Apple Fall Event 2020

LAwLz
2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

While Rossman sometimes has a point, he's a raving Apple hater 90% rest of the time. Like come on dude, we know you hate Apple, why the F are you still dealing with it then?

I also don't get the "e-waste" nonsensical arguments. How are chargers e-waste when they are universal and work with any device? Not to mention, if I sell device I always make sure it comes with original charger because that ups the resale value. If device dies and I'm left with a charger, I can still use it. I always need one at work and maybe have one as a backup and Apple's 5W chargers are excellent for that because the are so slim and tiny. Unlike my mega massive brick from RAVPower with 4 ports at home. Who ever says "um I don't need this" and just throws the charger away? Or do that if device dies and they don't hold on to it and just throw it away? Where is the waste part here? Or is it just an excuse to still sell the product at same full price while not having to make it as complete. Yeah, for a trillion dollar company, I'd say it's just that. When you're moving so many units even something as insignificant as 5W charger can make someone earn several more digits on their paycheck in the end. And you need to buy a separate charger.

I'd believed they care about ecology if they made the damn Apple Watch compatible with Qi charging. If they announced Apple Watch 6 with "we care about ecology" so we got rid of the charger in the box as well as proprietary magnetic cable and added Qi support on Apple Watch to make compatibility as wide a s possible, then I'd believe it. But without all those extra steps it was just a cost cutting thing that won't reflect on product in the end, but will in their own pockets.

He's dealing with it because he provides a service that Apple refuses to,and it's probably like third party mechanics that deal with BMW vehicles for example that are purposely designed to be difficult to repair as possible, yet people still buy them so it's always profitable.

But the company claiming they're reducing e-waste is just dumb marketing PR, most people will fall for it, and Rossmann has a very good point that you're paying more for a device yet they don't even give you a charger. A lot of people are going to use some cheap junk charger on their $1,500 iPhone because they assume it's just a charger.  And even worse those fake chargers which can damage the device, which Apple probably expects their customers to do so they'll come back to the store and overpay for a battery replacement or pushed into buying a new phone.

Everyone said it was great when Apple took away the headphone jack so you have to buy wireless earbuds, and no one said anything about not including earphones at all, so of course people are going to fall for the e-waste marketing.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I think I may know why Apple Watch has no Qi.  Qi is two really large antennas all wrapped up into disks set on top of each other as sender and receiver.  The disks are pretty large. Like 2+ inches across.  Much larger than a wristwatch.  They would need a different wireless standard than Qi just to make it fit. 415E606B-3EC4-4B55-87D6-426AF186CDDE.jpeg.8f83536d2fcd7f1fbced5bc20b740829.jpeg

Qi does not require such large coils. Larger coil just means more power.

Here is the coil from the Galaxy Watch, which is Qi compatible.

FSFVIMOTdY1XTORZ.jpg.68240a5ac73c06bf69ab44534217ffec.jpg

Watches charge at slower rate anyway since they have tiny battery and you can't jack it up to 18W input.

5 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

that's what they are counting on, so that you use a non apple charger to brik the chip inside it that designed to deteriorate so that you are forced to buy their charger unlike android phones that accepts any chargers. 

If you're buying an Apple Watch, then you have an iPhone, which means you have a charger. Apple is also doing this partly because the EU was considering forcing all phone makers on the USB C, and thus only have 1 type of charger so they could reduce E-Waste. So if you want to blame anyone, blame the Europeans, because they have to regulate the hell out of everything. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Qi does not require such large coils. Larger coil just means more power.

Here is the coil from the Galaxy Watch, which is Qi compatible.

FSFVIMOTdY1XTORZ.jpg.68240a5ac73c06bf69ab44534217ffec.jpg

Are apple watches large enough to make that coil fit?  Seems to be squared on two sides.  I saw Qi coils squared on 4 sides.  This was the only pic I saw with a size regrant other than yours.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Do you think they will announce the new  iPhone similarly to that of the iPhone SE 2 launch?

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Are apple watches large enough to make that coil fit?  Seems to be squared on two sides.  I saw Qi coils squared on 4 sides.  This was the only pic I saw with a size regrant other than yours.

Yes, they could fit the coil for qi inside the apple watch. The coil Apple uses isn't smaller than you can make a Qi coil. I am fairly sure the coils could be used interchangeably even. So Apple doesn't have to swap the coil to enable Qi, just the power delivery circuit. 

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes, they could fit the coil for qi inside the apple watch. The coil Apple uses isn't smaller than you can make a Qi coil. I am fairly sure the coils could be used interchangeably even. So Apple doesn't have to swap the coil to enable Qi, just the power delivery circuit. 

Argh.  Apple may have some ‘splainin to do.  Their system would need to be a lot better than Qi to justify itself. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Argh.  Apple may have some ‘splainin to do.  Their system would need to be a lot better than Qi to justify itself. 

Did some Googling and apparently the Apple Watch does use the Qi standard, but Apple has software locked it to specific devices. 

https://www.theregister.com/2015/11/19/apples_watch_charging_pad_qi/

The Apple Watch charger that comes with the device is Qi based, but the firm decided not to submit it for interoperability testing," John Perzow, VP of market development at the consortium, told The Register. "I think they are using version 1.1.2 of Qi, but the software stack has been altered so that only Apple's charger works with Watch

Found several forum posts saying similar things but the only news outlet I could find talking about it was the register or other sites citing the register as their source. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Did some Googling and apparently the Apple Watch does use the Qi standard, but Apple has software locked it to specific devices. 

https://www.theregister.com/2015/11/19/apples_watch_charging_pad_qi/

Found several forum posts saying similar things but the only news outlet I could find talking about it was the register or other sites citing the register as their source. 

Well that’s obnoxious.  Definitely ‘splaining is in order for that one.

44 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well that’s obnoxious.  Definitely ‘splaining is in order for that one.

Oh no, you don't understand. Some obscure feature may not work with every charger, so better just to give the user no choice at all.

(sarcasm)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Not just the Apple Watch the iPhone does as well. I’ve seen 3rd party chargers combos for phones and watch. I’m honestly surprised Apple uses QI and did not make a proprietary one for themselves. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Not just the Apple Watch the iPhone does as well. I’ve seen 3rd party chargers combos for phones and watch. I’m honestly surprised Apple uses QI and did not make a proprietary one for themselves. 

I have used generic qui chargers with an iPhone 7+ And a mophie back.  That works fine. Didn’t occur to me that a newer iPhone would just look at my chargers and say “no.” If it’s software that’s the kind of thing that can be futzed with. 

And a mophie back.

Thats the one with the external battery built in right? Are they any good? 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats the one with the external battery built in right? Are they any good? 

I really like it.  The killer app though is more their magnet placement than the Qi though.  Specifically for the car adapter.  It stays square. There is no clamp, or wings or whatever. It’s a plate the phone sticks to and sticks square.  If you put it in a bit cockeyed it will actually move to make itself square.  The downfall is the microUSB2 on the bottom. The battery in the sled is nice but kind of forgettable.  It’s the magnet placement and the car charger/holder that makes the thing.