Will the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition be enough for a Ryzen 9 3900x?

Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,

I'd get something a bit more for the 3900x. Larger air tower or an AIO if you're planning on doing more intensive loads for prolonged periods.

BTW the Freezer 34 esports and the Hyper 212 black are about the same (Tier 6). The Freezer 33 and 212 RGB editions both have fnas that spin faster so thats why they "cool better" (Tier 5)

I don't plan to OC for a while, I will already own the hyper 212 because I'm buying it for the 3600. I just want to know when I get the cash to upgrade. Thanks!

the wraith prism (that comes with the CPU) works just as well, i heard

but if you already have it, yea sure you can use it, you can compare both and see which one is better for you

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

yeah you could use either the stock cooler or the hyper 212 the will roughly the same cooling potential. although you can test which one performs better. 

1 minute ago, Tom_nerd said:

yeah you could use either the stock cooler or the hyper 212 the will roughly the same cooling potential. although you can test which one performs better. 

Well I was wondering if I should actually be thinking a bigger/better cooler for the 3900x. If so which? Should I be thinking AIO? Or I am ok with the Prism/hyper 212 if I don't OC?

I'd get something a bit more for the 3900x. Larger air tower or an AIO if you're planning on doing more intensive loads for prolonged periods.

BTW the Freezer 34 esports and the Hyper 212 black are about the same (Tier 6). The Freezer 33 and 212 RGB editions both have fnas that spin faster so thats why they "cool better" (Tier 5)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 minutes ago, charlie_c137 said:

I was wondering if I should actually be thinking a bigger/better cooler for the 3900x. If so which?

i have a 3900x, i never used the stock cooler, but dark rock pro 3 (equivalent to DRP4, or NH-D15) would cool it to around ~80c under full load on cinebench loop, saturated

so i expect the stock cooler to run around 85c (based on what my friend told me, he has 3900x on stock, but i didnt do intensive test)

it's fine on stock cooler, for stock speed, but a big air cooler like D-15 or DRP4 will definitely bring temps down a notch

but what most 3900x owners (that i know) do, is they undervolt it (mine's at 1.1v), it runs at ~71c under full saturated load, on dark rock pro 3.

as for AIO, it's unnecessary imo... unless you want to have it

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

i have a 3900x, i never used the stock cooler, but dark rock pro 3 (equivalent to DRP4, or NH-D15) would cool it to around ~80c under full load on cinebench loop, saturated

so i expect the stock cooler to run around 85c (based on what my friend told me, he has 3900x on stock, but i didnt do intensive test)

it's fine on stock cooler, for stock speed, but a big air cooler like D-15 or DRP4 will definitely bring temps down a notch

but what most 3900x owners (that i know) do, is they undervolt it (mine's at 1.1v), it runs at ~71c under full saturated load, on dark rock pro 3.

as for AIO, it's unnecessary imo... unless you want to have it

Thanks for that undervolt tip!

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

as a side note, why is the d15 a tier above the d15s? arent they within 1 or 2 percent in cooling performance?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, VeganJoy said:

as a side note, why is the d15 a tier above the d15s? arent they within 1 or 2 percent in cooling performance?

The D15S only has one fan, therefore, it's not as effective in cooling as the D15, which comes with two. I dont believe it's only 1-2%. There's 1-2% difference between the D15 and the U12A though (a much smaller cooler) and this is again, mostly due to the fans used.

Same reason the Freezer 33 and 34 Esports one are below the Esports DUO, because the duo's have two fans. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The D15S only has one fan, therefore, it's not as effective in cooling as the D15, which comes with two. I dont believe it's only 1-2%. There's 1-2% difference between the D15 and the U12A though (a much smaller cooler) and this is again, mostly due to the fans used.

Same reason the Freezer 33 and 34 Esports one are below the Esports DUO, because the duo's have two fans. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/noctua-nh-d15s/6.html

the d15/d15s design is very efficient, and the single center fan gets within a degree of the dual fan config

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

3 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/noctua-nh-d15s/6.html

the d15/d15s design is very efficient, and the single center fan gets within a degree of the dual fan config

That's just one review outlet using one cup (which is only a 4c/8t Skylake) The hotter the CPU, the larger the difference in performance. @WoodenMarker could probably provide more examples showing a "pattern" which is generally how he sorts the coolers on the list (not just any one review)

30 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Just out of curiosity which coolers would you suggest? Price point-wise, I need to know what to add to the overall budget when I go ahead and buy the 3900x. Thanks.

1 hour ago, charlie_c137 said:

Just out of curiosity which coolers would you suggest? Price point-wise, I need to know what to add to the overall budget when I go ahead and buy the 3900x. Thanks.

Currently the best AIO performance I'm aware of is the Arctic Liquid Freeze 280, and for an Air cooler the Deepcool Assassin III. 

I used a Cooler Master ML360 in Rainbow 🦆 2020 (Build log in my signature) but that was mostly because my friend in question wanted RGB and was less concerned with max performance. 

6 minutes ago, comander said:

The h212 evo is a bit better than the Wraith Prism. 

With that said, I don't think the 212 Evo is enough of an upgrade to justify getting it. 

Well I'll be upgrading from a 3600(or zen 3 equivalent) so I'll already have the hyper 212 BE.

2 minutes ago, comander said:

And beyond that... wait for Zen3 unless there's a TRULY compelling reason to get something earlier.  Worst case scenario you can get a 3900x for cheapish ($300 anyone? pure speculation btw). Best case scenario the 4700/4800x is a no brainer at the same price. 

not sure how availability is like, 3900x wasnt widely available until like 2-3 months after launch, so it's up to op if he wants to wait that long

but yea 3900x price will prob drop as soon as 4000 series "launches"

like 2080ti

27 minutes ago, comander said:

FWIW, I'm probably sitting Zen 3 out (unless it's AMAZING), or at the most only upgrading to it after it's dirt cheap on the use market. I'm at the point where any improvements don't make a difference in usability. I'll probably pour cash into OTHER projects (home automation? home audio [GF now works at an audio company so I'm willing to bet I can get a discount]? maybe I'll dive back into fitness and see if I can hit a 5 minute mile or a 400lbs deadlift)... sometimes though it's just SO tempting to get "the ultimate set up" even if there's 0 practical benefit. Haha. 

Yeah I doubt it will be a worthy upgrade from zen 2, but I'm upgrading from a Xeon 1231 e3 so it's pretty exciting for me.

3 minutes ago, comander said:

"worth it" depends on an individual's use case and what their biggest pain point is. If you're 20ish, in school and low on time and money, cheaper system and less time at work = MORE SLEEP. 
If you're 30ish, well established, etc. low performance might be more of a pain point than time or money. It's about targeting the area that gives you the highest utility uplift. A lot is self awareness though. I personally don't want to fall into the trap of "having bleeding edge stuff in and of itself is what gives me the uplift" - that's how you create a money pit for 0 discernible gains (looks at 1.5TB optane SSD that's in the closet and not in the computer)

Well if we're getting all philosophical I guess I should point out no-one knows how many years they have left in them, so best to live for the day, eh? ;)