"‘Netflix for pirates’ brings streaming video to BitTorrent users"

TopWargamer

http://bgr.com/2014/03/10/netflix-for-pirates-streaming-torrents/

http://torrentfreak.com/open-source-torrent-streaming-a-netflix-for-pirates-140308/

popcorn-time.jpg?w=870

If NetflixAmazon Prime and Hulu Plus are any indication, torrenting isn’t quite the destructive force many groups have made it out to be. Torrenting is a popular alternative to legal streaming, buying and renting, but the abundance of poor quality torrents coupled with the unfriendly method of acquiring movies and TV shows through torrenting has kept a majority of viewers glued to their TVs, browsers and tablets. If watching a ripped movie was as easy as logging into Netflix, would the tides turn in the favor of torrents? The creators of Popcorn Time want to find out.

TorrentFreak has drawn our attention to what could be the most legitimate threat to the online rental and streaming services yet: Popcorn Time, an open source project which makes “the experience of watching torrent movies as simple as possible.” If you live in a country where downloading copyrighted material from third-party sources is illegal, Popcorn Time could be a risky proposition, but the ease of use is astounding.

Find a movie you want to see on the surprisingly well-designed UI, pick a streaming resolution and hit play. Once you’re done watching, the file will be stored on your computer until you restart, at which point all traces of the torrent will be “gone for good.”

So instead of going to TPB or KAT or any other torrent website to download a movie, you would go on Popcorn Time and just stream the torrented movie. Find the movie you want, choose the resolution, and then click play. Bam, you're now streaming a torrented movie. "Once you’re done watching, the file will be stored on your computer until you restart, at which point all traces of the torrent will be 'gone for good.'"

Best part of it all?

“We don’t expect legal issues,” says Sebastian, a designer from Argentina. “We don’t host anything, and none of the developers makes any money. There are no ads, no premium accounts, and no subscription fees or anything like that. It’s an experiment to learn and share.”

>Doesn't expect legal issues since they don't host anything

>No ads

>No premium accounts

>No subscription fees

What's even better than all of that? You can try it out right now: http://getpopcornti.me/

COMIC SANS

Yarrr!! Looks interesting.. Ill check it out.

This thing is probably going to be shot down with extreme brutality...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Should I use a VPN for this?

My ISP knows whenever I pirate things... 

Probably a smart idea. Plus, using a VPN would help the movies stream faster.

:P

COMIC SANS

Noob question:

If I did use a VPN such as HSP, is there any way for my ISP to trace that I am pirating things? 

I get the feeling that this is incredibly against CoC

CPU: i7-3820 | Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2 | Mobo: Asus Sabretooth X79Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP | Storage: Crucial M500 240GB & 480GB SSD + Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB |

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780ti Superclocked | PSU: 1000W Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 | Monitors: 3 x AOC i2367Fh 23.0"

All hail the mighty Flying Spaghetti Monster. May he touch you with his noodely appendages

Noob question:

If I did use a VPN such as HSP, is there any way for my ISP to trace that I am pirating things? 

No, unless HotSpot Shield gave your ISP your data, which they shouldn't do anyways.

COMIC SANS

Meh, loads of sites do this type of thing, aslong as they don't host it on their site it should be fine  :P

Soo many games, not enough money to get any.

Not necessarily.

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.

"Once you’re done watching, the file will be stored on your computer until you restart, at which point all traces of the torrent will be 'gone for good."

So when you've finished the movie, you have the file stored on your computer until you restart....

The fact that you have the movie on your computer means you have 'downloaded' it. (without paying)

Anyone could just move the file out of the folder so it doesn't get deleted from your computer and thus keeping it.

I'm a little confused.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Tehe

-snip-

wow what ipb theme is that looks baller

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So when you've finished the movie, you have the file stored on your computer until you restart....

The fact that you have the movie on your computer means you have 'downloaded' it. (without paying)

Anyone could just move the file out of the folder so it doesn't get deleted from your computer and thus keeping it.

I'm a little confused.

... About what?

The point isn't to prevent you from downloading the movie, thereby preventing you from breaking copyright laws while still getting to watch the media. The point is to make watching the content as easy as possible via streaming and deleting all forms of evidence (that you, the user, have access to at least), laws be damned (or what-have-you). 

Is it very shady? Yes. Do the people who want torrent videos care? Probably not. They just want their content as easy and fast as possible.

Being able to move the file is a good thing for the pirates, since they can keep it if they so choose, or let it be deleted if they want.

I don't like the built-in dark theme, so I use this one: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26562-a-dark-theme-for-linustechtips/

Mainly cause it condenses the forum so that it's not all drawn out.

I use it too. I love this theme. The depth/shading on the buttons is a nice touch.

I hope Plex Media Server gets this as a channel/app or something. That'd be great.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Hmmm

Works well, and subtitles work.

Still prefer downloading it myself though

... About what?

The point isn't to prevent you from downloading the movie, thereby breaking copyright laws. The point is to make doing that as easy as possible via streaming and deleting all forms of evidence (that you, the user, have access to at least). 

Is it very shady? Yes. Do the people who want torrent videos care? Probably not. They just want their content as easy and fast as possible.

Being able to move the file is a good thing for the pirates, since they can keep it if they so choose, or let it be deleted if they want.

Well they said they don't expect legal issues since they don't host anything.

But that's basically what TPB is.

So how can they say they won't have legal issues when you look at all the things TPB has been through.

Pretty sure the government will try and destroy them.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

... About what?

The point isn't to prevent you from downloading the movie, thereby preventing you from breaking copyright laws while still getting to watch the media. The point is to make watching the content as easy as possible via streaming and deleting all forms of evidence (that you, the user, have access to at least), laws be damned (or what-have-you). 

I like how the app makes sure that it stream 720p or 1080p videos with decent audio. Instead of some of those compressed beyond belief files you will find on TPB.