Help with why my Pc is not starting up when I put in a new Cpu

Bobbestfriend

I have a PC that is pretty old, I was going to upgrade my CPU from the intel Pentium G3240 to an I5 4590.

When I upgraded my CPU to an I5 I tried to boot it up and all it does is the fans start to spin then it stops spinning. 

I am wondering why this might be and if someone could help me out because I don't know if it is a power supply problem or something else.

I have tried to CMOS reset after putting in the I5 and it still does the same thing. When I put back my intel Pentium it works.

My computer specs are:

Cpu: Intel Pentium G3240 trying to get it to a I5 490

Graphics card: Gt 1030 

Ram: Hyper X 2x 8GB 

Power supply: Shaw Evo-755 Max
IMG-0061.thumb.jpg.f3961dfc8ba8d97d6c8bbfb9dc30af77.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bobbestfriend said:

I have a PC that is pretty old, I was going to upgrade my CPU from the intel Pentium G3240 to an I5 4590.

When I upgraded my CPU to an I5 I tried to boot it up and all it does is the fans start to spin then it stops spinning. 

I am wondering why this might be and if someone could help me out because I don't know if it is a power supply problem or something else.

I have tried to CMOS reset after putting in the I5 and it still does the same thing. When I put back my intel Pentium it works.

What motherboard do you have? Does it list support for the i5 4590 CPU? Both Haswell CPUs so should work... You may need to use the Pentium CPU to update the BIOS to a newer version that supports the i5 then install the new CPU.

3 minutes ago, Bobbestfriend said:

Power supply: Shaw Evo-755 Max

That 200W PSU is garbage (not what's causing your issue though)

You should also clean the dust out of your system while you have it open, especially the CPU heatsink.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What motherboard do you have? Does it list support for the i5 4590 CPU? Both Haswell CPUs so should work... You may need to use the Pentium CPU to update the BIOS to a newer version that supports the i5 then install the new CPU.

That 200W PSU is garbage (not what's causing your issue though)

You should also clean the dust out of your system while you have it open, especially the CPU heatsink.

I have a GA-B85M-D3H and I am pretty sure it supports the cpu.

2 minutes ago, Bobbestfriend said:

I have a GA-B85M-D3H and I am pretty sure it supports the cpu.

1 minute ago, Bobbestfriend said:

If so how would I upgrade the bios to support the i5?

Your motherboard should support the CPU with the earliest BIOS revision. That shouldn't be an issue then.

If you need to update the BIOS you download the latest BIOS from the manufacturers website and follow their install instructions. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B85M-D3H-rev-10-11/support#support-dl-bios

Try the i5 CPU again. Might have just been a bad mount in the socket the first time or something. Other than that I'm not sure what would be the problem, unless the CPU is dead, though dead CPUs aren't that common.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Do you have a motherboard speaker? (It beeps when turning-on the machine)

We can use the beeps to identify the source of the problem.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Do you have a motherboard speaker? (It beeps when tuning on the machine)

We can use the beeps to identify the source problem.

I don't think I have a motherboard speaker

Just now, Bobbestfriend said:

I don't think I have a motherboard speaker

Well,they are cheap (I buy one for $1),and easy to install.

They are very helpful in these kind of situations.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

16 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Your motherboard should support the CPU with the earliest BIOS revision. That shouldn't be an issue then.

If you need to update the BIOS you download the latest BIOS from the manufacturers website and follow their install instructions. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B85M-D3H-rev-10-11/support#support-dl-bios

Try the i5 CPU again. Might have just been a bad mount in the socket the first time or something. Other than that I'm not sure what would be the problem, unless the CPU is dead, though dead CPUs aren't that common.

image.png.60e29e75938d7d464e0f097ee7d576b4.png

image.png.08df20c1b4210d55e6c0fca8a3b57b14.png

When I try running the .exe when i finish downloading it doesn't work 

1 minute ago, Bobbestfriend said:

When I try running the .exe when i finish downloading it doesn't work 

You don't update the BIOS through windows. Like I said you should follow the instructions for updating the BIOS from your motherboard manufacturer.

Though, the earliest BIOS revision lists support for the i5 4590, so you shouldn't need to update the BIOS.

I would try again with your new cpu, be sure it's seated properly and also thermal paste / cooler is applied properly.

if it still doesn't work you should just get a new better power supply (sorry I don't have any recommendations which but you can just ask here again before buying one)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I would try again with your new cpu, be sure it's seated properly and also thermal paste / cooler is applied properly.

if it still doesn't work you should just get a new better power supply (sorry I don't have any recommendations which but you can just ask here again before buying one)

I tried again and it didn't work are these any good of a power supply?

SilverStone Strider Essential ST60F-ES230 600W 80 Plus Power Supply:https://www.mwave.com.au/product/silverstone-strider-essential-st60fes230-600w-80-plus-power-supply-ab83276

Cooler Master MWE 230V V2 450W 80 Plus White Power Supply:https://www.mwave.com.au/product/cooler-master-mwe-230v-v2-450w-80-plus-white-power-supply-ac22964

Antec VP500P PLUS 500W 80+ Non-Modular Power Supply:https://www.mwave.com.au/product/antec-vp500p-plus-500w-80-nonmodular-power-supply-ac21096

41 minutes ago, Bobbestfriend said:

I tried again and it didn't work are these any good of a power supply?

SilverStone Strider Essential ST60F-ES230 600W 80 Plus Power Supply:https://www.mwave.com.au/product/silverstone-strider-essential-st60fes230-600w-80-plus-power-supply-ab83276

Cooler Master MWE 230V V2 450W 80 Plus White Power Supply:https://www.mwave.com.au/product/cooler-master-mwe-230v-v2-450w-80-plus-white-power-supply-ac22964

Antec VP500P PLUS 500W 80+ Non-Modular Power Supply:https://www.mwave.com.au/product/antec-vp500p-plus-500w-80-nonmodular-power-supply-ac21096

you can check the PSU tier list to find a good enough PSU here.

you can also make a new topic there and ask about a new PSU that will work with your other components.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity