would be on the under side of the PCB. 

Well, there's a voltage regulator right there in the picture, but the serious stuff is most likely on the other side of the board

See pic below ... the black rectangle is the voltage regulator IC with a built in mosfet or diode, to the right is inductor, input capacitor is most likely the bigger one at top and output is the bottom one (but it could be reversed)

The two rows of ceramic capacitors are bulk energy storage, giving the ssd controller enough energy to dump all the stuff from that micron 1 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz chip into the flash memory chips.

The other side probably has some fuses or zener diodes by the sata power connector contacts and some other voltage regulators.

On the bottom in the picture, most likely the small chip in left bottom corner is some eeprom (with the firmware for the ssd, or settings for the chip to the right) and the chip to the right is a small 8 bit microcontroller, a msp430 ... no idea why they'd use one on a ssd.

You can see some of those 0 ohm resistors / jumper links / fuses on the other side in this video at around 3:00

You can also see 2 voltage regulators on the bottom edge on that other side ... you can spot them by being group of black chip + gray inductor square/round thing + ceramic (cream) capacitors nearby

If the fuses/jumper resistors are open, they can be replaced... if regulator chips are blown, in theory they can be replaced, or you could just figure the configured voltage on the output and just put there the expected voltage by using a separate power supply (for example soldering the + and - wires of that separate power supply to the output capacitor of the dead regulators)

image.png.34a40eb07e64865db098c2487de2f415.png

So, fault tracing beginns. I started with making some more quality fotos. I did not research anything yet, but keep this post/thread updated. After identifying possibly defective components, i will start to check those.

20201020_080318.thumb.jpg.93d1ea69eb4fb09a3cef7a71fba4a04f.jpg20201020_080727.thumb.jpg.1b14f350e67a70334fc82635f8836f6a.jpg

I checked a few resistors, some of them act as jumpers, other has pretty specific values like 4700Ohm or 10kOhm. I did not find a faulty one or some weird numbers. The blue thingys has either ~15kOhm oder >170kOhm. Could those things be blown fuses? Those are sitting close to the voltage regulator. (see picture below, marked red)

grafik.png.024308f417d848ce25adc3adbe3eedfe.png

Furthermor i checked my 3,5 HDD and "repaired" a blown fuse (those were easier to locate, i shorted it). Besides the fuse a 3pin voltage regulator was blown. Any idea which part i need to replace? I could get a new HDD Controller Board vom AliExpress and restore the data via software (hope atleast so). But repairing it all by myself would feel like a much greater success.

grafik.png.eebbc89fad5609f91f5ba0f501418d2a.pngHDD in total
grafik.png.577463e3958a439713b25db6d060df6c.png
Blown voltage regulator... Text is "XZ" or so...