"‘Netflix for pirates’ brings streaming video to BitTorrent users"

TopWargamer

ehh its slow

its basically using "streaming" method that was launched some time ago on bittorent clients

nothing special

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Wow, this makes pirating way too easy. O.o

ehh its slow

Once I finally got it started (it kept getting stuck at the "connecting" phase) it didn't have to buffer at all, I have to give the devs some credit.

ehh its slow

its basically using "streaming" method that was launched some time ago on bittorent clients

nothing special

Works fine for me... When I launch movie it buffers for 5 sec and then I got no buffering at all.. even when I skip time it plays right away as if it was played from my HDD.

This is while watching 1080p on 30/5 MBps connection.

Just an FYI, here's my experience with it and Chromecast:

Before I start, note my network setup. My PC > Powerline (AV500, about 40 feet of distance with no interference AFAIK) > ASUS RT-68U Wireless Router > Chromecast (approximately 25ft away from the router with 1 hollow wall between them). 

This means that as it's torrenting, my PC is pulling the video from the internet, then streaming it back to the router (doubling the bandwidth usage over the Powerline) then sending it to the Chromecast over WiFi. This is with 720p, as I figured 1080p wouldn't work too well. My PC was also doing my weekly backup to my NAS, so that was on the Powerline as well. I imagine I was pushing it's limits in bandwidth usage.

On my monitor (using Chromecast's Beta "Cast Desktop" rather than "Cast Tab" in Chrome) it played just fine, looked great, sounded great, and all that high quality jazz. Note that you have to only have 1 monitor for it to look right, or it will cast your entire desktop. So basically put your 5760x1080 display on a 1080p TV, which is AWESOME, but looks weird if it doesn't fit the aspect ratio. 

On the TV, Chromecast's beta Cast Desktop feature cuts off the edge of my 1080p monitor (Even though it's being cast to a 1080p TV). And there's a "Casting your desktop" overlay that won't go away with the button to stop sharing it (though you can move it enough to hide most of it). It does not cut off the edges of the movie in full screen though.

The quality was very meh as well. Audio sounded tinny (echo-y/crappy) and the video had a noticeable "dropped frames" issue, so it looked like stuttering. I attribute that to the wireless and Powerline degrading the signal since I was pushing the limits of Powerline (I imagine I was anyway). 

I'd like to try it with just an ethernet connection to the router, but I'd rather not run a 50ft cable through my house to it. I don't own one that I'd like to use either (and making one would be a waste). 

So yeah. YMMV, but it's pretty sweet with Chromecast. I might need to try it without the backup running and see if it fairs better.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So the FAQ says the movies are stored in a "Secret Folder" on your drive. I assume AppData, but I'm not finding it. Hmm. Weird. Anyone else find it?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So the FAQ says the movies are stored in a "Secret Folder" on your drive. I assume AppData, but I'm not finding it. Hmm. Weird. Anyone else find it?

After looking at the source code here: https://github.com/popcorn-time/popcorn-app/blob/master/dist/windows/windows-installer.iss

EDIT:

\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Popcorn Time\

is where it is installed

AppData\Local\Temp\

is where the movies should be stored.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

After looking at the source code here: https://github.com/popcorn-time/popcorn-app/blob/master/dist/windows/windows-installer.iss

EDIT:

\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Popcorn Time\

is where it is installed

AppData\Local\Temp\

is where the movies should be stored.

Awesome. Thanks. Found it. 

It's under Popcorn-Time in there.

† Christian Member †

Based on the faq, unfortunately it looks like the backend service is blocked over here in the UK. Damn government/courts and their blocks. Surely they realise it's not really helping.

The program looks pretty interesting, but although it removes all evidence of the film you've watched, surely just having the program installed is incriminating in its own right. Also, for those of you concerned about films not getting seeded, it says you seed it while watching (and I guess it's also seeded until you restart but they don't say that)

HTTP/2 203

Very interesting.

Will give it a go tonight.

No Problems with ISPs in Romania as if we didn't torrent them we wouldn't buy them either (not the richest folks and were kinda cheap when it comes to movies).

its almost perfect. If I only  could use my own subtitles with any movie...

Looked really interesting, but since I read in the ToS that it uses only Yifi database movies screw that.

The quality sucks from yifi so I guess I will just keep doing it the normal way.

Too bad though.

We don’t host anything, and none of the developers makes any money.

Because that worked so well for [every single torrent webpage that has been shut down].

Not expecting any legal issues... I guess aside from piracy, Popcorn Time is different enough from Popcorn Hour that there'd be no issues Trademark-wise either... Does Popcorn Hour even still exist?

Not expecting any legal issues... I guess aside from piracy, Popcorn Time is different enough from Popcorn Hour that there'd be no issues Trademark-wise either... Does Popcorn Hour even still exist?

Maybe

At least it's available in Portugal, and it doesn't have to go through the BS cable providers that block this services here. I know its piracy, but it should give then a slap in the face. We already have something similar here, its called wareztuga. It even has an android app which is quite funny!

its almost perfect. If I only  could use my own subtitles with any movie...

You technically can. /%USERPROFILE%/AppData/Roaming/Popcorn-Time/Subtitles

Then insert your subs there named correctly. Not sure if that will work. Might. It's .SRT type

Looked really interesting, but since I read in the ToS that it uses only Yifi database movies screw that.

The quality sucks from yifi so I guess I will just keep doing it the normal way.

Too bad though.

Do you mean in visual/audio quality? Or quality of the movies there? 

Because I think both are phenomenal. Really. 720p is great. I haven't tried 1080p due to my network connection yet, but I assume it's better.

† Christian Member †

you mean i can watch movies for free

tvpyxHJ.gif

Manners Maketh Man

Then insert your subs there named correctly. Not sure if that will work. Might. It's .SRT type

Because I think both are phenomenal. Really. 720p is great. I haven't tried 1080p due to my network connection yet, but I assume it's better.

Quality as in bitrate, it gets lowered significantly in these releases to bring it down to its size.

Quality as in bitrate, it gets lowered significantly in these releases to bring it down to its size.

Ah.

I haven't noticed anything bad about these releases. Like, I assume (I believe correctly) that lower bitrate = worse quality. Yet when I watch these movies, the quality is pretty fantastic in comparison to things like Netflix. 

So yeah. If the bitrate is getting lowered, I'm not noticing it.

† Christian Member †

Ah.

I haven't noticed anything bad about these releases. Like, I assume (I believe correctly) that lower bitrate = worse quality. Yet when I watch these movies, the quality is pretty fantastic in comparison to things like Netflix.

So yeah. If the bitrate is getting lowered, I'm not noticing it.

I guess it's one of things that you will notice and be bothered by if you are used to a higher standard. (I hate dark scenes so much with low bitrate videos; so distracting!)

I guess it's one of things that you will notice and be bothered by if you are used to a higher standard. (I hate dark scenes so much with low bitrate videos; so distracting!)

Oh, I agree there. Watching Sherlock Holmes (the first movie with Downey) was fricking terrible at low bitrate.

I watched Monster University with Popcorn Time and the dark scenes weren't bad at all. 

† Christian Member †

Yes, Yify torrents visually wise are good. The problem is audio, always 2 channel and with bitrates around 90kbps which for me is extremely low. At least the last ones I download since I stopped downloading yify.

I normaly go for 720p with 3 to 4GB size or 6GB in case of 1080p.

Yes, Yify torrents visually wise are good. The problem is audio, always 2 channel and with bitrates around 90kbps which for me is extremely low. At least the last ones I download since I stopped downloading yify.

I normaly go for 720p with 3 to 4GB size or 6GB in case of 1080p.

Ah, right, audio. That is somewhat different. I have noticed kinda terrible audio. 

† Christian Member †

Based on the faq, unfortunately it looks like the backend service is blocked over here in the UK. Damn government/courts and their blocks. Surely they realise it's not really helping.
The program looks pretty interesting, but although it removes all evidence of the film you've watched, surely just having the program installed is incriminating in its own right. Also, for those of you concerned about films not getting seeded, it says you seed it while watching (and I guess it's also seeded until you restart but they don't say that)

I did wonder why it never got passed connecting. Shame looks promising. Very nice UI.

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2