"Introduction to Linux" Course Offered for Free on edX

This is kind of late, I guess, but Linux Foundation decided to team up with edX, a non-profit online education site founded by Harvard and MIT, to allow easier entries into Linux courses. In this case, an introduction course that usually costs $2400, will be free over the summer. There is no limit or prerequisites to enroll and you can even "audit" and keep the course's materials, tests, and have access to the forums associated with the course. Otherwise, you can complete the course and get a completion certificate for free unlike some classes on edX. Source: Anandtech, "$2,400 'Introduction to Linux' course will be free and online this summer".

And here's edX's page on this: "LinuxFoundationX: LFS101x: Introduction to Linux | edX".

Linux is everywhere and it's pretty much the bare-bones or foundation of many operating systems like Android's OSs, Valve's SteamOS, and Mozilla's Firefox OS. The other thing is that Linux tends to be the tinkerer's OS as it requires you to actually explore it unlike Windows or iOS which are made convenient for users, but for some they are too restricted. So, if Linux is so open-source and kind of directed to a DIY mentality, then take a class? Ignoring the fact it's free, some people want guidance or want to learn it from a school environment. Personally, I'd like some guidance before messing with anything. I could have learned about automobiles the old-fashioned way, but there was a class in high school and those are usually free, so I took it. Even though it was an introduction class, there was a ton to learn.

So, I'll probably sign-up even if I don't go into computer sciences and it'll be handy to have some knowledge of Linux. Who knows, I might end up being the guy who makes a revolutionary, Linux-powered toaster.

Edit: Damn it! Someone beat me to it. There's an actual toaster-PC. It runs on Unix-like OS called NetBSD which is sort of close enough to a Linux-powered toaster. "NetBSD Toaster with the TS-7200 ARM SBC".

netbsd-toaster.jpg

flyingtoasters.jpg?1241332028

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

What age do you have to be to sign up?

Good question. I have no idea. I don't think there's an age requirement. Maybe you'd need parental consent when you get your certificate of completion or if they notice your age, but I don't think they'll stop you from learning just because you're too young. In health, biology, and forensics science maybe since there are disturbing and somewhat "controversial" images there - well, here in the good ol' "We'll censor everything" US. Heck, in many schools, there are young people learning classes that "older" people should be in. I remember someone saying a fifth grader was studying geometry when I was in high school and after barely passing geometry. Now, I could talk about how parents should let their kids loosen up a little, but whatever, that's another story.

Anyway, we already have young and bright minds on this forum who know plenty about PCs when "capable", "experienced", and "qualified" adults can't even remember to plug in PCs, let alone find the power button.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Edit: Damn it! Someone beat me to it. There's an actual toaster-PC. It runs on Unix-like OS called NetBSD which is sort of close enough to a Linux-powered toaster. "NetBSD Toaster with the TS-7200 ARM SBC".

netbsd-toaster.jpg

flyingtoasters.jpg?1241332028

I honestly think this would greatly improve my life: ssh access to my toaster. Now I bet I can mod it for one of those mega toasters that fix up eggs and bacon at the same time, obviously all hooked up through SSH, in fact I bet I can make a batch script run on an NFC card next to my phone to just tap for breakfast!

This is seriously awesome.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I honestly think this would greatly improve my life: ssh access to my toaster. Now I bet I can mod it for one of those mega toasters that fix up eggs and bacon at the same time, obviously all hooked up through SSH, in fact I bet I can make a batch script run on an NFC card next to my phone to just tap for breakfast!

This is seriously awesome.

So... something like this?

Mega_Toaster.jpg

Oh, and by the way, if you screw up and it becomes self-aware. We will all know who to blame.

mega_toaster_by_italktowalls-d5jabxr.png

And one more thing on toasters: there are plans to remake The Brave Little Toaster with an iPhone. Let that sink in for a bit...

plot twist

you will be registered in an NSA watch list

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I've been looking for some sort of intro to Linux, but haven't really found one, until now. Will take during the summer and show to my teacher. It's probably a school years worth of practical arts

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

plot twist

List? I dont think they use lists, they just dump everything on everyone.

-------

Current Rig

-------

plot twist

Psshaw, man. I'm already on the MI6's, SIS's, CIA's, Majestic 12's, FBI's, XOF's, GRU's, Fourth Echelon's, AA's, CSIS's, the Patriots', UNATCO's, and LTT's list. NSA would just be another watcher going through my Pokédex, Diablo III inventory, Runescape banks, and Metroid fanart. Ain't go nutin' ta hide that ain't been found, brotha.

Not sure whether to sign up or not...

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

SIGNED UP! WOOHOO

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Too bad it will take a while to open the course, i signed up yesterday... Even using linux for a year and a half it will be good to take some classes.

Signatures are stupid.

Not sure whether to sign up or not...

It's free, sponsored by LinuxFoundation, from a known organization founded by reputable institutions, and you can sign up and audit the class if you don't think you have time or whatever and keep the course materials, tests, and access to the course's forums. This isn't like signing up for a free giveaway and finding out your email, mailing address, bank accounts, investments, home, and pets have been compromised. 

• 2 months later...

EDIT, alpenwasser: leaving this here despite thread merge.

Linus-Torvalds-2.jpg

Here is where you can sign up. It's free. The class starts Aug 1st and you can expect to spend 40-60 hours over the whole course on the material. I'm assuming the course lasts from Aug-Dec for a usual semester (if you live in the US at least). You can even pay a "nominal fee" and get a verified track for credentials saying you've completed the course. 

It's aimed at beginners (or people who at least know how to use a computer from day to day use). 

I got you with that title, didn't I? Admit it. I gotcha. Anyway, it's not just me being sensationalist. Slashdot is guilty too. Their post on it:

An anonymous reader writes

"The Linux Foundation has teamed up with MOOC provider edX to teach an introduction to Linux by none other than Linus Torvalds himself! Quoting the course description: 'This course explores the various tools and techniques commonly used by Linux programmers, system administrators and end users to achieve their day-to-day work in a Linux environment. It is designed for experienced computer users who have limited or no previous exposure to Linux, whether they are working in an individual or Enterprise environment.' The course begins on August 1st. In addition to the free version of the course, a verified track is available for students who want a credential with more weight (for a nominal price)."

Needless to say, I'm definitely signing up. :D I love to learn. I'm very excited.

I can't find a specific edX minimum price for the course completion verification stuff. If anyone can find that, please post it here. It'd be much appreciated.

Update: I signed up with edX and the "nominal fee" is $250. Nominal indeed /sarcasm

Update 2: It seems the intro video is all that Linus Torvalds does. However, the actual teacher sounds like he's just. This is him:

Course Staff

• jerrycooperstein110x110.jpg

Jerry Cooperstein PhD

Jerry Cooperstein has been working with Linux since 1994, developing and delivering training in both the kernel and user space. He has overall responsibility for all training content at The Linux Foundation. During a two decade career in nuclear astrophysics, he developed state-of-the-art simulation software on many kinds of supercomputers and taught at both the undergraduate and graduate level. Cooperstein joined the Linux Foundation in 2009 as the Training Program Director. He currently lives in Wisconsin.

Edited by alpenwasser

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I should have known it wasnt our linus...

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Oh interesting... I might check it out.

BTW whats your profile pic now?

Master Huey from Baccano!

Fits my title.

I should have known it wasnt our linus...

Indeed. (He shoots, he scores!)

ironically our linus doesnt use linux

I can somewhat understand. Linus doesn't have time to bother with an OS he has to configure for everything. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So Linus actually made Linux? 

I didn't actually think there any kind of relation between the name "Linus" (associated with or not with the LTT master himself or anyone named Linus) and Linux OS. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So Linus actually made Linux? 

I didn't actually think there any kind of relation between the name "Linus" (associated with or not with the LTT master himself or anyone named Linus) and Linux OS. 

The name Linux comes from his name. Tux was chosen as a mascot because Linus liked penguins, iirc. 

And yes, he made Linux, or more specifically, the Linux kernel which forms the backbone of every Linux distribution. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Lol, I like that "Linux Inside" logo....

As a daily user of both Linux and Windows, I must say that my reasons for having to use a Windows machine are starting to get less. All I'm waiting for is for more and more games to become Linux compatible, then there will be no reason for me to ever want to go back to Windows.

Once you start learning Linux, and you work with it on a regular basis, you soon realise that it's just better.

It's tempting, I've only used Ubuntu a couple of years back and to be honest I forgot most of it.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p