Facebook Strikes Deal to Skirt Apple’s App Store Commission 

LRossi

Summary

Facebook Strikes Deal to Skirt Apple’s App Store Commission 

Apple allowed Facebook to use its own payment system for paid online events until at least the end of 2020.

Quotes

Facebook Inc. said Apple Inc. approved a request to give businesses a temporary reprieve from paying a 30% commission on paid online events, a special arrangement that comes as the App Store owner faces criticism over how its digital marketplace operates.

The agreement, which runs through the rest of this year, allows Facebook to use its own payment system to process transactions for the live events

My thoughts

This is sure to spice things up in the Epic vs. Apple battle.

Sources

https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-strikes-deal-to-skirt-apples-app-store-commission-11601049903?mod=hp_lead_pos2

I really want to play Xbox games on my iOS device, Apple plz make a deal with ms too

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Beskamir said:

Or they could just fix their monopolistic walled garden of a platform so anyone can make their own store.

No one with an iphone actually wants that.  If we wanted open OS we'd be on Android.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

46 minutes ago, Beskamir said:

Or they could just fix their monopolistic walled garden of a platform so anyone can make their own store.

So I can have 15 shoddily coded stores because each app publisher wants 100% of the revenue from apps? Yea... no thanks. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

40 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

No one with an iphone actually wants that.  If we wanted open OS we'd be on Android.

No.... You can want the fucking phone, with by far the best CPUs of any mobile device, and a basic feature.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So I can have 15 shoddily coded stores because each app publisher wants 100% of the revenue from apps? Yea... no thanks. 

No one would be forcing you to use any other store besides the locked in walled garden iOS app store.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

No one would be forcing you to use any other store besides the locked in walled garden iOS app store.

You think these developers have any intention of keeping their apps on the iOS app store if given the option to use their own store? Epic already removed Rocket League from Steam and made it a Epic Game Store exclusive. If there's ever an Epic Game Store on iOS and Android, they're for sure planning to pull the same stunt of removing their games from those native App Stores. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

40 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You think these developers have any intention of keeping their apps on the iOS app store if given the option to use their own store? Epic already removed Rocket League from Steam and made it a Epic Game Store exclusive. If there's ever an Epic Game Store on iOS and Android, they're for sure planning to pull the same stunt of removing their games from those native App Stores. 

When Apple wants to charge devs a 30% fee on every app purchase, while ironically they allow companies like Facebook a lesser cut on fees, of course developers would want to have their own store.

On PC I have alternative stores if I don't like the Epic games store, not so with iOS.

1 hour ago, Beskamir said:

You know what would be nice? If they had a system like boot camp but for iOS and Android, so people could use android if they felt like it

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

On PC I have alternative stores if I don't like the Epic games store, not so with iOS.

Not really. It's more like which applications and games has each store held hostage. If I want to play Destiny 2 on PC, I have to download Steam as that's the only digital distribution platform that offers it. If I want to play Rocket League, my only option is the Epic Games Store. Having alternative stores just gives the illusion of choice. 

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

When Apple wants to charge devs a 30% fee on every app purchase, while ironically they allow companies like Facebook a lesser cut on fees, of course developers would want to have their own store.

And if given the choice to just have their own store even if Apple doesn't give others a cut like Facebook, they'll still do it. It's just good business. Why back yourself into giving up 30% of your revenue when you can have 100% of it? But again, we come back to "it's a business decision". It has nothing to do with giving a better customer experience which was one of the big points Epic tries to make to the public. Now if they lower prices as a result of moving to their own platform, then we might have something. Then you might be able to make the argument that it's pro-consumer. But I've yet to see anyone commit to that. 

And don't forget, Epic pulled their own little case of irony just recently too, so they're not exactly the cleanest player as well. 

Just now, epicdotexe said:

I wonder how many people buy an iPhone but need to use Android for something not on iOS.

Lots

FTFY

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

42 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

I wonder how many people buy an iPhone because they want an Android phone, lol.

0️⃣

I said nice, not profitable to apple :P

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Well well well, first Amazon now FB deal eh... Oh this can only go so well for Apple in long term...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

14 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Now if they lower prices as a result of moving to their own platform, then we might have something. Then you might be able to make the argument that it's pro-consumer. But I've yet to see anyone commit to that. 

Epic did that. They lowered the prices in fortnite when they announced the alternative payment method. 

I mean, why wouldn't they? It makes perfect sense. 

Epic still earned the same amount per sale, but with a lower price you get more sales. Customers win because they get stuff for cheaper. Epic wins because they get more sales while still having the same profit margins. The only one who lose on it is Apple because they can't just sit on their asses and collects billions of dollars from others work. 

17 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I have an iPhone, and I'd want this. So, there goes that argument.

18 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Umm, broad statement much? I would love to see that. I daily drive an iPhone XS Max.