Are ultrawide setups gaining or losing popularity?

Exeon

Or are they just stagnating?

I'm wondering about this, Ultrawide setups have their obvious pro's and con's.

I was never interested because hardware at both ends couldn't match what I wanted, high refresh rate and cost.

However with the 3080 performance took a massive leap in a price performance standpoint, and ultrawide monitors have been dropping steadily in cost (so have regular display's though)

But I wonder, are more people starting to go for UW or is it just stagnant or even going backwards?

I'm also considering stepping up, but having no experience with an UW screen I might just hate it and return it

To me they are losing but only to OLED TVs with VRR.

My 3440 X 1440 monitor is on a shelf and my 3840 X 1600 is used only for video editing now.

When and if ultrawides get 2160 vertical pixels I may revisit them but right now I no longer use them for gaming. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I switched to ultrawide this year 3440x1440p

Only issue i have is support for ultrawide on streaming services. 

All in all its a good upgrade from 16x9. People had horses long after the automobile was invented, they will see the light eventually. 

I'd actually prefer taller monitors. :P I switched out some of my 16:9 displays to 16:10 displays, as I use the extra vertical space much more. Now I'm a happy man with four 16:10 monitors. :D

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

32 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I'd actually prefer taller monitors. :P I switched out some of my 16:9 displays to 16:10 displays, as I use the extra vertical space much more. Now I'm a happy man with four 16:10 monitors. :D

At home It wouldn't be usefull to me, however at work when programing it would be quite helpfull, I could potentially tilt my screen, but with 1 monitor I disliked it.

The main reason why I was asking these question is because I was considering ultrawide, but I mainly game or watch youtube.

I managed to find a sweet deal on an older LG 34GK950F from amazon warehouse for 500€.

I would have rather gotten a LG 34GN850 but at 800€ it's quite the difference, I could get the 950F and a decent regular screen for that price.

If it has dead pixels at least I'll find out of UW is something for me or not.

31 minutes ago, Exeon said:

At home It wouldn't be usefull to me, however at work when programing it would be quite helpfull, I could potentially tilt my screen, but with 1 monitor I disliked it.

I indeed also my monitors for working stuff, but also for things like reading these forums; more vertical space allows more text to be seen at one. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I bought one last year around this time. My only regret is that I should have went bigger. 24" just isn't big enough. Probably should have did a 27" or 32" model. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 9/30/2020 at 7:59 AM, Exeon said:

Or are they just stagnating?

I'm wondering about this, Ultrawide setups have their obvious pro's and con's.

I was never interested because hardware at both ends couldn't match what I wanted, high refresh rate and cost.

However with the 3080 performance took a massive leap in a price performance standpoint, and ultrawide monitors have been dropping steadily in cost (so have regular display's though)

But I wonder, are more people starting to go for UW or is it just stagnant or even going backwards?

I'm also considering stepping up, but having no experience with an UW screen I might just hate it and return it

I returned mine recently.  I couldn't handle the curve and how it seemed to warp pictures.  Also, not all games support UW.  Especially some competitive multiplayer games for which intentionally don't support UW .  I feel as though more and more online multiplayer games are nerfing 21:9+ aspect ratio and will continue to do so moving forward.  I play Dead by Daylight and it doesn't even support letterbox well.  You have to literally change the resolution in Windows to get the game to work as intended.  When things are supported correctly, I didn't like having to pan across the screen from Left to Right, even on desktop.  I'm used to looking at the right hand corner quite a bit in Windows and it just didn't set well with me on UW.  I suppose I'm used to multiple monitors where I can stay lazer focused on one thing as opposed to panning on one screen for information.  Also, with gaming, you know that pretty much everything's going to work on a 16:9 screen.  I'd rather just use a 16:9 main screen for which I know everything's going to work as intended and will be supported.

9 hours ago, jayark1 said:

I returned mine recently.  I couldn't handle the curve and how it seemed to warp pictures.  Also, not all games support UW.  Especially some competitive multiplayer games for which intentionally don't support UW .  I feel as though more and more online multiplayer games are nerfing 21:9+ aspect ratio and will continue to do so moving forward.  I play Dead by Daylight and it doesn't even support letterbox well.  You have to literally change the resolution in Windows to get the game to work as intended.  When things are supported correctly, I didn't like having to pan across the screen from Left to Right, even on desktop.  I'm used to looking at the right hand corner quite a bit in Windows and it just didn't set well with me on UW.  I suppose I'm used to multiple monitors where I can stay lazer focused on one thing as opposed to panning on one screen for information.  Also, with gaming, you know that pretty much everything's going to work on a 16:9 screen.  I'd rather just use a 16:9 main screen for which I know everything's going to work as intended and will be supported.

Yea I do hear complaints about big curves (looking at you samsung) , though most people don't mind a slight curve on bigger displays.

Competitive online games do often not allow 21:9 which is weird considering high refresh monitors are fine (and are proven to give an advantage)

I mainly play RPG's and slower paced games, I don't mind fiddeling with settings or installing mods to make something work.

I believe UW is something I need to experience to know for sure, some love it some hate it, support has in general improved over the years though, not from indie game titles but definitly most AAA single player or Co-Op games.

I bought my UW last year and I love it.  It is a Dell, 34 inch, there is a slight curve but I don't mind it.   I don't want to go back to not having an UW, I would really like to see them take off for gaming.  Productivity I run my windows side by side so it is like a dual monitor setup, just without the black bar in the middle.