Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
33 minutes ago, Niksa said:

You can like art but dislike the artist. It is perfectly fine and boycotting art because of the artist’s beliefs is stupid. 

Some examples

the writer is homophobe, but his books are great and fun? Yes I will read them and like them unless writer is pushing his agenda aggressively in the books. 
Musician is racist, but his music is pure art? Hell yes, I will listen to that music and again no racist themes are in the songs. 
Guitar player is self righteous ass****, but his compositions are great? Yes, I will listen to them. 

Depends partially on if the artist is still alive and do they gain from the patronage.  It also depends on if there is any sociopolitical ramifications to the work.  Most art through the ages that is considered important is that, though it depends a lot.  One example that comes to mind is “the absinthe drinker” a famous work that was done not because the artist gave a shit about absinthe, he didn’t and said as much, it was intended to be a skills advertising piece, but the facial expression of the subject made for good press for the anti-absinthe and anti-alcohol factions and forever altered the perception of the beverage.  The members of the anti-absinthe faction were primarily motivated financially.  Absinthe was a competing product.

Some artists do though: One recent example was a multi-ton sculpture of a gigantic heroin spoon that was dumped late one night in front of the offices of the promoters of OxyContin.

Then there was Gobbels. A film maker for Adolph hitler who made staged “news reels”.

It all depends.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Same thing applies to sports. ^  Can't even begin to count the athletes whose personality/views I dislike--but I respect their abilities on the field.

The problem with Anime' fans is they don't have filtering abilities. All Anime' is good to them, when the fact is most is pretty lousy and horribly derivative. 

As for Manga, back in the late 70s and early 80s you had Heavy Metal magazine and various offshoots. The American and European writers and illustrators in those publications were light years more creative than Manga writers.

I like South Park because its not PC. Nothing is sacred, and for that I commend them.

Beavis and Butthead commenting on MTV music videos though....yeah...that was funny stuff.

5 minutes ago, wseaton said:

I like South Park because its not PC. Nothing is sacred, and for that I commend them.

I'd have thought that being on this forum you'd quite like PCs (!)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

9 hours ago, wseaton said:

The problem with Anime' fans is they don't have filtering abilities. All Anime' is good to them, when the fact is most is pretty lousy and horribly derivative.

its more like they accept anything that is "watchable", and that one just have to get used to the "anime nonsense" to try and enjoy some shows.

Also that there are other aspects to take into consideration, so people can like it for different reasons.

IMO, Today's kids growing up with phones and tablets are going to have all the internet addiction but without any computer skills like us

2 hours ago, WickedThunder86 said:

IMO, Today's kids growing up with phones and tablets are going to have all the internet addiction but without any computer skills like us

I'd say that's (sadly) just a description of what's already happening, more than an opinion or a future prediction!

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 hours ago, WickedThunder86 said:

Worse, they'll also lack a lot of other skills.  We're pretty much at the point where humanity goes feral if the power grid goes down.  A minority of the population knows how to hunt/forage/farm.

People Complaining about having older <10 year old GPUs are annoying, 

as someone who suffers with a heavily throttling GeForce GT 540M Laptop, I find infinite pain when someone complains about something that has practically 10x the performance as what I am currently using. this is more about the people complaining and acting like they have it the worst when its Actually decent for them but much more horrible for Me and people in similar tight spots.

On 1/24/2022 at 4:16 PM, wseaton said:

Agree. Lots of anime is copy/paste concepts with different characters. Also every other anime is high schoolers being protégés of something which is just stupid. 

5 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I'd say that's (sadly) just a description of what's already happening, more than an opinion or a future prediction!

A lot of them won’t have low level skills like anything bare metal for sure.  More will have higher level skills like good Google fu though.  It may depend on how developing is done later.   I couldn’t program at all in the 80’s, but languages have changed enough that I’m not sure I can’t now if I pick something object oriented enough.  Finding someone who can grind their was through assembler could be tough though.   I read something about other much bigger problems though.  Environmental stuff.  Many of them think they will see the end of the world in their lifetimes because of it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Niksa said:

Agree. Lots of anime is copy/paste concepts with different characters. Also every other anime is high schoolers being protégés of something which is just stupid. 

i also Agree, this is why i don't like Superhero movies either. everything is just, the same. "oooo noo, man with a lot of power does bad thing, i must stop him!" there's not really much to add on without overdoing it either. Anime really does this all the same. I've found one that is just about goofy stories, one story an episode and no overarching plot lines, that'd be PaRappa The Rapper. yeah that is an Anime. amazing what Japan gets that we dont. 

7 hours ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

i also Agree, this is why i don't like Superhero movies either. everything is just, the same. "oooo noo, man with a lot of power does bad thing, i must stop him!" there's not really much to add on without overdoing it either. Anime really does this all the same. I've found one that is just about goofy stories, one story an episode and no overarching plot lines, that'd be PaRappa The Rapper. yeah that is an Anime. amazing what Japan gets that we dont. 

If you abstract enough no new story has been written since Shakespeare, and possibly before that.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

If you abstract enough no new story has been written since Shakespeare, and possibly before that.

Rise-Fall

Fall-Rise

Fall-Rise-Fall

Rise-Fall-Rise

etc.

That's pretty much every story arc.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

well. the way i see it, everything had to be written and seen before or else how may we build our new ideas exactly the way we do now? but yes, there's no excuse to almost every Anime being the same shit. watch what you want but its not exactly for us.

1 hour ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

well. the way i see it, everything had to be written and seen before or else how may we build our new ideas exactly the way we do now? but yes, there's no excuse to almost every Anime being the same shit. watch what you want but its not exactly for us.

That sounds like the screw of knowledge concept to me.  I think it was Harlan Ellison who is commonly attributed with the quote “90% of everything is crud” anime doesn’t avoid this any better than anything else.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

That sounds like the screw of knowledge concept to me.  I think it was Harlan Ellison who is commonly attributed with the quote “90% of everything is crud” anime doesn’t avoid this any better than anything else.

Definitely, if anything is new its gonna be a little good but a little iffy at best or its not gonna work out at all. like that one mission in Driver: San Fransisco, you tail yourself and it makes it a whole 2nd person experience. they did it well. but something about it just feels really odd and new. i wish someone could put more Development into the whole 2nd person idea.

2 hours ago, TrevorMcTrevorson said:

Pinecone on pizza hits different

Pine cone or pine nuts?  Pine nuts are inside unopened pine cones.  A pine cone is just a dispersal canister for pine nuts.  Pine nuts are extremely oily and some trees (I believe only in Italy) produce nuts that are incredibly expensive.  Pine nuts on a pizza might not actually be too bad, but they’re so expensive it’s likely not done.

2nd person narrative is vastly underrated in story telling.  Far from being just something "for kids" (aka: Choose your own Adventure) - it has the potential to be much more engaging and engrossing.  And to date, I've only ever seen one movie with this narrative (Hardcore Henry).  That movie had too much shakey cam and didn't even possess the raw appeal of the 5 minute sequence in DOOM.  You know...THAT sequence.

I think that events depicted can be made more visceral--especially if there are decisions to be made and consequences from those.  Suspense becomes more real.  Danger becomes more present.

28 minutes ago, MrDudeooo said:

Damn you to hell, Disney.

That reminds me...

Marvel has great products that come out... once in a while... everything else is a cookie-cutter rejection.

Mandalorian was awesome and it is the only live-action Star Wars I enjoyed (everything else felt ok and overhyped). Boba Fett is 'still under review'.

EDIT:

Also RIP Netflix Marvel shows ;(

older houses (im talking like around 90s-10s) are just plain better in terms of internal design.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

4 minutes ago, adarw said:

older houses (im talking like around 90s-10s) are just plain better in terms of internal design.

some are, some are not. sadly now there is many that pays more for quick solutions that will get people nightmares.

Some about finding the miracle cure and less time or cheaper solutions that might end up proving to be worse than older standards.

A lot about trying to cut corners, same with smart homes and their "smartness" which often can backfire.

7 hours ago, adarw said:

And on that note...

If your builder's floor plan has a 2 car garage that is 20x20:

Seriously.  IMHO, it should be illegal to design/sell an attached garage that is <25' wide, <28' long, and where the open door has a clearance of < 8' high.  I can't even count the number of people I know whose truck/vehicle is too tall for their garage--straight off the dealer's lot, brand new.  And when there's barely any room on the sides to open doors...or when you have to pull your front bumper 12" from the front wall so that the back bumper is 6" clear of the garage door---someone is cutting corners on houses.  You shouldn't have to buy a shed for all the yard equipment that should--by rights--fit onto a garage.  Sure, if you have a tractor or a 4-post lift or some other stuff, an external building/shed/barn makes sense.  But when you can't even fit a string trimmer and a push mower in your garage--with 2 parked cars--the architect needs to be soundly whipped.

7 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

some are, some are not. sadly now there is many that pays more for quick solutions that will get people nightmares.

Some about finding the miracle cure and less time or cheaper solutions that might end up proving to be worse than older standards.

A lot about trying to cut corners, same with smart homes and their "smartness" which often can backfire.

I refuse to make my home a "smart home".  Ever seen a home with an intercom system?  Or one of those automation switch panels from the 60's/70's that would turn on fireplaces or whatnot?  Those aged BADLY.  Every time someone tries to ultra-modernize with "smart features" it's pretty much the same.  I feel it actually detracts from market value, because now you have to decode/decipher how to use all the features--rather than just having physical switches or whatnot.  And what happens if those devices all use a wifi standard that goes defunct?  Or those wall outlets with USB-A built in...those are going to look pretty dated before too long, as everything is going to USB-C (many new cars only have c-type outlets).

I say this as someone who doesn't have any incandescent or fluorescent fixture/bulb anywhere on the premises.  But those are all operated with physical switches; no smartphone apps or anything.  All the color-change stuff (edge lighting on my desk, edge lit shelves in the den, electric fireplaces, etc)--all of that has physical remotes.

p.s.

Homes with "pass-through" kitchen design, irritate me.  I don't mean alcoves with a walkway behind.  I mean the kind where the only kitchen floorspace is the walkway through the kitchen, and you have to stand in the walkway to use the stove, sink, etc--and you block the walkway by opening the fridge.

Pass-through bathroom designs are even worse.  I don't care if it is a master bath.  I shouldn't have to pass through the bathroom to access a walk-in closet or get to a door to another room/outside.  Put the walk-in closet between the bedroom and bath--or better yet, put the bedroom between the closet and bath.

And while I'm ranting, can we please require all closets to have interior lighting?  Like with a proper switch, not just a crappy pull-chain?