Different sized hard drives in raid

I have a bunch of hard drives just sitting around and i would like to use them in a NAS. I have 4 500GB drives and 2 1TB drives. 3 of the 500GB are WD Blues while the other is a WD green. the 1TB drives are dell rebranded WD enterprise drives. I would like to use RAID to combine these drives into a sizable NAS for my college dorm. I was thinking something along the lines of put the 500GB in RAID 0 and the 1TB in RAID 0 then having RAID 1 those raids together. I know its not the smartest thing in the world but is it possible?

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

You'll only get the size of the smallest drive. So if you RAID 0 3x500GB drives and RAID 0 2x1TB drives then you'll get ~1.5TB of space from the subsequent RAID 1

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Pixel5 said:

it would certainly be possible but it would be really dumb.

I mean what else am i going to use them for.

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

A better solution might be to create a single volume that extends across all the drives in Windows.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-one-large-volume-using-multiple-hard-drives-windows-10

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You'll only get the size of the smallest drive. So if you RAID 0 3x500GB drives and RAID 0 2x1TB drives then you'll get ~1.5TB of space from the subsequent RAID 1

its 4 500GB. do you really think the overhead would bring me down to 1.5TB? i thought it would be around 1.8TB at the worst

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Just now, SuperCookie78 said:

its 4 500GB. do you really think the overhead would bring me down to 1.5TB? i thought it would be around 1.8TB at the worst

Oh, for some reason I thought you said 3 500GB drives. I mean in that case yah, 2TB or ~1.8TB usable.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

A better solution might be to create a single volume that extends across all the drives in Windows.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-one-large-volume-using-multiple-hard-drives-windows-10

i would likely wouldn't be using windows as my OS for the NAS.

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Assuming that RAID 0 works at all for non-identical performing drives (if that WD Green is not 7200rpm like the WD Blues you're going to run into issues) then that could work nicely.  However if you are trying to make a RAID 0+1 setup using the 2 1TB HDDs, you may find that RAID treats the 1 TB drives as 500GB drives which would be terribly inefficient.

You might have more success if you ran the two 1 TB HDDs in RAID 1 as a parity backup for important things, and 3 of the WD Blues in RAID 0 for fast storage of less important media (such as Steam downloads in the case of my 3x 750 GB RAID 0 setup).  The WD Green could be for storage of old files, cloud storage hard offline backups, movies, whatever suits your fancy.

Edit: Forgot to add, I think that if you ran 4 RAID 0 drives in RAID 1 with 2 other RAID 0 drives, you would lose the speed benefit of having 4x drives in RAID 0 because the write-speed of the 2x drives in RAID 0 bottlenecks the write-speed of the other 4 synced drives.

5 minutes ago, Zenith_X1 said:

Assuming that RAID 0 works at all for non-identical performing drives (if that WD Green is not 7200rpm like the WD Blues you're going to run into issues) then that could work nicely.  However if you are trying to make a RAID 0+1 setup using the 2 1TB HDDs, you may find that RAID treats the 1 TB drives as 500GB drives which would be terribly inefficient.

You might have more success if you ran the two 1 TB HDDs in RAID 1 as a parity backup for important things, and 3 of the WD Blues in RAID 0 for fast storage of less important media (such as Steam downloads in the case of my 3x 750 GB RAID 0 setup).  The WD Green could be for storage of old files, cloud storage hard offline backups, movies, whatever suits your fancy.

I was thinking maybe just selling the green and buying a blue. raiding the 500GB together to get a 2TB pool. then raiding the 1TB together to get 2TB then RAID 1 on those pools. so it would be RAID 0+0+1. I could also RAID 0 the 2 500 to make 1TB twice, then RAID 10 the 4 1 TB drives.

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

6 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

I was thinking maybe just selling the green and buying a blue. raiding the 500GB together to get a 2TB pool. then raiding the 1TB together to get 2TB then RAID 1 on those pools. so it would be RAID 0+0+1. I could also RAID 0 the 2 500 to make 1TB twice, then RAID 10 the 4 1 TB drives.

Edited my post too late, so I'll rephrase with what you replied.  I think that if you ran 4 RAID 0 drives in RAID 1 with 2 other RAID 0 drives, you would lose the speed benefit of having 4x drives in RAID 0 because the write-speed of the 2x drives in RAID 0 bottlenecks the write-speed of the other 4 synced drives.  If that speed bonus doesn't matter then cool.  I like your new idea of running 2x (1TB + 2x500GB) in RAID 1 a lot more because that better distributes the risk in the event of drive failures.

2 minutes ago, Zenith_X1 said:

Edited my post too late, so I'll rephrase with what you replied.  I think that if you ran 4 RAID 0 drives in RAID 1 with 2 other RAID 0 drives, you would lose the speed benefit of having 4x drives in RAID 0 because the write-speed of the 2x drives in RAID 0 bottlenecks the write-speed of the other 4 synced drives.  If that speed bonus doesn't matter then cool.  I like your new idea of running 2x (1TB + 2x500GB) in RAID 1 a lot more because that better distributes the risk in the event of drive failures.

i mean if i was after speed i could just RAID 0 the 500GB together then raid 0 the 1TB together. But instead of RAID 1 the pools together i just have it clone the 500GB array to the 1TB array every night while i'm asleep. but I think I like my new idea of 2x 2 500GB raid 0'ed giving me 4 1TB drive to work with. But with that now i have the option for RAID 5 which would give me an extra TB of usable space but means i could only use 1 1TB drive.

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Synology actually has an option to enable using different sized drives, which is called SHR. (Synology Hybrid RAID)

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/What_is_Synology_Hybrid_RAID_SHR

The thing is tho, you need a Synology NAS.

Unless...

https://xpenology.org
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6901-dsm-6-where-is-option-to-use-shr/

Never tried it, but maybe worth a shot?

Or if you're still building a box for the NAS anyways, you might think about buying a used Synology NAS.

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

9 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

i mean if i was after speed i could just RAID 0 the 500GB together then raid 0 the 1TB together. But instead of RAID 1 the pools together i just have it clone the 500GB array to the 1TB array every night while i'm asleep. but I think I like my new idea of 2x 2 500GB raid 0'ed giving me 4 1TB drive to work with. But with that now i have the option for RAID 5 which would give me an extra TB of usable space but means i could only use 1 1TB drive.

I didn't know what your use case was for the NAS

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Synology actually has an option to enable using different sized drives, which is called SHR. (Synology Hybrid RAID)

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/What_is_Synology_Hybrid_RAID_SHR

The thing is tho, you need a Synology NAS.

Unless...

https://xpenology.org
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6901-dsm-6-where-is-option-to-use-shr/

Never tried it, but maybe worth a shot?

Or if you're still building a box for the NAS anyways, you might think about buying a used Synology NAS.

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

I always used their RAD calculator and had no idea what SHR was. I have not built the box yet so a synology box might be an option. SHR would basically be RAID 5 of my new plan of 2 arrays of 2 500GB raid 0 and 2 1TB. SHR-2 leaves 1TB unused. 

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

4 minutes ago, Zenith_X1 said:

I didn't know what your use case was for the NAS

at the moment just off loading twitch vods, youtube videos, and raw recordings. i might let some of my roommates use it but i don't think they need it. 

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

4 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

at the moment just off loading twitch vods, youtube videos, and raw recordings. i might let some of my roommates use it but i don't think they need it. 

That's really cool.  RAID 5 is a nice choice for maximizing that space with redundancy as long as the NAS has a RAID controller that can create a RAID 5 array.  I believe some older, cheaper designs were only capable of RAID 0, 1, and 10, but that may have changed by now.  RAID 5 is more complicated as you probably already know

Edit:  Did some quick research, yep RAID 5 is perfect for this

unRAID allows you to have drives of different sizes in the system. However, one of the drives is reserved for parity, and it needs to be equal or bigger than the biggest drive in the system.

unRAID goes through your data bit-wise and calcualtes uneven parity, so it would look something like this for two drives of different size:

Parity = Drive 1 = x TB, Drive 0 = y TB, x > y

| Drive 0        | Drive 1         | Parity

Data   | 1                  | 0                  | 0              # 1+0+0=1, uneven parity

Data   | 1                  | 1                  | 1              # 1+1+1=1, uneven parity
Data   | 0                  | 0                  | 1              # 0+0+1=1, uneven parity
Data   | missing = 0  | 1                  | 0              # 0+1+0=1, uneven parity

Drive 1 is larger than Drive 0, but it needs to be <= Parity drive so parity can be calculated. However, if any data is missing for the comparison (because drive 0 is smaller), the system just assumes a 0 and can still calculate the parity.

This also allows on-the-fly expansion of your storage. You can add a new drive at any time.

PS. It is recommended to use a high-speed drive (I use a SATA III SSD) as a cache drive, since writing to mass storage in unRAID is slow.

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

Depending what you intend to use it, if you want redundancy with MAX capacity:

On 1TB drives create 2 partitions of 500GB.

Create one RAID5 with 4 500GB drives and 2 500GB partitions on 1TB drive. That's 2.5TB.

You now have 2x500GB leftover, so use RAID1 on that, which is 500GB.

Now, depending what you want - you can use one 2.5TB and 500GB RAID for whatever you need.

You can:

1) Use them separately, 2.5TB and 500GB

2) You can create spanned drive, so concatenate those two as one 3TB drive

3) You can put them in LVM, and carve out what you want out of them.

One thing to keep in mind - if accessing 500GB RAID at same time as 2.5TB RAID, you will have performance penalty. For using it as a storage, that's fine though. If you ware worried about this, simply ignore second 500GB RAID, and do not use it.

I would second unRAID try it for free for up to 60 days I think for your use case it would apply take your largest drive as parity the rest is the total of the remaining drives and as stated when you need more just chuck another drive of any size as long as its not larger than parity but that is not a problem either if you get your hands on a deal for a larger drive just make that the parity drive and pull down the original into the array and your golden

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410