Rant: Omron f*cking s*cks!

Senzelian

"Japanese quality" they said.
"20-million" clicks they said.

F*ck Omron and everyone that is implementing that junk into their mice.

I've owned the following mice;

• Razer DeathAdder
  • Mionix Naos 7000
  • Corsair Glaive

and each one of them had the same problem: The left mouse button would fail and start double clicking or not registering a click.

Now my Logitech G403 is doing the same.
I bought the mouse聽on the 19th of January - THIS YEAR聽馃槨

After the second mouse I thought - oh well, maybe it's me. Maybe I'm too harsh to them, but to be honest I was a fool for thinking that. Of course it wasn't me.

I've babied the G403 and I have mostly played Cities: Skylines and single-player games that don't require a lot of clicking and yet it failed, just like all my聽other mice with Omron switches.

My first DeathAdder did not have that problem, even tho back then I was literally smashing the thing to pieces in Modern Warfare 3 - especially because I was playing a lot of USP.45 with silencer (got a good trigger finger and it runs faster than an MP7).

How is this even possible?
My theory is that Omron is full of sh*t. Just like the mice manufacturers. There's no wonder companies like Bloody went to developing their own optical switches.

I'll return this motherf*cking pile of plastic garbage tomorrow and get a new one.
The exact same one again. Just to prove a point. F*ck you Logitech and all the others too.聽馃枙

Does anyone know of a good tool to measure the amount of clicks? I'll let that run and see if I actually exceed the 20 million or not this time!

btw. thanks for letting me blow off some steam. in return I was so nice to put little stars into each curse word.

I had a madcatz mouse a while back that got that issue but switched it for my razer mouse have had that for a few years now no problems

Reminder鈿狅笍

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am聽always glad to help

7 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I had a madcatz mouse a while back that got that issue but switched it for my razer mouse have had that for a few years now no problems

The issue definitely exists, but I just seem to have absolutely no luck.
I have to say that my Corsair Dark Core didn't have the problem yet. It's at the office right now tho.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

The issue definitely exists, but I just seem to have absolutely no luck.
I have to say that my Corsair Dark Core didn't have the problem yet. It's at the office right now tho.

You just seem to be unlucky tbh

Reminder鈿狅笍

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am聽always glad to help

I've only had super old HP mice fail/double click and even then it was only around half. The other half work fine even after 15+ years. Used some model of MSI Red Dragon I bought from a friend when it came with his laptop and he didn't want it, and passed it on to a family member before getting a newer, slightly larger Red Dragon mouse and its been working fine.

Still on my X-718 mouse for going on what now, 15 years? I have not had one problem with it other then the cheap super thin cable witch is a simple fix.

In the more general electronics space and industry, Omron makes the best switches in the game. They produce millions of parts a year, it's possible you got some bad units, or maybe the mice specced a lower end part from their range to get the BOM cost down.

Personal experience, my OG G502 is still going strong and still feels like the day I bought it, which I believe was 6 years ago? To me it sounds like you just got really unlucky. Hopefully you still have a good warranty.

ASU

Sounds like either your use case is causing it or you are just really unlucky. By no means am I saying it is your fault, there are a lot of people complaining about double clicking issues, it's just that聽other people like myself have been using the same mouse for years and don't have a problem. I'm not sure buying the same mouse is a good idea though聽especially if you are trying to prove a point, vote with your wallet and all that.聽

29 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

In the more general electronics space and industry, Omron makes the best switches in the game. They produce millions of parts a year, it's possible you got some bad units, or maybe the mice specced a lower end part from their range to get the BOM cost down.

Personal experience, my OG G502 is still going strong and still feels like the day I bought it, which I believe was 6 years ago? To me it sounds like you just got really unlucky. Hopefully you still have a good warranty.

Warranty has so far always covored for it - EU ftw. 馃槢

To me it seems that the quality has gone down in recent years.

27 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Sounds like either your use case is causing it or you are just really unlucky. By no means am I saying it is your fault, there are a lot of people complaining about double clicking issues, it's just that聽other people like myself have been using the same mouse for years and don't have a problem. I'm not sure buying the same mouse is a good idea though聽especially if you are trying to prove a point, vote with your wallet and all that.聽

I have a Razer Diamondback from 2004. The switch itself still works flawlessy, but instead the plastic that is pressing down onto the switch has worn and so it doesn't make good contact anymore. Or hasn't made, because I was able to fix it. But the shape of it聽is too unconfortable for my hands now.

As you can see, I voted with my wallet often enough, by switching to all sorts of different brands.

I really like the shape and weight of the G403 :(
If I'm really just that unlucky, then technically this shouldn't happen again with another G403 this quickly and so I'd love to use a piece of software to record the number of clicks to see when they fail. If it fails again, then warranty is going to cover it anyway.

13 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Warranty has so far always covored for it - EU ftw. 馃槢

To me it seems that the quality has gone down in recent years.

Electronic components often comply to standardized PCB footprints. You聽might聽be able to find a compatible switch from another manufacturer and swap it, if you dare.

ASU

It isn't necessarily Omron that sucks. A lot of manufactures use their Chinese variant of microswitches (i.e. cheaper, in this context) instead of the ones built in Japan, which is part of the problem because the ones produced in China are mechanically and materially inferior. I ranted about this on another user's post. I'm assuming they save literal pennies per switch, but yeah I suppose that adds up to fill their bottom-line with enough items manufactured.

Here's a fantastic video explaining it all in detail if you're interested.

9 minutes ago, Mugnuf said:

It isn't necessarily Omron that sucks. A lot of manufactures use their Chinese variant of microswitches (i.e. cheaper, in this context) instead of the ones built in Japan, which is part of the problem because the ones produced in China are mechanically and materially inferior. I ranted about this on another user's post. I'm assuming they save literal pennies per switch, but yeah I suppose that adds up to fill their bottom-line with enough items manufactured.

Here's a fantastic video explaining it all in detail if you're interested.

Thanks, that at least explains why they suck, but doesn't explain why manufacturers like Logitech, Corsair and Razer don't make sure, that their products are of good quality. I will certainly look into this a bit more.

11 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Thanks, that at least explains why they suck, but doesn't explain why manufacturers like Logitech, Corsair and Razer don't make sure, that their products are of good quality. I will certainly look into this a bit more.

Profit margins, ease of inventory transport (Chinese switches made in China, same as a lot of mice,) large stocks because of cheaper mice variants in their product stack... Lots of factors, none of them good when "good" mice are starting to cost over $100 from companies like Logitech and Razer. I believe Razer is starting to use lasers which send the "click" signal聽when the beam is broken (pressing down) instead of relying on mechanical actuation, which is a step in the correct direction. Now they need to start adding metal overlays to the plastic actuator of the mouse button itself to prevent plastic wear over years of use. All of this can easily be attributed to planned obsolescence and greed.

Hmm yeah, may be unlucky also there are some that use cheaper variants. Though still that sounds rather quick to fail regardless. If you don't completely bash the switches all the time, it seems you're very unlucky. Many use Omron switches, I've had many mice with them none failed. Personally I love Huano switches more anyway that my mouse has.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink |聽Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |聽Seasonic Focus GX-850 |聽Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver) |聽Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen)聽| Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Hmm yeah, may be unlucky also there are some that use cheaper variants. Though still that sounds rather quick to fail regardless. If you don't completely bash the switches all the time, it seems you're very unlucky. Many use Omron switches, I've had many mice with them none failed. Personally I love Huano switches more anyway that my mouse has.

Which mouse do you have?

Btw.:
I bought a Death Adder now. We'll see how this goes and I got a program recording the amount of clicks. So far I'm at 4934 clicks. 馃槷

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Which mouse do you have?

Btw.:
I bought a Death Adder now. We'll see how this goes and I got a program recording the amount of clicks. So far I'm at 4934 clicks. 馃槷

Don't play Cookie Clicker... enjoy a longer lasting mouse :)

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

Which mouse do you have?

Btw.:

I have Zowie S1.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink |聽Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |聽Seasonic Focus GX-850 |聽Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver) |聽Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen)聽| Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |